Does something like this in the electric guitar world) already exist?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Heigen5

02 Jun 2020

This is my visioning from the past.. not sure if it exists or not yet, but I'm thinking how some electric guitar could have the leds below the strings that would show you a certain kind of a chord. So if you'd want a GMinor or any other chord you'd just let it been shown with the leds. I got an electric guitar for free from my neighbor and thought how it would be a straight forward way to learn it, if the leds would show you the lefthand examples in this way.

guitfnky

02 Jun 2020

I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Heigen5

03 Jun 2020

Ok - seems like this is doing what I was after. I guess that I would start with the basics, if I'd get this type of a guitar. The basic chords and basic lefthand stuff. I am a keyboardist mostly, but might be interested to learn a bit of guitar too. Thanks for posting this guitfnky!

DaveyG

03 Jun 2020

I've not used one but will you be able to see the LEDs if you hold the guitar normally? You might end up learning a weird lap guitar technique.

guitfnky

03 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020
I've not used one but will you be able to see the LEDs if you hold the guitar normally? You might end up learning a weird lap guitar technique.
nah, when you start playing guitar, you do a lot of hunching over to see the fretboard anyway (hell, I still do it, and I’ve been playing a long time 😅). this would probably just be a natural extension of that. no idea how well the technology actually works, but I imagine there are enough reviews out there to figure out whether it might be worth a shot. it’s a pretty good idea, at least.

fullforce

03 Jun 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
02 Jun 2020
This is my visioning from the past.. not sure if it exists or not yet, but I'm thinking how some electric guitar could have the leds below the strings that would show you a certain kind of a chord. So if you'd want a GMinor or any other chord you'd just let it been shown with the leds. I got an electric guitar for free from my neighbor and thought how it would be a straight forward way to learn it, if the leds would show you the lefthand examples in this way.
You could try Rocksmith.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

DaveyG

03 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020
nah, when you start playing guitar, you do a lot of hunching over to see the fretboard anyway (hell, I still do it, and I’ve been playing a long time 😅). this would probably just be a natural extension of that. no idea how well the technology actually works, but I imagine there are enough reviews out there to figure out whether it might be worth a shot. it’s a pretty good idea, at least.
In about 1980, my mate gave me the best piece of advice ever regarding me learning the guitar. He said never practice sitting down. So I didn't. It's slightly more difficult and tiring in the beginning, but you soon learn to feel the frets and positions without really looking and it pays you back massively when you want to perform with a band.

Of course, none of this applies if you are learning classical:

guitfnky

03 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020

In about 1980, my mate gave me the best piece of advice ever regarding me learning the guitar. He said never practice sitting down. So I didn't. It's slightly more difficult and tiring in the beginning, but you soon learn to feel the frets and positions without really looking and it pays you back massively when you want to perform with a band.

not bad advice, especially if you’d prefer to keep your strap length about where most rock musicians do. I learned pretty quickly that I don’t like having to crank my left wrist over when standing up, or reaching my strumming hand down toward the strings, so I always kept my strap hiked up. doesn’t look cool, but I’ve never really cared about that, and my standing practice has never felt much different than when I’m sitting.

DaveyG

03 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020

not bad advice, especially if you’d prefer to keep your strap length about where most rock musicians do. I learned pretty quickly that I don’t like having to crank my left wrist over when standing up, or reaching my strumming hand down toward the strings, so I always kept my strap hiked up. doesn’t look cool, but I’ve never really cared about that, and my standing practice has never felt much different than when I’m sitting.
Haha! You might have my measure. I can play more accurately with a short strap but I play with more attitude with a low-slung guitar. But you'll find me raising the neck for the tricky bits and as I get older the guitar is getting a little higher but I'll never admit it.. :o

guitfnky

03 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020

Haha! You might have my measure. I can play more accurately with a short strap but I play with more attitude with a low-slung guitar. But you'll find me raising the neck for the tricky bits and as I get older the guitar is getting a little higher but I'll never admit it.. :o
😆 hey, whatever gets the job done! I can’t play with more attitude if I can’t play, so I’m over here with the guitar strung like a necklace like I was in a 60s band, minus the talent! 😂

DaveyG

04 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2020
so I’m over here with the guitar strung like a necklace like I was in a 60s band, minus the talent! 😂
I'm lower and a decade later, but still minus the talent. :thumbs_up:

gullum

07 Jun 2020

it would be just as easy to have a cord book in front of you. Because you would still need to look where to place your finger and with the LEDs your finger might get in the way anyway.

• Information