Does it matter what USB cord to use with controller?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Mistro17

29 May 2020

I just got a new Akai MPK249 and was surprised that it came with a 3'3" usb cord. It's too short for my set up. The old one I have (Akai MPK49) have a 6 foot cord allowing more room between my desktop and the keyboard. Before I just go ahead and plug in my old 6' cord, I want to make sure that it's safe. Are these cords specially made for each controller type or am I safe to plug in the one from my Akai MPK49? I'm paranoid because I once bought a new power supply for my PC and ended up frying 3 hard drives because I used the connecting wires from the old power supply thinking it didn't matter.

DaveyG

29 May 2020

It's mostly fine. You can't damage anything but a cheap or low current cable might fail to power the keyboard correctly.
But you can't break it so just try it.

orthodox
RE Developer

30 May 2020

Any cable will do. Midi keyboards consume very little power and don't need much transmission rate.

Heigen5

30 May 2020

If the USB plugs match they should be safe to be connected. I as well use my old wire for my new midi keyboard.

EdGrip

30 May 2020

Yep. The thing to remember is a USB cable carries digital data, not audio, so there can be no concerns about "audio quality" in 0s and 1s. This is doubly true if the cable is for a controller, which is just sending 1980s MIDI data.

However! There might be physical considerations to be aware of - for instance, my Ableton Push 2 has a recessed socket for the USB connection and I had to pay close attention to the specs of the connector when I was shopping for a longer cable, to make sure it would fit in the hole. (A brand called Syncwire if anyone's looking)

Mistro17

30 May 2020

Thanks! I used my old 6' cable and it works fine. Would've replied sooner but got deep into some music :)

miyaru

02 Jun 2020

EdGrip wrote:
30 May 2020
Yep. The thing to remember is a USB cable carries digital data, not audio, so there can be no concerns about "audio quality" in 0s and 1s. This is doubly true if the cable is for a controller, which is just sending 1980s MIDI data.

However! There might be physical considerations to be aware of - for instance, my Ableton Push 2 has a recessed socket for the USB connection and I had to pay close attention to the specs of the connector when I was shopping for a longer cable, to make sure it would fit in the hole. (A brand called Syncwire if anyone's looking)
I had to look to for a longer cable for my Push2, and took some time, it is not advised to use an extension cable with Push2, altough I never tried that.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

• Information