Trying out new DAW

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Robert Wade

29 Apr 2020

I am trying out Ableton live currently and I don't know why it feels like that Ableton's instruments don't sound great at the moment.

Is it because Ableton's instruments need some tweaking (echo, delay,etc.) to sound good?

Earlier I was using Garageband and its instruments sounded much better.

Or is it just in my head?

alexawiliams784

30 Apr 2020

You Are Right! Most of the DAWs applications need tweaking. Personally I am not using the Garageband application because I don;t have a macbook. I hired one person that processed the audio by using a lot of effects and tweaking to give that modern and recognizable sound.

Btw have you tried to run Garageband on windows? I have tried some unofficial ways to do it but didn’t get any success. Any ideas?
Alex Williams

Creativemind

30 Apr 2020

Robert Wade wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I am trying out Ableton live currently and I don't know why it feels like that Ableton's instruments don't sound great at the moment.

Is it because Ableton's instruments need some tweaking (echo, delay,etc.) to sound good?

Earlier I was using Garageband and its instruments sounded much better.

Or is it just in my head?
Ableton's instruments (or should say patches) do sound mediocre yeah or at least they did when I tried them. Reason and FL Studio I think have the best instruments and patches and Logic does I think too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Robert Wade

03 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Ableton's instruments (or should say patches) do sound mediocre yeah or at least they did when I tried them. Reason and FL Studio I think have the best instruments and patches and Logic does I think too.
Thanks mate! I think I am gonna shift towards Logic PRO X soon. I am losing my patience with Ableton now. It is good a DAW but just not giving me the satisfaction.

Robert Wade

03 May 2020

alexawiliams784 wrote:
30 Apr 2020
You Are Right! Most of the DAWs applications need tweaking. Personally I am not using the Garageband application because I don;t have a macbook. I hired one person that processed the audio by using a lot of effects and tweaking to give that modern and recognizable sound.

Btw have you tried to run Garageband on windows? I have tried some unofficial ways to do it but didn’t get any success. Any ideas?
You are talking about Ableton, right? How long did it take in your case to sound them good?
I have never tried to run garageband on windows and before your post I did not even know if that is possible but google says it is. I found this article, see if any of them works for you. I would suggest you buy a macOS system instead.

Oquasec

03 May 2020

The daws with the best stock plugins in the planet? bout 5-6 of em.
Cubase,Presonus,FLS,Ableton,Reason & Logic prolly got the best stock plugs on the planet at the moment.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Scruffager

03 May 2020

I am not a huge fan of Ableton's default instruments either.
Mac OS 10.14.6, Reason 11, Presonus Quantum 2 TB3, Adam Audio A7X monitors, Roland Aira System 1

https://soundcloud.com/scruffager

Sterioevo

03 May 2020

The simpler/sampler (combined with the capability of chains) is very powerful, on a level that is not easily accessible in Reason.
Ableton effects are good as well.
I mainly use Reason as instruments, but Abletons instruments are very capable.

EdGrip

04 May 2020

Yeah, I must say I have been enjoying Live Suite's built-in effects and instruments. It's good stuff. Many of them are quite simple compared to VSTs I've accumulated, or even Reason stock instruments, but simple isn't always a bad thing.

Don't pick a DAW based on the stock devices, I'd suggest. You pick up the fun instruments and effects as you go. Pick the DAW based on the workflow you connect with.

EdwardKiy

04 May 2020

offended.JPG
offended.JPG (82.17 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Sorry, too hard to resist :D :lol:

EdGrip

04 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
04 May 2020
offended.JPG

Sorry, too hard to resist :D :lol:
Justice might have something to say about that.

#ProducedInGarageband

Creativemind

04 May 2020

Oquasec wrote:
03 May 2020
The daws with the best stock plugins in the planet? bout 5-6 of em.
Cubase,Presonus,FLS,Ableton,Reason & Logic prolly got the best stock plugs on the planet at the moment.
I'll second FLS for stock plug-ins and sounds. Incredible. It seems to me only Reason, Logic and FL Studio have a great arsenal of inspiring patches straight out the box.

I'd urge the OP to try FL Studio before he makes his mind up. Bit gutted the other day to find Transistor Bass (fantastic 303 emulation) and Sawer (Polivoks emulation) not included in the Producer edition but for £153 with lifetime free updates, bargain.

To the OP - I would just like to add about FL Studio, it sucks in terms of recording audio or guitar in the playlist (Arranger / Sequencer) as it has no Comping or Transient Detection / Quantizing of Audio that you can quickly do in Reason. One of it's major let downs but has 90% of all other features people state are missing from Reason on this site.

Some I will mention:-

Linked / Aliased Clips
Punch In / Out
Time Markers
Draw In-able Automation Shapes
Track Folders
Autosave
Undo History
Truncated Notes (Midi Chase)
Manual Parameter Inputs with Copy / Paste
Notepad
Video Support
90% Vectoral (scaleable)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

visheshl

04 May 2020

I mainly use ableton as a host for RRP now, i dont use any ableton device, ive saved RRP patches in ableton for quick use, stuff like filters, reverb, delay etc, RRP is awesome, but ableton is awesome in terms of features and ease of use...so best of both worlds.. i also bought touchable pro for Android, its great for controlling live from a tablet...if only they could figure out midi controller stuff for RRP devices, it would be the perfect music production environment.

EdwardKiy

04 May 2020

EdGrip wrote:
04 May 2020
Justice might have something to say about that.
Not that it matters which DAW anyone uses to make music, but I'm pretty sure Justice use Cubase and hardware. GarageBand is probably used as a simple interface to work with vocalists. Like in "Randy", where a simple piano melody was written for the vocalist to sing to and then deleted afterwards. I can see how this simplifies the process if you have to work with a lot of people remotely.
technohere.JPG
technohere.JPG (76.76 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

• Information