Empress Zoia, is it worthy?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

I need to sell the Sh-01A...

[edited- I did not understand that visual notes was not zoia but ORCA... - sill don't understand the sequencer-midi out capabilities of theis thing...]

Audio to midi seems to be a thing
Last edited by Re8et on 16 Apr 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

Imagine this thing but you could load Reason players instead...

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

Without a pc editor, how is it possible to make patches gives me a massive headache tho... all those buttons I have literally no idea what they do, and the manual doesn't say nothing about creating pacth... massive disappointment... the owner manual is just a joke!

the patchstorage is also about... instructions on how to make the patch, so no actual upload of patches??
zoia patch instructions....JPG
zoia patch instructions....JPG (131.46 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Ah, ok, no it's possible to upload patches/

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

In sequencer module it turns the keyboard to a 32 step sequencer.... nice... then it can output midi, and has an external cv reset - alter notes modules as well...

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

Just wow...

Jackjackdaw

16 Apr 2020

I get the arguments for tactile hardware but when it comes to this, wtf? It's like programming a vcr.

jayhosking

16 Apr 2020

The Zoia is a pretty fun and versatile way to design custom effects for your setup in a way that other hardware just can't. For example, I often run audio through multiple pathways using a variety of vibrato, amp simulation, delay, and reverb, to create a unique, degraded tone. And on top of that, you can use LFOs to control any particular aspects of the settings along the way. Setting up a patch only takes a minute or two for effects.

It does have some pretty substantial limitations; the CPU can't handle too many effects at once, editing patches is a mental pain, complicated patches are basically inscrutable, the effects modules aren't as comprehensive as I'd like, and, notably, doing things other than effects basically feels like you're going against the design of the thing. But for a way to quickly generate boutique effects in that fun Reason way of wiring things together, I think the Zoia is totally worth giving a shot.

• Information