What is the best midi controller out there

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
yannmonette

14 Apr 2020

Hi
Im new to reason and am on the market for a good midi controller for reason 11
budget is 500-1000$
semi-weighted plus good pads ideally
Thanks in advance

demt

14 Apr 2020

nektar p6 or the new range i carnt remember the details, The p6 has many surporters on this forum
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

yannmonette

14 Apr 2020

demt wrote:
14 Apr 2020
nektar p6 or the new range i carnt remember the details, The p6 has many surporters on this forum
Yeah i was looking into the p6, the new range is cheaper but looks cheaper as well im just worried cause the p6 is old-ish...
can't seem to find recent reviews of it and reason 11 but its definitely one of my favourite look-wise.

Thanks

pushedbutton

14 Apr 2020

I wouldn't worry about age when it comes to midi controllers, innovation in that field is pretty slow these days. MIDI isn't exactly cutting edge technology in 2020
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

yannmonette

14 Apr 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
14 Apr 2020
I wouldn't worry about age when it comes to midi controllers, innovation in that field is pretty slow these days. MIDI isn't exactly cutting edge technology in 2020
Yeah i just meant the whole auto-mapping and stuff but whatever you're right i guess age isn't or shouldn't be a factor

lrey

16 Apr 2020

A few months ago I was in the market for a new controller. After doing much research, I decided on the Arturia Keylab 61 Essential. It's the cheaper version of the regular Keylab 61(which is built like a tank). The Keylab checked off every need I was looking for. One of the main criteria I was looking for was long-term "driver support." I want a keyboard controller that I know will still work years from now... not a doorstop. I've owned a few M-Audio products in the past and because of their lack of support and updates of their drivers, I can't use those products anymore on today's OS's.

So yeah, my recommendation would be to support a company that has a good history of keeping their products' drivers updated.

djs

16 Apr 2020

I find that the best midi keyboards that integrates well with Reason are Nektar. The latest Nektar T4/T6 is extremely fluid with Reason with PoohBear's mappings. It's keys and pads are more solid and full compared to the P4/P6, and does everything the P4/P6 does minus the colored screen and motorized fader. It's cheaper as well. I'd pick the T4.

• Information