Pls recommend synth to complement Peak!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
svenh

10 Apr 2020

Thinking about getting another hardware synth. I am a hobby musician that make songs in a DAW (live) and I use a lot of virtual instruments. I want to make pop music and melodic EDM (you could check out https://soundcloud.com/svenhe to see what I mean).

Some time ago, I bought my first hardware synth, a Novation Peak. I have designed quite a bit of sounds in VST synths, but I wanted the more direct hands on feeling of turning knobs rather than fiddling with the computer mouse. And I like it a lot.

I have started looking for another synth, complementing the Peak. For fun, for creativity. I don't have that much space in my studio so the synth can not be too big, but I still think it would be nice with a keyboard rather than another desktop. I find it *slightly* cumbersome to hook up the Peak via midi to use it - it would be nice with something that I could just plug into the wall outlet, connect headphones and go! I want something where most functions are easy accessible without a lot of menu diving! And it should be fairly intuitive to use.

I am currently interested in Korg Monologue XD, Modal Argon 8 and ASM Hydrasynth. Do you think that any of those could be a nice second synth? Any other suggestion? (I can not really afford a much more expensive synth than those mentioned.)

Thanks,
Sven

jayhosking

11 Apr 2020

I've had the Peak for some time and really liked it. Recently I picked up the Argon8 and Hydrasynth at the same time. After a trial period, I've sold the Argon8 and I also sold the Peak and have kept the Hydra.

The Argon8 really didn't do much to me, and while the body was sturdily made, the knobs feel truly terrible.

I ultimately liked the Hydra more than the Peak because: 1) I think the raw oscillators sound better, 2) It has some important features that the Peak didn't (e.g. panning individual oscillators per voice, 3) It has two filters rather than one, and a variety of filter types that all sound pretty great, 4) Critically, the polyaftertouch keybed and ribbon are truly marvellous and a joy to play. The Hydra is remarkably expressive and beautiful, whereas I've always liked the Peak but always found myself working against its sound to get the sound I wanted.

Here's the first track I put together with the Hydra, if you're curious:

I'll miss the Peak's reverb, though. It's second to none, and truly a joy. The reverb on the Hydra is adequate at best (although still worlds better than on the Argon8).

So I'd consider the Hydra if you're looking to replace the Peak with a performance poly, but I can't see a great reason to own both, personally.

If you're looking for something to complement the Peak, I'd consider aiming for something that the Peak doesn't do. An all-analogue unit like the Moog Grandmother (or, if you're willing to make the space, the Matriarch, which is superb) would give you plenty of sound that the Peak doesn't. And if you're looking for a little more modern bite and less vintage synth, consider the excellent Moog Subsequent line (25 or 37, though I prefer the 37 layout). Best of luck!

svenh

12 Apr 2020

Yes, maybe all of the synths I mention overlap the Peak too much. It may be more intersting to go for a good all-analogue one. Thanks jayhosking for your thoughts, and nice track!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2020

You should look at Sequential Pro 3. Probably the most interesting one out there at the moment. I listened to it at NAMM, amazing…
It's userfriendliness is probably second to none.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

svenh

12 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
12 Apr 2020
You should look at Sequential Pro 3. Probably the most interesting one out there at the moment. I listened to it at NAMM, amazing…
It's userfriendliness is probably second to none.
Yet another option... Sounds interesting though after watching a Youtube video. Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

12 Apr 2020

I already mentioned this on your Redit post, but I love my MiniBrute (2s) as a companion to Peak and my growing Eurorack modules.
Selig Audio, LLC

svenh

12 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
12 Apr 2020
I already mentioned this on your Redit post, but I love my MiniBrute (2s) as a companion to Peak and my growing Eurorack modules.
Would you say that MiniBrute is isinspiring on its own or do you need extra Eurorack modules to make it interesting?

selig
RE Developer

13 Apr 2020

svenh wrote:
12 Apr 2020
selig wrote:
12 Apr 2020
Would you say that MiniBrute is isinspiring on its own or do you need extra Eurorack modules to make it interesting?
I find it interesting on it's own, but not in a "modular" way so much as a flexible way - meaning, I rarely need it to do much more than what a few patch cords can achieve (because I already have modules for the super complex stuff). I also find the sequencer often gets used for the modular, if only because I'm more often using MiniBrute as a bass synth (probably the #1 use of a basic mono synth for my music). But even for a mono synth, it's not really let me down because of it's well thought out feature set. I'd probably call it my favorite mono synth at the moment, though if money was no object I'd say the Sequential Pro 3 may steal that position (at the price of some poly synths).
Selig Audio, LLC

svenh

13 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
13 Apr 2020
svenh wrote:
12 Apr 2020

I find it interesting on it's own, but not in a "modular" way so much as a flexible way - meaning, I rarely need it to do much more than what a few patch cords can achieve (because I already have modules for the super complex stuff). I also find the sequencer often gets used for the modular, if only because I'm more often using MiniBrute as a bass synth (probably the #1 use of a basic mono synth for my music). But even for a mono synth, it's not really let me down because of it's well thought out feature set. I'd probably call it my favorite mono synth at the moment, though if money was no object I'd say the Sequential Pro 3 may steal that position (at the price of some poly synths).
Makes sense, thanks again for your thoughts!

SarahSimm

18 Dec 2020

I'm using Novation Summit and all I can say is that it's great.
But I also heard a lot of good about Korg Monologue. Found this comparison review, you might be interested.

OR have you already got something for you? Share with us :)

PhillipOrdonez

18 Dec 2020

I'd look for something that would allow me to play the peak as well. Ideally an analogue monosynth to complement the poly he already owns. 🤷‍♂️

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2020

SarahSimm wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I'm using Novation Summit and all I can say is that it's great.
But I also heard a lot of good about Korg Monologue. Found this comparison review, you might be interested.

OR have you already got something for you? Share with us :)
Quick question - did you have Peak first, or go directly to Summit? I'm totally happy with Peak but damn, Summit sure looks like a sweet upgrade (if cost wasn't an issue). Wondering if you can compare Summit to Peak from your experience?
Otherwise, HydraSynth is also tempting me in the hardware world, or maybe it's time to get another Eurorack started to compliment my RackBrute 6U (which is pretty much full at this point).
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

18 Dec 2020

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Dec 2020

Both of Korg's recent digital offerings would be a good complement. Wavestate for sure, and also the new Opsix:

• Information