#NotThatZoom

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

04 Apr 2020

It's driving me crazy! Lol

Zoom (the original) which was founded in 1983, is one of my favorite companies. My first Zoom product was the ST-224. It's what I used to write and sequence all of my songs before Reason.

And since then I've owned the Zoom H4n, H5, and F1. I'm currently eyeing the Q6-VR and F6. I'm very excited about having a 360 audio and video recorder in one and an audio recorder with 32-bit float recording. They make really great stuff. I feel like their name became most synonymous with the H4n—people in the industry would refer to the H4n as "the Zoom." And still people ask if I'm recording with a Zoom.

Now, with the other Zoom (video conferencing software) in the news with the FBI warnings and all, people who aren't familiar are getting the two confused. It's unfortunate. Maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe this Zoom won't be affected by it. But I've found myself correcting numerous people, who are telling people to "stay away" and linking to the FBI warning, when replying to posts made by Zoom or friends posting about their Zoom products :?

They are both tech companies with a bit of overlap. For instance, Zoom (the original) makes audio interfaces, handheld recorders that double as audio interfaces, cameras, etc. all which can serve for live streaming and conferencing. Their cameras support live streaming—one of the cool features of the upcoming Q6-VR.

Anyways, just a bit of frustration. I wish the other Zoom (est. 2011) would change their name lol. I'm also thinking of starting a hashtag campaign where people create posts with pictures of their Zoom products with #NotThatZoom #TheOriginal :mrgreen:

Proboscis

05 Apr 2020

I also love my Zoom recorder, although I've rarely used it. Picked it up with the intention to capture some field sounds, maybe I will do some day-trips over the next few months since everything is shut down and I'm isolated from friends and family. Currently we're able to go outside, but no congregations of people. Also, so many flights are cancelled, so its a great time to record outdoors without unwanted sounds in the environment.

I remember reading something from you a while back Joey, about a 'surround sound' technique (I forgot what you called it), that I would like to try with a few external mics on stands.

Have actually heard of Zoom Video Conferencing for a few years, and I still have to think twice when I see a billboard advertisement, before realizing it's not Zoom Japan.

I wrote a Security Statement for an organisation's web page only yesterday, who I am helping move their activities to Zoom, so I did quite a bit of my own research.... what a mess, those vulnerabilities are inexcusable. This is their chance to grow as a business beyond their wildest dreams, with the world discovering their services, but to be hit with such bad press may impede their growth.

In saying that though, of all those I have been speaking with who are on Zoom, or about to, none of them had even heard of these security problems. Probably because they are 'Average Joe' types who don't ever read much online media, and definitely not tech news. Which is why I wanted to outline some best-practice suggestions to keep them safe.

I implore all of you reading this to do some research, and pass the info on to others in your communities if they are starting to use Zoom Video Conferencing.

East Island

05 Apr 2020

it is also a photo magazine in the Netherlands. And probably in more places around the world.

https://www.reshiftstore.nl/index.asp?BLAD=ZOOM

My point is, don't worry about this ...
Zoom will continue to make music products.

I own the MS-50G, a nice thing. especially for the price (second hand).
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

• Information