Anybody using Sidecar with macOS Catalina?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

Sidecar would be the reason for me to upgrade. Not only my personal computer, but work computers as well. And even though it says my computer is compatible with Catalina, I'm hesitant. And everything is working great right now on all computers.

I also see that Sidecar requires Bluetooth and WiFi to be on and only works within 30 feet...well it says 10 meters (30 feet), so maybe ~33 feet? Which measurement is rounded? Lol

Aside from using my iPad as a second display, I'd love for it to work as a remote desktop from a further distance and replace QLab Remote in some situations when I'm designing sound for theatre, but I guess it loses connection altogether outside of that? Anybody using it that can confirm? Many of the theaters in which I work, I would be out of that range moving around the house and on stage.

QLab Remote does work really great (an app for controlling QLab on macOS that connects over just WiFi). I can edit everything with no discernible latency, but of course, if I want to replace and add sounds located on the computer's hard drive, I have to head back to the mix position to do that from the computer. I do also use my MacBook as a Remote Desktop over Cat5 during tech rehearsal, but that's when I setup a table etc. at a specific position in the house, and of course it's cabled and the cable is taped down.

I guess there is other third party software to consider that works similarly to Sidecar, if I don't want to take the plunge with Catalina. But the reviews for Sidecar have been really great. I'm not quite sure how Sidecar works... One article I read said that it uses Bluetooth for the initial connection and then WiFi for data.

madmacman

31 Mar 2020

Unfortunately, my iPad (Air 2) is too old. So I have a new MacBook, but no matching iPad. While the connection was possible during Beta, Apple later did restrict the availability to recent iPad models only (no matter which iOS).

But: I have the 3rd party solution "Duet" for a few years now. It works quite well (with cable - not wireless; or wireless only in subscription version? I can't remember), but I couldn't see added value in the long run. I already dropped remote usage of Reason (retouch) and since I have a fixed workplace at home with an additional external 24" monitor, the options for the iPad were few. I currently use it as control center for my Presonus interface, which is very handy.

There seems to be a hack out there to enable older devices for Sidecar. I haven't tried it. But maybe Apple is not evil this time and withhelds features, but they have decided so due to suboptimal user experience.

joeyluck

31 Mar 2020

madmacman wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Unfortunately, my iPad (Air 2) is too old. So I have a new MacBook, but no matching iPad. While the connection was possible during Beta, Apple later did restrict the availability to recent iPad models only (no matter which iOS).

But: I have the 3rd party solution "Duet" for a few years now. It works quite well (with cable - not wireless; or wireless only in subscription version? I can't remember), but I couldn't see added value in the long run. I already dropped remote usage of Reason (retouch) and since I have a fixed workplace at home with an additional external 24" monitor, the options for the iPad were few. I currently use it as control center for my Presonus interface, which is very handy.

There seems to be a hack out there to enable older devices for Sidecar. I haven't tried it. But maybe Apple is not evil this time and withhelds features, but they have decided so due to suboptimal user experience.
Ok thanks. Yeah I'm definitely most interested in the wireless aspect. The better solution for me for now might just be using a remote desktop and deal with whatever latency.

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Apr 2020

I've been using Sidecar for a couple of weeks now while working from home. Two points:

- It's not really a control solution. You can't click on anything unless you have an Apple Pencil. If you're looking for a way to remote-control your Mac, remote desktop software is the way to go.

- It's surprisingly smooth and seamless. I've used third-party solutions like Air Display, but this is in an entirely different league. Air Display always felt like using VNC, with a lot of lag and compression artifacts, but Sidecar feels like you just plugged in an invisible HDMI cable.

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

fieldframe wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I've been using Sidecar for a couple of weeks now while working from home. Two points:

- It's not really a control solution. You can't click on anything unless you have an Apple Pencil. If you're looking for a way to remote-control your Mac, remote desktop software is the way to go.

- It's surprisingly smooth and seamless. I've used third-party solutions like Air Display, but this is in an entirely different league. Air Display always felt like using VNC, with a lot of lag and compression artifacts, but Sidecar feels like you just plugged in an invisible HDMI cable.
Ok thank you for explaining that. I didn't know it was limited to just the pencil.

I think as a second display on the go, it will be a great solution. I think though that will be down the road for me as I don't think I'll be upgrading to Catalina anytime soon. Thanks.

• Information