Try Logic Pro X For 90 Days - Free Trial

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

RRP and Logic - it's a dream team.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

27 Mar 2020

hurricane wrote:
27 Mar 2020
RRP and Logic - it's a dream team.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
Yay! I've been waiting for this today. Publications had announced it this morning, but it hadn't gone live yet then.

Thanks for the heads up :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

27 Mar 2020

I'm having fun using this with the Logic Remote app on iOS. I've always loved the touch control of GarageBand on iOS. Now I can choose to use the fretboard to control guitars and other instrument plugins in Logic :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

This 90 day demo lines up perfectly for when I think the next version of Logic gets released. As soon as it expires, BAM, here's your new version of Logic, ladies and gentlemen - a Live+Logic crossbreed:
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.53.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.53.41 PM.png (653.8 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2020

hurricane wrote:
29 Mar 2020
This 90 day demo lines up perfectly for when I think the next version of Logic gets released. As soon as it expires, BAM, here's your new version of Logic, ladies and gentlemen - a Live+Logic crossbreed:

Yea, Logic adding a feature GarageBand has had for four years?
Selig Audio, LLC

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

selig wrote:
29 Mar 2020
hurricane wrote:
29 Mar 2020

Yea, Logic adding a feature GarageBand has had for four years?
Live Loops, from Garageband iOS - yes. It'll be great to have it in desktop Logic.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released it this week. To get all the 90 dayers hooked.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EdGrip

01 Apr 2020

Speaking of which, Ableton have made the free trial of Suite 90 days rather than 30. If anyone's been meaning to try it.

miscend

01 Apr 2020

When will we get a Reason Suite 90 day trial?

Bloma

08 Apr 2020

I grabbed the trial, and I've never used Logic before. I think I'm trying to use it like Reason. That Sculpture instrument sounds beautiful, but I feel like I'm cheating. It also seems like you can't fully initialize a device, at least without manually doing it and saving as a patch. The Studio Strings sounds amazing too. I want to give alchemy another go, but want to make an init patch first. Maybe I should let go of how I work in Reason these days and just make music in Logic on its own terms.

joeyluck

09 Apr 2020

Is there an option in Logic to name the tracks by the plugin name? I haven't been able to find anything.

It's inconvenient when an instrument doesn't receive a name based on patch, I guess when it's not FXP? Which is many of them. And unlike Reason, instead of defaulting to the plugin name, it just calls it something like "Inst 1".

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Is there an option in Logic to name the tracks by the plugin name? I haven't been able to find anything.

It's inconvenient when an instrument doesn't receive a name based on patch, I guess when it's not FXP? Which is many of them. And unlike Reason, instead of defaulting to the plugin name, it just calls it something like "Inst 1".
Yeah, it's not consistent, and it's usually hit or miss, but curiously, all of U-he's synths update the track name with the patch name, just like the internal Logic synths do. Mega-expensive plugin maker Spectrasonics, on the other hand, do NOT, lol. Makes me think it's not a Logic thing, but rather a developer thing. Urs knows his shit.

One thing you can do to assure the name populates is to select presets or save presets using Logic's internal plugin preset browser:

presetname.png
presetname.png (37.49 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

And I don't know if you're aware, but over on the Logic Pro Help forum, you can download internal Logic presets for your favorite synths. Using Logic's browser is so much more convenient than using a plugin's internal browser. Check out the converted presets for Dexed, for example. ALL of Dexed's presets were converted making it WAAAAAAY easier to navigate.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 8&t=138224

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.43.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.43.42 PM.png (960.55 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

10 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
09 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
09 Apr 2020

Yeah, it's not consistent, and it's usually hit or miss, but curiously, all of U-he's synths update the track name with the patch name, just like the internal Logic synths do. Mega-expensive plugin maker Spectrasonics, on the other hand, do NOT, lol. Makes me think it's not a Logic thing, but rather a developer thing. Urs knows his shit.

One thing you can do to assure the name populates is to select presets or save presets using Logic's internal plugin preset browser:
Is that u-he example just using FXP or something different?

Yeah this is one small area where Reason wins. I mean Logic even has a secondary channel naming option, but still no option to default to the plugin name if it can't grab a patch name. In my search for the solution, I found a few requests from users over the years. Seems so basic to have. It's funny, even when you leave Logic's own instruments on their default patches, it will still say "Inst 1" until you select a different patch lol.

Oh and channel icons. Reason's screenshots work really great. At least Logic has the option to assign icons to channels... But having an icon load with a plugin as easily as Reason is so much better.

I actually had the idea that since I had all these screenshots from Reason already, I would just import them all as icons into Logic! And boy was that a mistake lol. When browsing the icons from inside Logic, they're not labeled, so there I was scrolling endlessly and aimlessly looking for a particular screenshot of a plugin. And you still can't save them with the plugin, only with a channel. So I gave up on that idea.

Some small thing I like about Logic:

- Following the playhead. I like that it has a button so I know when it's engaged. But also, when it's engaged and the song is playing and I scroll inside the sequencer, it turns itself off :) That's smart. I'm always fighting with Reason's 'follow song' so I typically just keep it off and zoom out.

- There is an option in Logic (on by default) to 'open plugin window on insertion.' I have no idea why Reason doesn't have this option or just behave this way. I have never added a plugin and not want access to the GUI. Especially when Reason's VST device doesn't have any "smart" controls immediately available. You have to open it.

- The Inspector. This is along the lines of what I suggested with being able to reorganize Reason's windows. An inspector option in Reason wouldn't have to be a separate thing, if the Mixer could be attached to the side. Then when you have it in inspector mode, the Mixer window stays as wide as one channel and the Master. And when you click on a channel in the Rack or Sequencer, it just shifts to give focus to that channel. But anyways, I like having this in Logic.

- The tools are better integrated with the interface and not a hard to manage floating window.

These are just some of the simple things. The big selling points for me right now is MPE support (although even GarageBand has this), video support, smart tempo, and score edit.

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

Sounds like you're really trying it out - that's great because the more you get used to the ways Logic does things, the more comfort you're going to have, which means you'll keep using it more. Eventually you're not going to mind that Logic doesn't do ABC like Reason does, and you'll start working in Reason wishing IT did ABC like Logic does, and it looks like you're already noticing things. And then when you use the RRP inside Logic, you'll start realizing you'll never have to work in Reason again. Or rather, you won't want to. You've got the sophistication and power of Logic, with what makes Reason Reason - the rack - and it's just a fantastic combination.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

10 Apr 2020

Yeah I think I'll go back and forth. I wonder if I bug Apple enough if they would update the way things are labeled and how icons are managed and assigned. I only have a couple moderately sized projects in Logic right now, and they are kind of a mess and a little confusing to look at—until I go in and manually edit the names of every track and decide if I want to use generic icons or create my own and surf through them every time.

As an example, I'm using the SWAM Tenor Trombone here. Logic labels it as "Inst 1" on the channels and gives it a generic icon. And then the only other place I can view what plugin is being used, is in the tiny input selection in the channel, which is truncated. I'm also using SWAM Tenor Sax, but you wouldn't know which one from this view without clicking the button and opening the plugin.

Of course, I can try and get in the habit of labeling things, and making custom icons, which seems like an unnecessary part in the workflow. And then that doesn't account for when I start changing things out. In Reason I just let it do its thing and I only need to label buses and clips. It's a breeze to navigate Reason without extra work.

So, solely working inside Logic with the RRP isn't for me right now, but I'll definitely be using it for projects where I want to use MPE and anything I can't do in Reason. And I will send Apple suggestions and see what they say :)

jwd606

10 Apr 2020

I don't need to look at an icon. My sequencer side-bar consists of on/off, solo and track name. Don't need anything else.

I like the fact that you can remove lots of things you don't need on Logic. Declutter is good.

Last edited by jwd606 on 10 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2020
As an example, I'm using the SWAM Tenor Trombone here. Logic labels it as "Inst 1" on the channels and gives it a generic icon. And then the only other place I can view what plugin is being used, is in the tiny input selection in the channel, which is truncated. I'm also using SWAM Tenor Sax, but you wouldn't know which one from this view without clicking the button and opening the plugin.
Yeah, the only way to get it to work like how you want is to save everything as a channel strip and load it as a channel strip. It'll take a few seconds for each one, but if it bothers you that much, might as well do it:

channel strip.png
channel strip.png (145.52 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information