Threshold on a compressor that goes in +dbu values

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Mataya

18 Feb 2020

Hi,
I hope someone could explain this a bit more.

I have a dbx 160a hardware compressor and it works fine. I just don't understand why and when would I use a threshold that's in a + value and that's 20dbu in + that this unit has.

I always see threshold values going from 0 to - some db. Is this because it's an analogue hardware and I only see negative values on digital plugin's... or wtf is going on here.

Thanks
this is the unit if you wanna check it out

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/160a#specifications

TheDragonborg

18 Feb 2020

I dunno my Alesis 3630 compressor goes up to +20 dB on the threshold...

Loque

19 Feb 2020

I speculate its the analog headroom above (digital) 0db, which is useful for hard driving the compressor.
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Feb 2020

Unlike digital 0 dB, which usually means 0 dBFS ie relative to Full Scale or digital clipping level, in analog world, 0 dB is calibrated to some Standard Operating Level measured by a VU meter. Analog devices like that compressor have a substantial headroom above that level.

Mataya

19 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
19 Feb 2020
Unlike digital 0 dB, which usually means 0 dBFS ie relative to Full Scale or digital clipping level, in analog world, 0 dB is calibrated to some Standard Operating Level measured by a VU meter. Analog devices like that compressor have a substantial headroom above that level.
Thanks, I think I got it.

I only used this device for recording dialogue into computer. But I guess if I would plug this unit into live system somewhere, I could expect levels that are in analogue domain meaning going over 0db, so I would adjust the threshold for this higher signal levels and probably stayed on a + side.

tx
M

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Feb 2020

Mataya wrote:
19 Feb 2020
I only used this device for recording dialogue into computer. But I guess if I would plug this unit into live system somewhere, I could expect levels that are in analogue domain meaning going over 0db, so I would adjust the threshold for this higher signal levels and probably stayed on a + side.
Yes, that's totally OK, provided all the devices in the FX chain are capable to handle such levels. Reducing the analog level is easy, it's done with passive components.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
19 Feb 2020
Indeed - this device has 24 dB headroom over it's "0 dB" mark.
Digital dB is "dBFS", analog is typically "0dBVU", and the "zero" isn't the same in both systems since analog systems have headroom and digital do not (not counting floating point digital in this case).
Typically, an A/D and D/A has a relationship of -18 dBFS being equal to 0dBVU, but in higher end convertors you can calibrate this to different levels.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information