Am buying new USB audio interface - need help - that thing with headphones

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rising Night Wave

14 Jan 2020

Hi folks.

I am about to buy a new external studio USB sound interface card for my computer.
Thing is I am not skilled with this type of products.

Only three things are important for me:
- 1st is: that I can listen sound/music only on headphones (so that the output for monitor speakers are OFF)
- 2nd is: quality 192/24 sound
- 3rd thing is: that the product is acceptable in appearance

As for now I am interested in these three product lines:
- Focusrite Scarlett line
- M-Audio Air 192|x line
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio line

Focusrite and Native Instruments lines are so gorgeous. M-Audio is acceptable because I already own two M-Audio products (sudio monitors and mic).

The mandatory this is the audio interface must have 192/24 sound and that the audio interface can have sound/music played only on headphones.
The thing is I mostly do my music at night when I have peace. So I will have to have USB audio interface that is capable to have sound only on headphones. Either through some switch/knob or through potentiometer.

Can you help me with that?

PS: Sorry, I forgot to write: my budget for sound interface is max 250.00€. And about mentioned product lines: I do not need all those inputs and outputs - only the basic thing is needed: monitors and headphones.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

Check out the behringer umc404hd

dezma

14 Jan 2020

I had a similar topic running here some weeks ago.

I wouldn't recommend M-audio, my current M-audio C600 has driver issues (bluescreens in W10 from time to time). They only did 3 years of updates for windows from 2011 to 2014. Probably due to business being transferred from Avid to Inmusic, but as a customer I shouldn't have been impacted. No more M-audio for me.

Native instruments seems to have driver issues as well with their native ASIO drivers (this is from info on internet).
If you use a high amp headphone (250 or higher), NI has been reported to be not suitable without preamp for high volume.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... iet-en-us-

Although it looks less sexy, I believe Scarlett is the better choice in the budget class.

dezma

14 Jan 2020

Maybe an important sidenote: for the focusrite, they advice bus powered devices (up until 4i4) headphones only up to 200 ohm. So if this applies to you, you might go for the 8i6 or the clarett series, although you don't need the input/output number

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2020

I've been a fan of the Focusrite USB and Thunderbolt interfaces for a few years now, though I've not directly compared them to the others you listed. I have the USB and Thunderbolt 2 channel interfaces and they do everything I need from a basic 2 channel interface.

For your needs I'd suggest the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the simplest interface with separate headphones control, and the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 if you need MIDI.
Selig Audio, LLC

enossified

14 Jan 2020

Since you already posted a thread about the Scarlett Solo, just look for independent volume controls for the monitor speakers and the headphones. All but the cheapest interfaces have this (and Solo is the cheapest Focusrite unit). If you'd rather not have to touch a second knob, buy an interface with a mute button...but this may cost you a lot of money!

Almoat all mfrs use apps to control their interfaces and some functions can only be done with the app. Your Solo can mute the monitors with the Focusrite Control app just not from the front panel.

dezma

14 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jan 2020
The SSL2/SSL2+ didn't make the list?
Are they already for sale? Thought they just announced those

joeyluck

14 Jan 2020

dezma wrote:
14 Jan 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jan 2020
The SSL2/SSL2+ didn't make the list?
Are they already for sale? Thought they just announced those
Sweetwater supposedly had them both available yesterday. They say they expect more in a few weeks.

kuhliloach

14 Jan 2020

For the price it's really hard not to suggest the 4-channel Behringer UMC404HD. Definitely on my wishlist. If budget wasn't an issue I'd look at the amazing looking Clarett 4Pre USB.

Rising Night Wave

14 Jan 2020

Sorry for late reply.

@aeox: since all this basic audio interfaces are similar with price... I would not take this audio interface you mentioned since I do not like design. I hope you do not mind me saying this. I know it is lame - the audio quality matters after all. But... I prefer Focusrite. Will tell later.

@dezma: thing with M-Audio is... my headphones have to high impedance for 192|4 version (basic version - what I need). I would have to buy 192|8 but it is somehow too expensive for me since Focusrite 2i2 offers all this. I have Shure SRH1840 headphones with impedance 65ohms.
@dezma: Since you are mentioning the internet reposrts: issues with drivers and stability... then I would give a no-go for NI.
@dezma: your second reply about impedance: it would go fine with 2i2

@selig: yes, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 would do fine; I do not need MIDI

@joeyluck: naaah, this interface looks ugly like hell. Sorry for this. And besides that I do not know where to buy it. I prefer amazon (co.uk/de) and Thomann.de. This interface is not for me.

@enossified: I already returned my Scarlett Solo to the store I bought it. I will get my money refunded. And... the thing with software: I could not control anything with software I got. Only kHz resolution and buffer size. Except I could control inputs like mics. But since I do not have such a mic this was irelevant for me. My mic has USB connection. I have M-Audio Uber Mic.

@kuhliloach: naaah, it is not acceptable becouse of the design. I also give some eyes on desing. It matters to me. Sorry. About Clarett 4Pre... it is too expensive.

As for now: I am totaly interested into Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen audio interface. It has all what I need. Headphones would be driven okay. Only about software I am not sure if I would be able to control headphones vs. speakers - to mute speaker's output with this software. ... But I know I can mute speakers through potentiometer. That is fine.
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400

joeyluck

15 Jan 2020

Rising Night Wave wrote:
14 Jan 2020

@joeyluck: naaah, this interface looks ugly like hell. Sorry for this. And besides that I do not know where to buy it. I prefer amazon (co.uk/de) and Thomann.de. This interface is not for me.
Say wha? :shock: Are we talking about the same interface? I think it looks awesome!

SSL2+ banner 980 x 340.png
SSL2+ banner 980 x 340.png (745.77 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

Also the preamps are better/cleaner than the Saffire. And it's SSL gear! What better interface to pair with Reason's mixer modeled after an SSL than an interface by SSL? :D

And it's got Alps knobs, so I'm sure they feel really great. And if you're using it on a desktop, it's more ergonomic...And cleaner with all cables to the back. Not to mention the software you get free with it and the Legacy 4K mode. But I won't try to sell you on it. Just saying...

You might not see it yet from other retailers because it was just announced with a limited initial release.

I do like the red of the Saffire. That would match my desk. But I wouldn't say the SSL2/2+ is ugly...

EdGrip

15 Jan 2020

Pro tip that a pro producer once told me:
Make an otherwise perfectly good interface acceptable in appearance by visually enhancing (or "decorating") it with stickers of your favourite sports players or pop stars - or, glue dry pasta to the interface to add textures and fun shapes (why not make a musical note, or a guitar 🎸) - when it's dry you can paint over the pasta with glitter paint.

demt

15 Jan 2020

sound blaster if youve slightly more dosh very hi fi
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Rising Night Wave

19 Jan 2020

Yo.

I got a new problem: my laptop got broken - lid (front bezel and back) got broken - fell apart becaouse of too many openings and closings. Damn and computer is worth 1.400€. Stupid ASUS. Stupid is who stupid Dasus. Haha. Okey bad joke.

OK. Thing is now I will have to buy these parts. So my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 baby will be bought next month. Damn.

Thing is I am short on budget. Eh...

Rising Night Wave

23 Jan 2020

OK. Things got turned into my favor. I got some extra money. So I just made a purchase at amazon.co.uk. So I bought Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen.
I also bought some basic stand for my headphones. That's it.

I will report when I will get my Scarlett baby. Hehe. I hope everything is gonna be alright.

Cheers.

Rising Night Wave

27 Jan 2020

OK. I got my new Scarlett 2i2. It's OK, all fine.
Only I can not control outpust through software.
Otherwise it's fine. Sound is great.

Ryan0751

27 Jan 2020

I recently purchased the Native Instruments Audio 6 MK2 and am really happy with it. Great value for the price.

However, the game changer for me was paring it with the PreSonus Monitor Station V2 (Mackie's Big Knob is another you can look at).

Adding the monitor controller has been fantastic and I wish I had known about them earlier.

• Information