Korg (re)releases the classic ARP 2600 FS

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2020

Dedicated to EnochLight.. First Officer ... Propellerhead Forum..., and Ensign Faastwalker.


User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 13 Jan 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
13 Jan 2020
........ the plot thickens (possibly);

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020 ... how-rumor/
Holy crap - nice catch! If the "mini" truly is a planned product that functions the exact same, but comes in at a more realistic price point, that might sway me to go shopping.


arp-2600-mini.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 13 Jan 2020

I love the interface. At first I was like of the opinion "dinosaur". But I really do understand the appeal here. YOLO.

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 13 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
Yes! Good memories, Benjified! Big up to the Kings of Kong!

Image

A good Preset App seems in order. Any suggestions?
Image
benjified wrote:
12 Jan 2020
Jiggery Pokery made a nice refill for Thor called Blue Meanie. An early 2600 was a light blue colour called the “Blue Marvin” but mistakenly called “Blue Meanie”.
Congrats, DannyF! I can't believe the most "playable" Synth I've ever seen - ... came out in 1970.

- KEYS - ~ 4-5 Octaves of 'em - on board, MIDI, USB, CV,
- The Level of All-in-One Performance Control
- Ample PITCH CONTROL!!! - All three OSC - PLUS - PLUS FINE TUNE on EACH!!!!!
then.. then... that beautiful Global Pitch Bend Knob on the Keyboard. Im in Detune HEAVEN!
- Stereo Reverb.
- the Aux in for 4 Guitar/Modulation Pedals/Devices...**** ¡¡¡No Way!!!

Not for nothing, but,... I got two!


NOISE!

dannyF wrote:
12 Jan 2020


Same here!

Can't wait. Workflow / interface is killer.
Yes thanks you too. I managed to get the last one this certain shop had incoming.

I'm sure the mini will be just as good though. I felt in this case..... it had to be done. Its more than I've ever paid for anything.

aeox
Posts: 2731
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 13 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Jan 2020
They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!
I knew you'd be all over this :D

Congrats, sounds amazing.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2020

The mini is tempting, but you start to have to 'give up' functionality...
Image

I don't see how the 'Mini' unit can really be that much smaller.
It' looks like just the keyboard got a 2 octave haircut. :thumbs_down: , loses one switch (latch? :? ), and loses one output (Aftertouch? :o )....

QSweetwater...
"SOLD OUT
Due to the overwhelming number of pre-orders for the new limited edition ARP 2600 FS, every single unit that Sweetwater is due to receive has already been sold. "

@Kraft...
"Pre-Order allotment has been sold out.
Please contact us for waiting list opportunities."

@Andertons
"Sold out at Andertons before I even had chance to speak with Mrs IAA :( :( "
aeox wrote:
13 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
11 Jan 2020
They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!
I knew you'd be all over this :D

Congrats, sounds amazing.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 13 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
The mini is tempting, but you start to have to 'give up' functionality...
Image

I don't see how the 'Mini' unit can really be that much smaller.
It' looks like just the keyboard got a 2 octave haircut. :thumbs_down: , loses one switch (latch? :? ), and loses one output (Aftertouch? :o )....
Yeah, but if I'm spending $1000 USD instead of $3900 USD, giving up those things are a pretty easy sell, IMHO. ;)
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2020

I''m with you 100% on that! Sorry, I got lost in translation.
I am closely monitoring - and might change to 1FS and 1MS.

The sameness of the proposed MINI version is ideal for me.
Then I can slap an 88 key in front/near it and keep the Functionality of the original Keyboard without the FS size .

but- :o - $1000... no way!!! where'd you read that?! That would be a KILLER price!

The Board seems 1 to 1 with the FS so I don't think the size is much different... it's just a smaller picture...
- my guess is $2400.
Image
EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
The mini is tempting, but you start to have to 'give up' functionality...
https://i0.wp.com/www.synthtopia.com/wp ... =640&ssl=1

I don't see how the 'Mini' unit can really be that much smaller.
It' looks like just the keyboard got a 2 octave haircut. :thumbs_down: , loses one switch (latch? :? ), and loses one output (Aftertouch? :o )....
Yeah, but if I'm spending $1000 USD instead of $3900 USD, giving up those things are a pretty easy sell, IMHO. ;)

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 822
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 14 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
I''m with you 100% on that! Sorry, I got lost in translation.
I am closely monitoring - and might change to 1FS and 1MS.

The sameness of the proposed MINI version is ideal for me.
Then I can slap an 88 key in front/near it and keep the Functionality of the original Keyboard without the FS size .

but- :o - $1000... no way!!! where'd you read that?! That would be a KILLER price!

The Board seems 1 to 1 with the FS so I don't think the size is much different... it's just a smaller picture...
- my guess is $2400.
Image
EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2020


Yeah, but if I'm spending $1000 USD instead of $3900 USD, giving up those things are a pretty easy sell, IMHO. ;)
I wonder if it's all smd inside...

It seems in the mini rendering it's missing the duo-phonic output from the FS. Not sure, it may just have been re-located on the side.


User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 14 Jan 2020

Might have gone Behringer route. But did not like the square-ish layout of their version.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
but- :o - $1000... no way!!! where'd you read that?! That would be a KILLER price!

The Board seems 1 to 1 with the FS so I don't think the size is much different... it's just a smaller picture...
- my guess is $2400.
Sorry, I was completely pulling an imaginary number out of thin air. :) Just suggesting it should be quite a bit cheaper than the FS. But even $2400 USD is a much easier sell than almost $4K (for me).
dannyF wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Might have gone Behringer route. But did not like the square-ish layout of their version.
Has the Behringer 2600 gone into production yet? It's definitely a contender for me.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2020

I just caught the R2-D2 Part in the video below... I LOVE R2-D2. this is just Great!



Nice Schematic
Image

I see! There's a Behringer Arp Odessey (which I'm glad I didn't look into, and waited) and the Behringer Arp 2600.

..hmmmm....

2 dedicated LFOs with pulse and sine wave outputs
Switched Post Filter Distortion (PFD) / Inverter option on voltage processor
Differential (+/-) input VCA with both linear and exponential control inputs
Additional functions include attenuator, mixer, inverter, slew rate limiter and 4-way multiple for creative patching flexibility

Authentic reproduction of original “Arp* 2600” circuitry with matched transistors and JFETs

Image
dannyF wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Might have gone Behringer route. But did not like the square-ish layout of their version.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
14 Jan 2020
I just caught the R2-D2 Part in the video below... I LOVE R2-D2. this is just Great!

True, what Ben Burtt did was amazing on his 2600, but that video above sounds absolutely NOTHING like R2D2, sorry. ;) All I am hearing is a ring mod effect using voice as the carrier.

R2 is more:

Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 14 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2020
dannyF wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Might have gone Behringer route. But did not like the square-ish layout of their version.
Has the Behringer 2600 gone into production yet? It's definitely a contender for me.
I have no idea. Sorry. I have been following the groups closely. You probably know as much as I do, which is that they have shown a faceplate with holes. Its rack mountable and ( square-ish ) opposed to rectangular and its orange/black.

I think Behringer will do a great job on it with some new twists. I just don't like the orange face versions of the 2600. Its a real turn off to me. So much so that I avoided looking into this synth until recently. Had no idea about the black/blue versions. Its a toss up. If I weren't getting the FS ( I must be nuts )..... I would probably go Korg Mini 2600.... but then at that price why not get all the versions inclduing the Behringer. IF this synth is as special as they say it is..... ( and by all accounts it looks like it is )..... the interface for me is the big reason to get it imo. I already have a semi modular synth sort of similar ( Fusebox ) that does things the ARP 2600 does not ( and vice versa ).... but not too keen on the interface. Sound is killer. I really should try to make more use of it.

The Blue version of the 2600 is actually my fav, ( with replaced black knobs with white ones ).

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2020

Of course! That's like saying the RAW TR-808 sucks! :puf_wink:

I just want the RAW, and the CLEAN. I have what I need for the Drive, and Dirt, and Time, and Pitch, and Phase.
That's why I'm done with FX devices. I'm doing my own with the pieces/parts - now that I understand them.

This Box Stays...
Image

The Best Pizza used to be just ... awesome... Sauce and Dough and the 1970 Arp 2600. :mrgreen:

:evil: i know... i know... you HATE pepperoni! :twisted:
Image
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2020

True, what Ben Burtt did was amazing on his 2600, but that video above sounds absolutely NOTHING like R2D2, sorry. ;) All I am hearing is a ring mod effect using voice as the carrier.

R2 is more:

[[Video]]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BKjnAgNgY[[Video]]

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 14 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Of course! That's like saying the RAW TR-808 sucks! :puf_wink:

I just want the RAW, and the CLEAN. I have what I need for the Drive, and Dirt, and Time, and Pitch, and Phase.
That's why I'm done with FX devices. I'm doing my own with the pieces/parts - now that I understand them.

This Box Stays...
Image

The Best Pizza used to be just ... awesome... Sauce and Dough and the 1970 Arp 2600. :mrgreen:

:evil: i know... i know... you HATE pepperoni! :twisted:
Image
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2020

True, what Ben Burtt did was amazing on his 2600, but that video above sounds absolutely NOTHING like R2D2, sorry. ;) All I am hearing is a ring mod effect using voice as the carrier.

R2 is more:

[[Video]]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BKjnAgNgY[[Video]]
This looks like a plate with a picture of a pizza on it. So it is clearly a fake, or maybe a "re-release"?
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 14 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Of course! That's like saying the RAW TR-808 sucks! :puf_wink:
Hahah! Yeah, effects and processing certainly help, for sure (*looks at his Roland TR-8). :D

But what I mean is, the Sweetwater video demonstrating R2D2 sounds was just plainly the wrong approach - effects and processing aside. But I know what you mean - I'm sure with the right approach, a user should be able to coax authentic R2D2 sounds out of their 2600. It's one of the reasons I want one, too. ;)
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2020

No news from Behringer since Summer '19 Officially, from what I can tell.

But, the picture above, Halloween Arp Version... has the Faders and Inputs onBoard..
seems tone moving right along...
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Has the Behringer 2600 gone into production yet? It's definitely a contender for me.
I like R2-D2, but I'mm interested in making my own things...
that, and I've been done with random noise generation since
10 for x = 1 to ad nauseam
20 sound(Random(1)*20000)+1,1)
30 Next x

"Yes.. I can hear you..." ... simple, but, Classic.

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jan 2020
R2 is more:

[]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BKjnAgNgY[]

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 14 Jan 2020

R2 is cool but overdone. I'm more interested in reproducing the 'interrogation droid' from EP 4 and the probe droid from EP 5.

Interrogation Droid


Probe Droid


Pretty sure a lot of other sounds were done for SW using the arp 2600.

Also the 'radio' voices from EP 4 "Red 5 standing by...". I love that radio like distortion on the pilots voices at the end of that film. I think that was done using the Ring Mod.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2020

It just Sounds the Business...
"...with Key unobtrusive additions..."

Sequencer
ARP
USB/MIDI
MIDI
XLR Balanced OUTPUTS
AfterTouch
Modern Reliability
Tuning Stability

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 20 Apr 2020

Shipping!

Good news, the Arp 2600 is about to ship. Korg has notified us that they are able to shop ship the unit directly to you. Because of the units size and weight (almost 120lbs) It would be shipped via ...

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Apr 2020

O1B wrote:
20 Apr 2020
Shipping!

Good news, the Arp 2600 is about to ship. Korg has notified us that they are able to shop ship the unit directly to you. Because of the units size and weight (almost 120lbs) It would be shipped via ...
Via... pony express? :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 23 Apr 2020

Nope! 🚂 The - Orient Express..! 🚂... steam and all...

Kovid in Kansas has shut down shipping of the Keystep PRO - for one. They're all stuck there at the moment.

Overseas and Private deliveries are unencumbered.

Pre-Covid Video:

EnochLight wrote:
20 Apr 2020
O1B wrote:
20 Apr 2020
Shipping!

Good news, the Arp 2600 is about to ship. Korg has notified us that they are able to shop ship the unit directly to you. Because of the units size and weight (almost 120lbs) It would be shipped via ...
Via... pony express? :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 23 Apr 2020

O1B wrote:
23 Apr 2020
Nope! 🚂 The - Orient Express..! 🚂... steam and all...

Kovid in Kansas has shut down shipping of the Keystep PRO - for one. They're all stuck there at the moment.

Overseas and Private deliveries are unencumbered.

Pre-Covid Video:

EnochLight wrote:
20 Apr 2020


Via... pony express? :puf_bigsmile:
Oh man - that just sounds (and looks!) incredible! Very envious. Enjoy!
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

WOO
Posts: 46
Joined: 07 Aug 2019

Post 23 Apr 2020

I remember walking into my local music store during the dx9 days and seeing a fully functioning and well maintained arp 2600 for 250.00. If i'd of had the money at the time i would of bought it. Oh what ifs. What is the price of this one?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 7 guests