Korg (re)releases the classic ARP 2600 FS

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 10 Jan 2020

Korg is doing a limited run of the classic ARP 2600 FS, except now it has USB and proper MIDI ports, as well as a few other modern touches. Still hard to fathom a hardware synth in this day and age without onboard effects that will MSRP at $3900:



Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 10 Jan 2020

There was a time, when Korg made innovations...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 10 Jan 2020

WOW! Nice!

Sweetwater... Daniel Fisher

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 10 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020
There was a time, when Korg made innovations...
IMHO Korg has been innovating the shit out of things the past few years between their Volca line, the Minlogue XD, and now the new Wavestate...
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 10 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020
There was a time, when Korg made innovations...
IMHO Korg has been innovating the shit out of things the past few years between their Volca line, the Minlogue XD, and now the new Wavestate...
Erm...yea...thanks for the jokes, i am happy now :lol:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 10 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Erm...yea...thanks for the jokes, i am happy now :lol:
If I had a Minilogue XD, all the Volcas, and the new Wavestate - I'd be happy too! :D :lol: I ended up picking up a bunch of Roland Aria gear last year. Maybe this year will be the year I start collecting Korg stuff.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

Yonatan
Posts: 1209
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2020

Why do these brands act like it is still 1999.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 11 Jan 2020

Yonatan wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Why do these brands act like it is still 1999.
Maybe same managment or designers.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1555
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 11 Jan 2020

Yonatan wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Why do these brands act like it is still 1999.
Because the youngsters from 1999 are now established and have good economy and buy the "old" hw they couldn't get their hands on back then. It is the Porsche syndrome, every 20-something wants one, but can only afford it when they are 50+.

But also, nobody has been able to create a plugin that captures a thought and turns it into midi, so we continue to see more saw waves in new clothes...
Also, you cannot crack hw...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 11 Jan 2020

Wasn’t Behringer supposed to release their own clone of the ARP 2600? Wonder whatever happened with that. Would likely be < 1/3 the cost or less and semi-decent quality.
Yonatan wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Why do these brands act like it is still 1999.
The ARP 2600 was releases in 1971, or 70.. I think. Not sure.

Assorted musings: I never wanted a Porsche as a kid in the 80’s. I wanted a 1961 Ford Thunderbird and a 60’s era VW Karmann Ghia. :mrgreen:
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2020

They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 11 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Jan 2020
They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!
You (pre)ordered the 2600 FS?
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

Yessir! Perfect Circuit Laughed at me when I called. So did a few others. :o

I swore I had a week or two to decide. But Pre-Order [not just "Wait List :? "] is pretty much closed everywhere.
All Pre-Orders are SOLD on Reverb.com

I found a pre-order spot, ( I gotta keep it secret for now. I want a 2nd.) They charged me and gave me Confirmation.
I'm very Happy. Sold a few Monosynths for the $,$$$ at the Right Time!

It's the Flip-the-OnSwitch-and-PLAY Monosynth to Beat them all ... FADERS!.... from 1970, no less... Niceness.

I see the USED price is $10-15,000. I think i'm making a nice investment. :puf_smile:
EnochLight wrote:
11 Jan 2020

You (pre)ordered the 2600 FS?

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

Nice walk-through, imo...


Yonatan
Posts: 1209
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

I know this synth is not from 1999, just pointed out the general tendency to go the hardware road, but 1999 was a bad example as I suppose that is when the software plugs started to become hype?

Nevermind, this Arp 2500 must fill up quite some space. Bet youtube will be flooded with showoff videos. Maybe the youtube age has made hardware a lot more aftersought as it is always more appealing to film and look at than a plugin.

I also wonder if Behringer still will come out with an Arp 2500 or is there any patent protection fees that are involved so that only one get the allowance or is old devices an open source land after certain years?

Roland got Reason to end ReBirth as an app.
What are the rules of copy protection in older devices? Or is it wild wild west?

What synth in Reason world sounds or behave most alike to this huge gadget?

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

What’s your guess?

I think Thor would make a nice 3osc Arp...2600 :mrgreen:

I don’t know which Control Surface would be best?
Behringer X-Touch, maybe?
Yonatan wrote:
12 Jan 2020
What synth in Reason world sounds or behave most alike to this huge gadget?

I know this synth is not from 1999, ...

Nevermind, this Arp 2500 ... is always more appealing to film and look at than a plugin.

I also wonder if Behringer...
...

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 600
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 12 Jan 2020

In 1999 men would buy a Porche to indulge their midlife crisis. In 2020 they have the Korg arp 2600.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 Jan 2020

I bought a Mazda Miata for my midlife crisis, but my midlife crisis came when I was 29. :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6275
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
12 Jan 2020
Yessir! Perfect Circuit Laughed at me when I called. So did a few others. :o

I swore I had a week or two to decide. But Pre-Order [not just "Wait List :? "] is pretty much closed everywhere.
All Pre-Orders are SOLD on Reverb.com

I found a pre-order spot, ( I gotta keep it secret for now. I want a 2nd.) They charged me and gave me Confirmation.
I'm very Happy. Sold a few Monosynths for the $,$$$ at the Right Time!

It's the Flip-the-OnSwitch-and-PLAY Monosynth to Beat them all ... FADERS!.... from 1970, no less... Niceness.

I see the USED price is $10-15,000. I think i'm making a nice investment. :puf_smile:
EnochLight wrote:
11 Jan 2020

You (pre)ordered the 2600 FS?
Very envious! I swear, if I didn’t know my wife would divorce me, I’d pre-order one as well. :lol: :shock: :o :( I’ve got my Roland stuff covered, and plan to add Korg this year. Before these announcements, I was considering the Minilogue XD and some Volcas, but I’ve always wanted a 2600.

Dat price though... UGH. :|
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

benjified
Posts: 35
Joined: 15 Sep 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

Jiggery Pokery made a nice refill for Thor called Blue Meanie. An early 2600 was a light blue colour called the “Blue Marvin” but mistakenly called “Blue Meanie”.
O1B wrote:
12 Jan 2020
What’s your guess?

I think Thor would make a nice 3osc Arp...2600 :mrgreen:

I don’t know which Control Surface would be best?
Behringer X-Touch, maybe?
Yonatan wrote:
12 Jan 2020
What synth in Reason world sounds or behave most alike to this huge gadget?

I know this synth is not from 1999, ...

Nevermind, this Arp 2500 ... is always more appealing to film and look at than a plugin.

I also wonder if Behringer...
...

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1694
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jan 2020

WOW! Amazing. Beyond my means and space come to mention it. In my dreams I've already pre-ordered one, and it's destined to have it's own room in my home, which will be forever hence known as 'The ARP Room' :D I'm glad Korg are doing this properly i.e. full size, no compromise. They could have made a full production, scaled down ARP 2600 that was more affordable maybe. But it just wouldn't be the same. I'm glad things like this, the Moog One & the Moog modular systems exist, even though I'll probably never justify the cost to own one.

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 216
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 12 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Jan 2020
They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!
Same here!

Can't wait. Workflow / interface is killer.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1555
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 12 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
12 Jan 2020
Yessir! Perfect Circuit Laughed at me when I called. So did a few others. :o

I swore I had a week or two to decide. But Pre-Order [not just "Wait List :? "] is pretty much closed everywhere.
All Pre-Orders are SOLD on Reverb.com

I found a pre-order spot, ( I gotta keep it secret for now. I want a 2nd.) They charged me and gave me Confirmation.
I'm very Happy. Sold a few Monosynths for the $,$$$ at the Right Time!

It's the Flip-the-OnSwitch-and-PLAY Monosynth to Beat them all ... FADERS!.... from 1970, no less... Niceness.

I see the USED price is $10-15,000. I think i'm making a nice investment. :puf_smile:

Very envious! I swear, if I didn’t know my wife would divorce me, I’d pre-order one as well. :lol: :shock: :o :( I’ve got my Roland stuff covered, and plan to add Korg this year. Before these announcements, I was considering the Minilogue XD and some Volcas, but I’ve always wanted a 2600.

Dat price though... UGH. :|
No marriage counseling here, but, set up a company then take it as a tax deductible expense. If any question, just say "it was tax a deduction", end of discussion :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1694
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2020

........ the plot thickens (possibly);

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020 ... how-rumor/

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1872
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2020

Yes! Good memories, Benjified! Big up to the Kings of Kong!

Image

A good Preset App seems in order. Any suggestions?
Image
benjified wrote:
12 Jan 2020
Jiggery Pokery made a nice refill for Thor called Blue Meanie. An early 2600 was a light blue colour called the “Blue Marvin” but mistakenly called “Blue Meanie”.
Congrats, DannyF! I can't believe the most "playable" Synth I've ever seen - ... came out in 1970.

- KEYS - ~ 4-5 Octaves of 'em - on board, MIDI, USB, CV,
- The Level of All-in-One Performance Control
- Ample PITCH CONTROL!!! - All three OSC - PLUS - PLUS FINE TUNE on EACH!!!!!
then.. then... that beautiful Global Pitch Bend Knob on the Keyboard. Im in Detune HEAVEN!
- Stereo Reverb.
- the Aux in for 4 Guitar/Modulation Pedals/Devices...**** ¡¡¡No Way!!!

Not for nothing, but,... I got two!


NOISE!

dannyF wrote:
12 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
11 Jan 2020
They are selling like Hot Cakes!

Sounds and Workflows great!

Ordered!
Same here!

Can't wait. Workflow / interface is killer.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests