Traktor Pro and Reason...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Sorcerer

03 Jan 2020

Hi,

Using Traktor Pro 3 inside of Reason 10 to do some scratching on some beats: can it be done?

Can't find any info/tutorial on the topic.

Based on your experience, what is the best workflow/method to reach this goal (adding scratches/cuts to a beat): export finished Reason tracks then scratch on them in Traktor? It seems very laborious, are there any more efficient ways?

Thank you!

EdGrip

03 Jan 2020

You can't use Traktor as a VST as far as I know.

Here's one thing you can try:
What you want to do is drag a playhead (needle) backwards and forwards across a piece of audio, and hear the output. That means you need some audio in a buffer, and a means of moving the playhead within that buffer.

A delay effect is a buffer, and you can move its playhead about by twisting the "delay time" knob (make sure it's set to milliseconds, not beat sync). It's not perfect - the buffer is always changing so you can't just scratch over one fragment of audio forever; some delay effects don't repitch properly when you move the time knob, but most do. (I think The Echo does). You can assign the delay time knob to your controller's pitch wheel to get hands-on.

Here's a good article about using delay like this - https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-t ... sing-delay

There's a VST effect called Timeshaper 2 that lets you very precisely design this use of delay using a visual envelope - it works very well for scratches, as well as lots of other glitchy weirdness.

If you want to include cuts, just assign the mod wheel to an output knob or the channel fader.

Set the channel as "Rec source" and feed it into another audio channel to record your scratchings as audio for later resampling.

I still think there's loads of appetite for a simple VST scratching box - just a massive buffer/sampler with a playhead that you can control with a CDJ.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Jan 2020

Just record the output from traktor doing the scratches and just import the audio file into Reason?

• Information