Smallest mixer with 2 channels + mic

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Bjørn Felle

17 Dec 2019

I'm building a live rig, and want to mix my iPad and Microbrute and also a mic input from my Boss VE-500. I'm trying to build all of this into a single flight case, so I am looking for a very small mixer which will provide two line inputs (preferably one stereo for the iPad), and an XLR mic input. Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

xboix

17 Dec 2019

Behringer 302

Bjørn Felle

17 Dec 2019

Thanks dude, I did see this one but was confused by it. It says it is five input and I get that some of those are the individual stereo channels, but I don't understand how I get a third channel. Is it the 2-track input? If so, how do I level that? Or is it just mixed into channel 2?

selig
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

The 302 doesn't have any 1/4" inputs, so maybe consider others.

You say you need two channels and a mic - that's three channels, which means the iPad is MONO?
For stereo from the iPad plus the Microbrute you will need 4 channels minimum.
The Behringer 502 will give you this. It has the mic input plus two stereo inputs - for the Microbrute just use the left channel and leave the right channel unplugged in the mixer and you'll be good.There is also a USB version if you need that, handy for bi-directional audio from a laptop if used.

UPDATE - I re-read your post and you're wanting to use the Boss VE-500, which has TWO XLR outputs, not ONE, and it's line level (not mic level). So the 502 still works, you just use the first input for the Microbrute, and the stereo inputs for the iPad and Boss. Both of these stereo inputs will need adaptors, from the iPad stereo 1/8" to 2 1/4" (common cable), and two Female XLR to 1/4" cables from the Boss.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

17 Dec 2019

iRig Mix

Two INs - 1/8" Stereo
One IN - 1/4" mic or axe

iPad ready in very nice ways...
+ CUE and proper EQ
I use it everyday.

Ample Gain... ***Proper Gain Staging nec.
Ive never had any of the 3 gain knobs on top past 10-11 o'clock.

Bjørn Felle wrote:
17 Dec 2019
I'm building a live rig, and want to mix my iPad and Microbrute and also a mic input from my Boss VE-500. I'm trying to build all of this into a single flight case, so I am looking for a very small mixer which will provide two line inputs (preferably one stereo for the iPad), and an XLR mic input. Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Bjørn Felle

20 Dec 2019

Thank you guys. I went with the behringer before seeing these further responses, and it actually works very well and it is TINY. To answer my own and other points:

- The 2-track input is mixed in to the master output, but has no level/eq control. But that's ok, I'll use it for the microbrute as it has a big easily accessible volume knob so I can control its level that way

- @selig sorry I wasn't specific enough, I need a single XLR for the VE-500, a mono input for the brute, and a stereo input for the iPad. The 302 provides all that. You're right about the VE-500 having stereo output, but I don't use it in stereo, I have set it up to output in mono as stereo effects don't generally come across well in small gigs with poor stereo speaker arrangement. The iPad is stereo but with a very small stereo spread, though for some tracks I actually have it set to mono output. I actually didn't realise the VE-500 was line level but this makes sense of course considering the effects. So I probably could have used a mixer with no XLR input and an XLR to jack cable, but it's not a problem, this way I have the option of bypassing the Boss if I need to.

- O1B thanks for the suggestion, the behringer clinched it on size and price, but that iRig does look really nice

• Information