Mixcraft: Between 10k and 20k

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
exxx

12 Dec 2019

Everybody says I'm a weird story, but this time I brought a screenshot.

nnxt piano b e5? or e6 note screenshot

I'm sorry I don't have knowledge of the notes, but the 5 or 6 octaves are clear and they both pressed the same key.

Many criticized me

I have been told that the high frequency sound of reason is messy and that it should be improved.

I don't know why I didn't think to take a screenshot, but I suddenly came up with it.

Look at the difference between 10k and 20k

1. mixcraft
mixcraft e.png
mixcraft e.png (114.04 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
2. reason
reason e.png
reason e.png (132.29 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

Loque

12 Dec 2019

Now everything is clear. The original piano's keys were connected to the same string.
Reason12, Win10

bitley

12 Dec 2019

What if you import a released track that we all know then?

Kalm

12 Dec 2019

now that's interesting.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

guitfnky

12 Dec 2019

how is it interesting? based on two screenshots and almost no information on how it was “tested”, there’s nothing useful you can take from this.

the “test” was done with only two DAWs, so even if the “test” was done properly, we can’t know if Reason is causing a difference, or Mixcraft is. but I doubt very much that the “test” was done correctly.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

diminished
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

That looks more like a shitty anti-aliasing filter implementation in Mixcraft.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Kalm

12 Dec 2019

Literally what you and the following posters said is why its interesting. Maybe it is anti-aliasing, maybe its something else. From what we see its one key stroke from the same instrument, captured by the same plugin. Unless you would like the poster to mention the entire signal flow this is enough to go test NNXT in Reason and other DAWs provided using the Reason Rack, NNXT, and similar MIDI note to see IF there is something going on here.

Anything worth researching and investigating is interesting.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

Could be a bug in Mixcraft!

guitfnky

12 Dec 2019

Kalm wrote:
12 Dec 2019
Literally what you and the following posters said is why its interesting. Maybe it is anti-aliasing, maybe its something else. From what we see its one key stroke from the same instrument, captured by the same plugin. Unless you would like the poster to mention the entire signal flow this is enough to go test NNXT in Reason and other DAWs provided using the Reason Rack, NNXT, and similar MIDI note to see IF there is something going on here.

that’s the thing...the “Reason sound™“ thing has been researched/investigated, and DEBUNKED time, and time, and time, and time, and time, and time again. this is a BS thread based on nothing worth any of our time (yet here I am 😆).

and yes, if someone is going to make another “oMfG rEaSoN hAs A SoUnD” argument, they damn well better bring the receipts and provide the steps they took to recreate their testing, or we should rightly dismiss what they’re saying out of hand.

at this point it’s like suggesting more testing is needed to prove the earth isn’t flat, because someone posts a picture of the horizon and it looks like a straight line to the naked eye. you wouldn’t say “well that’s interesting—perhaps we should investigate further”. at least I hope not.

Kalm

12 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Dec 2019
Kalm wrote:
12 Dec 2019

that’s the thing...the “Reason sound™“ thing has been researched/investigated, and DEBUNKED time, and time, and time, and time, and time, and time again. this is a BS thread based on nothing worth any of our time (yet here I am 😆).

and yes, if someone is going to make another “oMfG rEaSoN hAs A SoUnD” argument, they damn well better bring the receipts and provide the steps they took to recreate their testing, or we should rightly dismiss what they’re saying out of hand.

at this point it’s like suggesting more testing is needed to prove the earth isn’t flat, because someone posts a picture of the horizon and it looks like a straight line to the naked eye. you wouldn’t say “well that’s interesting—perhaps we should investigate further”. at least I hope not.
But the post only hinted at the fact it could be Reason based on his experience using Mixcraft. It could be the other way around. It could be a slight bug in Reason. You're jumping ahead of the situation believing that this is another Reason sound scenario when only the smallest impactful range of frequencies are causing concern.

Why not just give him something to test against or point him to a thread discussing this. Trust me, I still have people thinking "Pro Tools has a better sound engine" out there. . . as if most mastering engineers masters on Pro Tools or something.

joeyluck

12 Dec 2019

FWIW in case you didn't notice, I had moved this to Hardware and Other Software this morning and updated the title to focus on Mixcraft.

Because the question is what is going on inside Mixcraft to make the result different than NNXT's native host?

guitfnky

12 Dec 2019

Kalm wrote:
12 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
12 Dec 2019

But the post only hinted at the fact it could be Reason based on his experience using Mixcraft. It could be the other way around. It could be a slight bug in Reason. You're jumping ahead of the situation believing that this is another Reason sound scenario when only the smallest impactful range of frequencies are causing concern.

Why not just give him something to test against or point him to a thread discussing this. Trust me, I still have people thinking "Pro Tools has a better sound engine" out there. . . as if most mastering engineers masters on Pro Tools or something.
that’s all fair. I see this sentence from the OP, though, and the implication is about the “Reason sound”, not that there could be something else going on:
I have been told that the high frequency sound of reason is messy and that it should be improved.

Kalm

12 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Dec 2019
Kalm wrote:
12 Dec 2019

that’s all fair. I see this sentence from the OP, though, and the implication is about the “Reason sound”, not that there could be something else going on:
Right, which is probably why he pre-faced it with he's been told. I just know I still have to tell people there's no difference to those who believe there is so at this point I just go into 'teacher mode'

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

I have always noted that Reason devices through another DAW sound different in some way. The images provided don't really tell us if the difference is good, bad, or merely creative difference in this situation.

While I know that a straight Wav Stem to Wav Render between Reason and almost any decent DAW (Harrison Mixbus doesn't count) will deliver a nullable result, playing the instruments is not the same for some reason.

I'm not calling better or worse as "different" often sounds better. I'll do something in another DAW and think, "oh if only Reason sounded like this" then check the mix later and it is poor. Redo it in Reason and nice & clear again. Pretty unscientific as such. I think that every DAW Dev makes their own decisions (conscious or not) about how they handle all their DSP just as a Plugin Dev does. I have not used Mixcraft so no opinions there but MuLab, Reaper & Fruity definitely don't sound like Reason.

My opinion on Reason is that they seem to be more "honest" about their sound so less flattery built into the DSP, esp with mixing and high frequencies where I think other DAWs are more flattering to Soloed sounds. That being the case I think the "Reason Sound" is actually far less of a sound than most other DAWs

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information