Setup connection UA LA 610 MKII & Neve 1073 DPA Preamp

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Molotovbeatz

28 Oct 2019

Hi guys,

I was wondering, can someone tell me how to connected UA LA 610 MKII & Neve 1073 DPA Preamp together like Tinashe did in this video?

Was the microphone in this video connected to the UA LA 610 MKII first and then to the Neve or the way around? I am trying to figure out the setup but I am a little bit confused (both hardware have XLR output and input, I can't figure out where the output and input go first).

Anyone can advise or give an example? Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

I've not watched the video (don't they say how they're connected in the video?), but the desirable advantage of the Neve IMO is the mic pre, so I'd run into the mic pre first, then into the LA610 line input to access the EQ and compressor. There really is only one other option, which is to run into the LA610 first, then into the line input of the Neve which would bypass the mic pre, which wouldn't really give you much reason to use the Neve at that point IMO. :)

Personally, I'm a "less is more" guy and would choose one or the other - probably choosing the LA610 since it's what I own personally (but have also recorded tons of vocals via Neve preamps/EQ and LA2a over the years).
Selig Audio, LLC

Molotovbeatz

29 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
29 Oct 2019
I've not watched the video (don't they say how they're connected in the video?), but the desirable advantage of the Neve IMO is the mic pre, so I'd run into the mic pre first, then into the LA610 line input to access the EQ and compressor. There really is only one other option, which is to run into the LA610 first, then into the line input of the Neve which would bypass the mic pre, which wouldn't really give you much reason to use the Neve at that point IMO. :)

Personally, I'm a "less is more" guy and would choose one or the other - probably choosing the LA610 since it's what I own personally (but have also recorded tons of vocals via Neve preamps/EQ and LA2a over the years).
Hi Selig,

No, in the video she didn't say how she connected her hardware, the community just noticed what she had and they started to discuss within the comments.

The fact that I have a focusrite 6i6 as an audio interface, I made a research on YT and found this video:

I ignored the Neve and since I would like mostly to purchase the UA LA 610 Pre-amp, I wanted to know how I can connect the UA LA pre-amp with focusrite.

From the discussion on the video, I found out that the LA610 pre-amp has to be connected from XLR output to 1/4" balanced jack in the Focusrite interface. Is that true? I mean could you advise me what is the best way to connect L610 with Focusrite? The guys in the video connected the pre-amp with XLR input on the Focusrite and everyone in the comment was like, he should not do that.

The goal is to connect the Microphone to L610, then LA to Focusrite and then the interface to the PC. Much appreciate.

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2019

My main vocal chain is an LA-610 into a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre, so almost identical to the video example.
To get into the Focusrite, I use a cable that has female XLR on one end (connected to the output of the LA-610), and a TRS 1/4" male plug on the other end (connected to the input of the Clarett 2Pre).
FWIW, this has become my favorite vocal chain, with the only possible rival being a Neve 1073 into a LA-2a.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Molotovbeatz

01 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
30 Oct 2019
My main vocal chain is an LA-610 into a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre, so almost identical to the video example.
To get into the Focusrite, I use a cable that has female XLR on one end (connected to the output of the LA-610), and a TRS 1/4" male plug on the other end (connected to the input of the Clarett 2Pre).
FWIW, this has become my favorite vocal chain, with the only possible rival being a Neve 1073 into a LA-2a.
:)
Hi Selig, That's really cool.

Please tell me, do you plug the TRS 1/4 " male to the front of the Focusrite where there is the XLR entrance or in the back somewhere?

Also can you please share with me what are your knob settings on the LA-610? (a picture maybe if possible) I just want to have a rough idea what to setup.

Much appreciate.

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
01 Nov 2019

Hi Selig, That's really cool.

Please tell me, do you plug the TRS 1/4 " male to the front of the Focusrite where there is the XLR entrance or in the back somewhere?

Also can you please share with me what are your knob settings on the LA-610? (a picture maybe if possible) I just want to have a rough idea what to setup.

Much appreciate.
Yes, I use the front inputs because I have multiple possible sources: guitar/bass, UA610/UA6176, Zoom L20 keyboard mixer.

As for the 610, these are my starting points, left to right:
Gain 0
Level 7
Peak Reduction 4
Gain 7

If levels are really low or really high coming into the box, I adjust the input Gain switch up/down accordingly. I fine tune levels with the big knobs, remembering that adjusting gain before the compressor will affect the amount of compression in most cases. For example, if your overall level out of the box is too hot, turn down the final Gain knob in the compressor section rather than adjusting pre-compression gain/level.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information