Reducing latency between MIO midi input and reason?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
superjonny

23 Oct 2019

Hi.
I have a Yamaha Electronic Piano P-60. It's over 10 years old I think, connected to an iconnectivity mio usb midi cable.
It works with reason, but it has a slight delay so it's like not instanteous.

Will it always be like this?
I synced the midi in advanced options in reason but I'm not really sure what I'm doing there and I set the latency to 0 for input but it's still a delay.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

What buffer size are you running? you can try reducing that.

raymondh

24 Oct 2019

superjonny@gmail.com wrote:
23 Oct 2019
Hi.
I have a Yamaha Electronic Piano P-60. It's over 10 years old I think, connected to an iconnectivity mio usb midi cable.
It works with reason, but it has a slight delay so it's like not instanteous.

Will it always be like this?
I synced the midi in advanced options in reason but I'm not really sure what I'm doing there and I set the latency to 0 for input but it's still a delay.
If you are researching the problem, it won't be a MIDI delay, it will be an audio delay.
You'll want to check out your audio card/interface setup, ensure you're using an ASIO driver, look at buffer settings as PoohBear says (He has some great Youtube videos too you might want to check out), and of course ensure you're using the latest driver software.

superjonny

26 Oct 2019

ah thanks for the replies

i actually dont' know what buffer means so i'll look in to that.

this is how it is working however,

i use reason 8 and the balance audio interface that came with it.
thats hooked up to a microphone and i just mostly just use it for that.
then i have that mio thats connected to keyboard connected directly to the computer usb and then in reason i use that as a midikeyboard

when i plug in my headphones in to my computer sound there seems to be a delay between keyboard sound and what i'm getting through reason

anyways it's not really a big deal,
i'm going to look in to buffers and learn more and might check out the youtube videos after that.

thanks for the replies!
best regards

jam-s

26 Oct 2019

Make sure you use balance with the ASIO driver and not the directx or windows one if you're on windows. The ASIO driver will give much lower latency.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Under preferences you can change your buffer size.

If you are running a ASIO driver (which you should be with Balance) you click on the Control Panel button to change it.

If it is too low you may get clicks and pops, it's a case of record everything with the lowest buffers and then increase them for mixing and mastering if that is the case.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.9 KiB) Viewed 903 times

I have found with DX drivers the buffer size and latency values are not true (I have several systems which I have seen this on).
You use the little slider on the Buffer Size to change it.
These settings below give me the best latency (not the values showing), as in if I take my buffer size down by 200 samples I get terrible clicking and popping, if I continue to lower them my latency on the screen stays the same however in reality it is going up (way up, couple hundred ms), this is wrong as really it should be the other way around, in these cases you just go by playing your midi device and ear when setting them.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 903 times

superjonny

17 Nov 2019

thank you guys for the replies, i messed around with buffer size and it works a lot better.
thanks again!

• Information