New Roland Aria Workspace

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

14 Sep 2019

First things first: I love me some computer-based DAW fun, and Reason will always be the center of my production for the foreseeable future, but over the past 6 months I've acquired and built a standing work space on one wall of my studio to get me away from the computer. I decided to build a Roland-based workstation, with most of the components being first gen-Aria stuff that I've been able to find second hand for 40%-50% less than their current retail price. With the exception of the System 8, everything else was bought used.

Roland System 8
Roland System 1
Roland TB-3
Roland TR-8

Roland MX-1 (performance mixer to tie everything together).

I also bought an Akai MPC Live this past spring as well, but instead of tying in immediately and using it as a full-on sequencer, I decided to rely on the built-in Roland pattern sequencers that come with all of the devices (with the exception of the System 1), to see if I can just use it as a space to tool around in and generate ideas. The MX-1 can be connected to my PC when needed and serves as an audio interface that will bring all of those instruments into Reason, so that's pretty cool. Anyway, just had to share... because... BLINKY LED LIGHTS!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mon

14 Sep 2019

Nice! You will have great fun there for sure :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

boingy

14 Sep 2019

I've no idea what all that sh*t does but I like it. :thumbs_up:

mon

14 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
14 Sep 2019
I've no idea what all that sh*t does but I like it. :thumbs_up:
3 synths, a drum machine and a mixer with FX. Great stuff :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Jagwah

14 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2019
...first gen-Aria stuff that I've been able to find second hand for 40%-50% less than their current retail price.
Nice work getting them so cheap, looks like a big wall of fun. :mrgreen:

I've always had my eye on the TB-3 because I really love using my ABL2 (never upgraded due to no crossgrade option), so I'm curious about your thoughts on it - especially compared to using a software clone? Thanks.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

14 Sep 2019

Needs an MC-707!!!

O1B

14 Sep 2019

Congrats, EL. Nice Set-up, too! What's your Stand, if you don't mind?
And, I too LOVE the TB-3. Never to be Sold.

TB-3
TR-8S
MX-1
I Sold the TR-8, System-1.

Torcido ( I have 2. Monster Distortion unit. Reshapes any Percussion (Snare/** Cwispy Hats!!) Beautifully.
Bitrazer (Clean, - 'Clinical' Bit and Sample Reduction. Works well on Super Clean Drums
I Sold Scooper and Demora.
(Scooper might be a buy back. ... for Re-Sampling, it's pretty efficient and Sounds Roland. I just wanted to try others)

JP-08
JX-03
A-1
JU-06a (very interested)
I Sold the JU-06, TR-08, TB-03, and TR-09 (Just too small for Drums)

Bought, Sold and Rebought the MPC Live. The Driver. 960 ppqn. nuff said.

The Biggest Roland CON is PERFECT QUANTIZTION. Arrrrrrr!

Not anymore....
EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2019
First things first: I love me some computer-based DAW fun, and Reason will always be the center of my production for the foreseeable future, but over the past 6 months I've acquired and built a standing work space on one wall of my studio to get me away from the computer. I decided to build a Roland-based workstation, with most of the components being first gen-Aria stuff that I've been able to find second hand for 40%-50% less than their current retail price. With the exception of the System 8, everything else was bought used.

Roland System 8
Roland System 1
Roland TB-3
Roland TR-8

I also bought an Akai MPC Live this past spring as well, but instead of tying in immediately and using it as a full-on sequencer, I decided to rely on the built-in Roland pattern sequencers that come with all of the devices (with the exception of the System 1), to see if I can just use it as a space to tool around in and generate ideas. The MX-1 can be connected to my PC when needed and serves as an audio interface that will bring all of those instruments into Reason, so that's pretty cool. Anyway, just had to share... because... BLINKY LED LIGHTS!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Pinkbox

14 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
14 Sep 2019

Use your TR with a Digitakt ;)

What do you guys think of the TB-3? And the TB-03?
And O1B, since you've had both of them... what are you thoughts?
ABL3 is the very last virtual instrument I'm using now and I'd like to have eveything physical.

O1B

14 Sep 2019

Greetings!
First - I Love Calvin and Hobbs.

- " TR with a Digitakt"
I tried. The Digitakt is not 'playable.' Chicklets. I use the DB IMPACT. and NOW, 707!
and, to have to Tether the Digitakt would be a Pain.
*** And, I have POOR Electron skills.... *** But, I haven't Given UP! (A-4, Octa MKii, Samples)
The SOUND if the Digitakt is Unquestionable, though.

- "TB-3? And the TB-03?"
1. The Menu Diving of the TB-3 (AIRA) is EASIER than the TB-03 (Boutique)
2. Detuning on the TB-3 is EASY. Most MonoSynths do a horrible job of allowing one to Detune (Volca, etc)
3. Step-Sequencer, Easy.
4. Keys. Playable. and, Different. Nice. I can do things with it that 'I can't do' on other Control Surfaces.
It BUBBLES.
5. S O U N D. Versatile. DEEP. Experimental. Drone-able Niceness.
6. Misc. Nice Roland Tempo Control. Saving. USB. FX.

- "ABL3 "
I bought the first iteration. Then.... I KNEW I needed something Physical.

I hope this Helps.

Pinkbox wrote:
14 Sep 2019
O1B wrote:
14 Sep 2019

Use your TR with a Digitakt ;)

What do you guys think of the TB-3? And the TB-03?
And O1B, since you've had both of them... what are you thoughts?
ABL3 is the very last virtual instrument I'm using now and I'd like to have eveything physical.

adfielding

14 Sep 2019

That looks really cool! Always great to have a little workspace away from the computer, I tend to find it inspires a very different way of writing & recording - I tend to record most stuff live in hardware-land, which tends to result in the arrangement having a bit more space to naturally flow. Also, working with fewer elements gives the music a bit more room to breathe - without wishing to sound pretentious, it's nice to give a bit of attention to the space-between-notes as opposed to my usual "CRAM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE INTO EVERY SPACE" approach in software :)

fwiw I tend to use a few Volcas along with a little Alesis reverb and a couple of pedals as my hardware playground. Nice and simple, loads of fun :)

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2019

Enjoy, sir!

Resonator

14 Sep 2019

That’s a nice setup you got. I really like the Aira series as well as the Boutiques. So I bought a TR-8S, TB-03, and an SH-01A for all the Roland goodness I can fit on to my desktop. I still have room for the JU-06A and I recently racked my JP-8080. I really like the System-8. But with what I have, I got all my needs taken care of. For an old analog snob like myself, I gotta admit, I’m very satisfied with the sound of all these units, and aside from that, all the modern features are very useful to me. Creating an agregate device with the TR-8s, TB-03, and SH-01A turned out to be an easy task and it’s nice to record everything in Reason without having to buy a bigger audio interface.

I’m running a 2011 Mac Mini with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I kept thinking over the past few years that I would need to upgrade both at some point. But since the R10.4 performance update and using mostly outboard gear, that won’t even be necessary. At some point, I’ll remember to add the Scarlet 2i2 to the aggregate device or just run my JP-8080 through the TR-8s inputs in order to record it in to Reason with everything else in one pass. With the added performance of R10.4, I have plenty of processing power to add all the effects and mastering needed without running into a brick wall. Life in the home studio has been good lately.
EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2019

Roland System 8
Roland System 1
Roland TB-3
Roland TR-8

EnochLight

14 Sep 2019

Thanks everyone - I'm pretty happy with the setup so far!
Jagwah wrote:
14 Sep 2019
I've always had my eye on the TB-3 because I really love using my ABL2 (never upgraded due to no crossgrade option), so I'm curious about your thoughts on it - especially compared to using a software clone? Thanks.
I've got both ABL2 as well as ABL3, and as far as I can tell - the Roland TB-3 is the next best thing to having an actual TB-303 taking into consideration it brings some useful and unique features to the table. Sound-wise, it's indistinguishable from ABL2/3 to my ears, especially in a mix. But the Scatter function just elevates it to a whole other level, as does the built-in effects. And just having a customized hardware controller meant to feel like a (modern take) on the 303 is just sweet as hell. If you can score a TB-3 used, I highly recommend one. They're still selling for $300 USD new over here, but I found one in mint condition - in the box - for just $155 USD on Reverb.com (sort of like an eBay geared towards musicians).
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Needs an MC-707!!!
Heheheh - yeah that new MC-707 is pretty bad ass, but I already own an Akai MPC Live (which I haven't even added to my standing work area yet).
O1B wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Congrats, EL. Nice Set-up, too! What's your Stand, if you don't mind? And, I too LOVE the TB-3. Never to be Sold.
I've got everything mounted directly on a wall in my studio. After a long and exhaustive search, I ended up just having custom angled wall brackets fabricated from a tool-and-die shop near Chicago, IL. He does custom lengths, which worked for me because I wanted my System 8 to stretch out slightly further below than my shelf holding the other stuff above (for better visibility). So the brackets look like this:

IMG_5950.JPG
IMG_5950.JPG (59.52 KiB) Viewed 2267 times

IMG_5951.JPG
IMG_5951.JPG (74.86 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
The shelf is only on the top, though (holding my MX-1, System 1, and TB-3). I picked it up from Ikea on the cheap. I screwed in stainless steel stops at the bottom to keep the MX-1 and System 1 from sliding forward onto the floor, but the TB-3 is so light it just stays by friction on its rubber feet. Honestly, all 3 stay put without the stops, but I didn't want to risk them sliding forward for any reason and hitting the concrete floor.:

IMG_5952.JPG
IMG_5952.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 2267 times

I have separate studio monitors for the standing work area. I picked up a set of the new Presonus Eris E5 XT's, and mounted them on the wall with a pair of Rockville RHSB8 Wall Mounts.

If anyone is interested in a parts list, I'd be happy to post one.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

14 Sep 2019

Here's the monitors (I haven't done any acoustic treatment on this wall yet, which is my next project):

IMG_5953.JPG
IMG_5953.JPG (48.37 KiB) Viewed 2264 times

IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5954.JPG (58.81 KiB) Viewed 2264 times

O1B

15 Sep 2019

Thanks for the info. Proper Wall Mount.
EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Here's the monitors (I haven't done any acoustic treatment on this wall yet, which is my next project):
the Roland TB-3 is the next best thing to having an actual TB-303
I think the TB-3 is Better. Cleaner, Pre-AMP'd... Actually Programmable.

I received the 707. I'll see how BLINKY, BLINKY it is today.

EdGrip

16 Sep 2019

Thanks to this thread, I've been watching lots of Aira jam videos on YouTube. Right up my street! It's inspiring new ideas, in combination with my new Live Suite purchase. Makes me think about dance music as the tribal drumming circle of our time. Get some rhythms going on, and mould and play with them. Yaaaaaaass!!

Jagwah

19 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
14 Sep 2019
I've got both ABL2 as well as ABL3, and as far as I can tell - the Roland TB-3 is the next best thing to having an actual TB-303 taking into consideration it brings some useful and unique features to the table. Sound-wise, it's indistinguishable from ABL2/3 to my ears, especially in a mix. But the Scatter function just elevates it to a whole other level, as does the built-in effects. And just having a customized hardware controller meant to feel like a (modern take) on the 303 is just sweet as hell. If you can score a TB-3 used, I highly recommend one. They're still selling for $300 USD new over here, but I found one in mint condition - in the box - for just $155 USD on Reverb.com (sort of like an eBay geared towards musicians).
Thanks for the answer. Just on a side note I figure your ABL2 became obsolete with the purchase of ABL3? The upgrade was just not interesting enough for me without some sort of incentive or upgrade discount, I found it a little bit scandalous as the dev even mentioned there would be an upgrade discount but just never did anything in that regard. Still quite happy with my ABL2.
I've heard people praise that scatter function on the TB-3 before, it must be a little bit similar to the the stutter algorithms in SugarBytes Slice Arranger in the sense that it's preset stutters with some controls. Feel like I'm covered in that department.
I'm glad sound wise it is indistinguishable as I'm not really missing out on anything in the meantime, but I'm sure the enjoyment of controlling it hardware style plus the scatter and other effects would make it a worthwhile purchase for me especially if I can find one too cheap to resist. Cheers. :)

• Information