Propellerhead Balance

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Nirude

12 Jun 2019

Hi,
saw one guy would be selling his Balance-unit (+Reason essientials). :PUF_balance:
Does the unit work with the very latest 10.x-version of Reason?
I was thinking to ask this from Propellerheads but I think the unit is discontinued etc.
Dont know if they would answer..
3d man.

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

I stopped using mine because it didn't work well with windows 10. At this point, it's a collectible more than anything else. If you are looking for a new audio interface, I'd look into Focusrite or something similar.

But, I think it does work with Reason 10, but have not tried with the newest version.
:reason: 12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

Mine works. I love it. I will be sad it if ever breaks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

djadalaide

12 Jun 2019

It does work with Reason 10 and Windows 10, you might have to initially unplug and replug the device when you turn the machine on, apart from that it works and acts as an additional authorizer key for your reason license.

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
Yeah, I was very sad to let it go. I love the design and that all the inputs are on the backside. It could be that my unit is broken in some way rather than not working under win 10, but I still think the OP would be better off buying something new and under warranty, in case something breaks.
:reason: 12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

Adabler wrote:
12 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
Yeah, I was very sad to let it go. I love the design and that all the inputs are on the backside. It could be that my unit is broken in some way rather than not working under win 10, but I still think the OP would be better off buying something new and under warranty, in case something breaks.
Absolutely agree.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

artotaku

12 Jun 2019

Nirude wrote:
12 Jun 2019
Hi,
saw one guy would be selling his Balance-unit (+Reason essientials). :PUF_balance:
I was thinking to ask this from Propellerheads but I think the unit is discontinued etc.
On my system it works... kind of. Typically, the re-plugging of the usb cable does the trick or starting Reason once to get also the WDM driver working. It´s a shame that the drivers are not updated anymore. It seems to work for others so I suspect it is not only Windows 10 it´s also about the machine you have (I have a HP EliteDesk 800, Intel Core i7-8700).

As others pointed out it´s such a nice audio interface and well designed so I´m currently keep using it now with all the fallacies.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

artotaku wrote:
12 Jun 2019
Nirude wrote:
12 Jun 2019
Hi,
On my system it works... kind of. Typically, the re-plugging of the usb cable does the trick or starting Reason once to get also the WDM driver working. It´s a shame that the drivers are not updated anymore. It seems to work for others so I suspect it is not only Windows 10 it´s also about the machine you have (I have a HP EliteDesk 800, Intel Core i7-8700).

As others pointed out it´s such a nice audio interface and well designed so I´m currently keep using it now with all the fallacies.
I never have to replug. But...if I don’t start Reason then all videos I play are jerky and jumpy and in slow motion. Must be some sort of driver conflict.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JunctionArsonist

12 Jun 2019

A few things about this device:

The inputs are super clean
The design and functionality are great
The device cannot handle asio and wdm driver modes simultaneously. The wdm sample rate was not stable. It would kick around between 44, 48, and 96 khz. Not sure why. This is in windows build 1809. I also found that occasionally I would get glitches in 24/96 asio mode with a new Intel i7 build and a 512 sample buffer (computer power not an issue)

I have since moved on to a Steinberg ur rt4. It's not in the same class of devices, but my comparison will be the drivers themselves... The Yamaha Steinberg asio drivers are mature and rock solid in comparison.

The balance is beautiful but it is abandonware.

The only thing they should have put on it was a power switch. But you can get an in line USB power switch to compensate.

artotaku

12 Jun 2019

JunctionArsonist wrote:
12 Jun 2019
The device cannot handle asio and wdm driver modes simultaneously. The wdm sample rate was not stable. It would kick around between 44, 48, and 96 khz. Not sure why. This is in windows build 1809. I also found that occasionally I would get glitches in 24/96 asio mode with a new Intel i7 build and a 512 sample buffer (computer power not an issue)
Yes, that´s also what happens on my system. I had a working solution with a script that restarts the driver and media device but it does not work anymore after my BIOS had been updated.
So typically I start Reason first and let the program running. Then also the WDM driver is working.

jpsegura

27 Jun 2022

Hi. I bought mine some years ago (second-hand with no USB Pendrive) and I cannot find the way to get the sound from the amp. Is there any way to connect an amp and listen to the guitar from there? I cannot even listen to the guitar from the headphones of the Balance Device. The good thing is that I can record but not listen to the guitar.

I am using Audacity by the way. I don't want to spend 200 extra bucks buying another interface.

Thanks.

Jp

• Information