Reason & Maschine Workflows

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
josiah

11 Jun 2019

Hi all. I just got my first Maschine yesterday (Micro Mk3) and I've been playing around with it. I'm curious how people who primarily use Reason are using theirs?

The workflow for sample chopping and beat building is fun and while none of the Maschine Groups are for genres I write in, I've had some fun there. Probably worth the price just as a fun toy to have a beer and make some beats.

However, when it comes to structuring or variation and fills and such, I still keep wanting to go to the Reason sequencer. Is this the basic workflow for most people? Get some inspiration, export a couple loops, import to Reason? Kind of like making your own sample pack? Do any people try to sequence Maschine against Reason for the whole song, going back and forth, only exporting in the end? (Sounds kind of nightmare-ish, but maybe I'm missing something).

Curious if people had any good tips or integration points they like. I think aside from goofing around, I'll probably end up using it more like a Kong controller, but I'm open to better ideas.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Jun 2019

I use it within reason as a vst and route separate outs to mix channels in Reason.

I do export separate pads to audio when I'm ready to arrange.

Additionally, I use the retouch control for controlling Reason from the hardware. In the MK3 I have, is a matter of pressing two buttons to switch between maschine control and Reason control.

It is a pretty fluid workflow for me.

Oquasec

11 Jun 2019

Nice to see maschine users honestly.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

josiah

11 Jun 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Jun 2019
I use it within reason as a vst and route separate outs to mix channels in Reason.

Additionally, I use the retouch control for controlling Reason from the hardware. In the MK3 I have, is a matter of pressing two buttons to switch between maschine control and Reason control.

Thanks. Do you mean just switching the controller to MIDI mode? Then Reason automatically becomes rewire Slave? I was hoping when I switched to MIDI mode, I could just use it for Kong or whatever, just as a MIDI controller, not via Rewire. Maybe both are possible.

josiah

11 Jun 2019

Oquasec wrote:
11 Jun 2019
Nice to see maschine users honestly.
It's really nice build quality, honestly. All the features might scare people away, haha. I mean $250 isn't bad just for the pads, ignoring anything else. OTOH, thus why I'm getting it now. The full size one doesn't really offer me anything more, for a much bigger price tag. Micro was nice, and mk3 with price drop is even nicer.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jun 2019

josiah wrote:
11 Jun 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Jun 2019

Thanks. Do you mean just switching the controller to MIDI mode? Then Reason automatically becomes rewire Slave? I was hoping when I switched to MIDI mode, I could just use it for Kong or whatever, just as a MIDI controller, not via Rewire. Maybe both are possible.
Yes, switching the controller to midi mode. This allows you to then control Reason from the hardware (using the retouch control MaschineR). In my setup there is no rewire involved. Reason is the host, maschine is a plugin within reason.

• Information