Apple’s new Mac Pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
motuscott

10 Jun 2019

Still I'm saving up for that monitor stand
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

miscend

10 Jun 2019

wendylou wrote:
08 Jun 2019
and their Logic Pro demo of 1000 tracks was mostly MIDI, not audio tracks with lots of plug-ins, so not a particularly valid demo for power.
I believe audio tracks will test your disk streaming bandwidth. Whereas midi tracks will tax the CPU. A typical midi track will be running instances of Kontakt or Alchemy etc etc.
Last edited by miscend on 10 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

10 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
10 Jun 2019
They should have just said the display is $6k with a stand. The problem is people are comparing it to ordinary cheap computer monitors when they should be comparing to professional reference quality displays, which typically cost 30 grand or more. Apple are going for the pro video market here.

stratatonic

10 Jun 2019

tronam

10 Jun 2019

The messaging was clear; This computer is not aimed at users like us at all. To get an idea of the market they have in mind, check out RED’s $900 handle for their camera bodies or $1200 240GB SSDs when you could get one by the same flash manufacturer (Samsung) for $60-100. Apple is targeting high end production companies who need things like real-time 8K HDR RAW workflows without the need for proxies and heavy VFX or 3D rendering. This kind of computer is total overkill for most audio content creators outside of major Hollywood studios.

As someone who has owned several Mac Pros in the past, part of me is sad that I’m no longer a part of their target demographic, but I’m glad these options exist now. Apple has been criticized for years by pros all over the world on this issue and I want there to be no-compromise aspirational computer hardware like this to be in their pipeline. For all we know these R&D investments could carry over to more systems in the future that are within reach for prosumers and midrange professionals.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

reggie1979

10 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
10 Jun 2019
SUPER DUPER LOLS......................... :lol:

reggie1979

10 Jun 2019

tronam wrote:
10 Jun 2019
The messaging was clear; This computer is not aimed at users like us at all. To get an idea of the market they have in mind, check out RED’s $900 handle for their camera bodies or $1200 240GB SSDs when you could get one by the same flash manufacturer (Samsung) for $60-100. Apple is targeting high end production companies who need things like real-time 8K HDR RAW workflows without the need for proxies and heavy VFX or 3D rendering. This kind of computer is total overkill for most audio content creators outside of major Hollywood studios.

As someone who has owned several Mac Pros in the past, part of me is sad that I’m no longer a part of their target demographic, but I’m glad these options exist now. Apple has been criticized for years by pros all over the world on this issue and I want there to be no-compromise aspirational computer hardware like this to be in their pipeline. For all we know these R&D investments could carry over to more systems in the future that are within reach for prosumers and midrange professionals.
I said this in another thread on some forum, who exactly is this aimed at? Certainly not music studios, they can't afford it. Video? Ok, maybe but what is exactly going to be different vs. what is out there. That it can be more expensive? A TB of ram?????????????????????????????????? I mean, come on.....who IS IT aimed at?

Let me explain, VS. what? So high end so and so will use it, but what does it do that a high end PC cannot? I argue NOTHING. And at half the price, with more USB options/etc it can be had. Unless of course you are referring to "mac only" software, which is, quaint.

QVprod

10 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
tronam wrote:
10 Jun 2019

I said this in another thread on some forum, who exactly is this aimed at? Certainly not music studios, they can't afford it. Video? Ok, maybe but what is exactly going to be different vs. what is out there. That it can be more expensive? A TB of ram?????????????????????????????????? I mean, come on.....who IS IT aimed at?

Let me explain, VS. what? So high end so and so will use it, but what does it do that a high end PC cannot? I argue NOTHING. And at half the price, with more USB options/etc it can be had. Unless of course you are referring to "mac only" software, which is, quaint.
Aimed primarily at Pro Video users clearly. Hollywood composers as well. That’s the market. With the exception of the base model, an equivalent PC won’t be much cheaper.

miscend

11 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
tronam wrote:
10 Jun 2019

You should just buy a computer that suits your needs. If you need to work with multiple 8k streams in real time then the new Mac Pro is the way to go. At this moment in time you cannot even buy a high end computer that meets that the Mac Pro’s specs. Much of the hardware like the 28 core Intel, Afterburner 8k FPGA and quad GPU boxes are not even on the market yet.

Most people that get the new Mac Pro won’t be paying for it out of their own pockets. The company they work for will pay for it out of their production budget.

reggie1979

13 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
10 Jun 2019
It'll be outdated by then :lol:

reggie1979

13 Jun 2019

miscend wrote:
11 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019

You should just buy a computer that suits your needs. If you need to work with multiple 8k streams in real time then the new Mac Pro is the way to go. At this moment in time you cannot even buy a high end computer that meets that the Mac Pro’s specs. Much of the hardware like the 28 core Intel, Afterburner 8k FPGA and quad GPU boxes are not even on the market yet.

Most people that get the new Mac Pro won’t be paying for it out of their own pockets. The company they work for will pay for it out of their production budget.
I have a computer that meets my needs, not going to keep me from commenting on the absurdity that is this thing. Even the imac pro is VASTLY overpriced and that isn't aimed at anyone other than the fool that will spend the money because it's "apple" ;)

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2019

miscend wrote:
11 Jun 2019

I agree. The power in that thing is insane, so it follows that the price would be commensurate. If you need that much juice, you’re probably working in a field where the money earned from one job will more than cover the cost of the machine.

reggie1979

14 Jun 2019

DOH!

Faastwalker

14 Jun 2019

QVprod

14 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
13 Jun 2019
miscend wrote:
11 Jun 2019

I have a computer that meets my needs, not going to keep me from commenting on the absurdity that is this thing. Even the imac pro is VASTLY overpriced and that isn't aimed at anyone other than the fool that will spend the money because it's "apple" ;)
Why make the case that a high end cheaper priced PC is suitable for the average user when these are clearly not aimed at the average user? :eh: I'll just leave this here.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019

Mostly at video production, but also at music studios using big Pro Tools rigs that use multiple PCI cards. There hasn’t been a new computer from apple that can support PCI cards for many years now, and the folks that need such support have been complaining (and their complaints have been heard!).
Selig Audio, LLC

diminished
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2019

Probably the only computer that can run 2 instances of Repro-5 :D
While I certainly don't care about Apple or their pro product lineup, I'm excited about this just because it shows what's technically possible and eventually everyone else will catch up, at a lower price point.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

QVprod

14 Jun 2019

Further context. Here's an audio engineer perspective.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
14 Jun 2019

Great video - most of my studio friends in Nashville who run PT are running very old computers (by "computer" standards - not even "vintage" by microphone standards).

While many do not have the cash on hand to upgrade immediately, this is the ONLY upgrade path available (after many years of no upgrade path). So even though they are not able to upgrade today, they will likely upgrade in a few years when the new models come out and the price on these models drops (or they appear on the used market). Most of these folks are elated with the announcement of the new Mac Pro!
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

14 Jun 2019

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
14 Jun 2019

Great video - most of my studio friends in Nashville who run PT are running very old computers (by "computer" standards - not even "vintage" by microphone standards).

While many do not have the cash on hand to upgrade immediately, this is the ONLY upgrade path available (after many years of no upgrade path). So even though they are not able to upgrade today, they will likely upgrade in a few years when the new models come out and the price on these models drops (or they appear on the used market). Most of these folks are elated with the announcement of the new Mac Pro!
I believe it. No one working in studios reliant of Pro Tools HD was really gonna move to the 2013 Mac Pro. Plus recording studios tend not not upgrade computers/software often anyway. I remember going to a studio in 2013 that was still using a G5. This however will be well worth investing in.

reggie1979

18 Jun 2019

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019

Mostly at video production, but also at music studios using big Pro Tools rigs that use multiple PCI cards. There hasn’t been a new computer from apple that can support PCI cards for many years now, and the folks that need such support have been complaining (and their complaints have been heard!).
You people with money scare me :lol:

reddust

19 Jun 2019

If I were to spend an important amount of money on a computer I would rather go for a customized workstation than this.

First because after years using Mac OS I finally decided to go back to windows, the lack of flexibility by Apple can get pretty annoying sometimes when you're using your computer a little bit more in depth than the regular user. Not saying that windows is perfect because it isn't either, but Mac OS can get quite annoying when it comes to restrictions. I've also seen enough bugs in Mac OS to get rid of that aura they used to have that pros would rather use Macintosh computers than windows, those times are gone since years now.

But apart from personal preferences on the OS, I would rather buy a customized computer that fits exactly my needs, saving money here and there to invest it in the features I really need. You can get a very powerful machine that is more than enough for most (semi-)professional users for around half the price of this, and you even get to choose different designs for the computer case :)

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
18 Jun 2019
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019

You people with money scare me :lol:
You should have no reason to fear me, then! 🤪
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
19 Jun 2019
If I were to spend an important amount of money on a computer I would rather go for a customized workstation than this.

First because after years using Mac OS I finally decided to go back to windows, the lack of flexibility by Apple can get pretty annoying sometimes when you're using your computer a little bit more in depth than the regular user. Not saying that windows is perfect because it isn't either, but Mac OS can get quite annoying when it comes to restrictions. I've also seen enough bugs in Mac OS to get rid of that aura they used to have that pros would rather use Macintosh computers than windows, those times are gone since years now.

But apart from personal preferences on the OS, I would rather buy a customized computer that fits exactly my needs, saving money here and there to invest it in the features I really need. You can get a very powerful machine that is more than enough for most (semi-)professional users for around half the price of this, and you even get to choose different designs for the computer case :)
Exactly - as I said, this is aimed at Mac using professionals that need PCI slots and who felt abandoned by past Apple products with their lack of customization options. Semi-professionals should take your route or stick with iMacs if wanting to work on Mac OS IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

19 Jun 2019

miscend wrote:
11 Jun 2019

• Information