Best USB Audio Interface??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

10 Jul 2019

OK, So from what I've heard there's an improvement in the dynamic range and the preamps are noticeably louder than the previous gen, so it might be worth the extra £49 to get the newer one if you're serious about recording, not seen any comparison reviews yet though, the gen 2 stuff already has a pretty good rep.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

reggie1979

10 Jul 2019

I'm not surprised. I find it difficult to believe that all sound cards are the same considering that there are analog components that are very different. An SSL and a Neve both work well, but they don't sound the same.

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jul 2019
I'm not surprised. I find it difficult to believe that all sound cards are the same considering that there are analog components that are very different. An SSL and a Neve both work well, but they don't sound the same.
I think its more that whatever comment you are referencing must have meant that the sameness would be about people's hearing and not being able to distinguish what was recorded with what. I tend to agree with this thinking.

I couldn't hear any difference between scarlett and clarett ( MAYBE ) with AIR on cymbals .... I felt could have been accomplished with a subtle eq boost.

One youtuber with a high end card ( RME I think ) said at best it was 5% better than his other cards. So the actual differences between a 300 dollar soundcard vs a 2000 dollar one is 5% evben though price the difference is 500-1000%.

Sure if you have the funds and are making money with music go for high end. For many, I think the prosumer interfaces are good enough. ( looking at you scarlett ) + Focusrite is an awesome company. They seem to support their products well + good drivers.

reggie1979

11 Jul 2019

I simply have a hard time with analog gear automatically sounding the same. To my ears, my Profire 610 sounds better than my RME (which sounds to me way better than my focusrite) but since it's just me, I have no way of authenticating it.

As far as funds are concerned, I bought my RME because of the drivers. I have to say it was a good investment.

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
11 Jul 2019
I simply have a hard time with analog gear automatically sounding the same. To my ears, my Profire 610 sounds better than my RME (which sounds to me way better than my focusrite) but since it's just me, I have no way of authenticating it.

As far as funds are concerned, I bought my RME because of the drivers. I have to say it was a good investment.
Cool. Do you think in a blind test you could distinguish what was recorded with what among the interfaces you own?

reggie1979

11 Jul 2019

I dunno. It would take using the same cans and same source and by that time I'd just give up.

I'll tell you one thing, I don't really care that much. If it works, I just use the damn thing. The profire (even with a TI chipset) had a nasty side effect. It would blue screen if you crashed and tried to restart the host. You had to reboot the computer completely. I still have it though, just in case.

• Information