eMastered referencing mastering

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mashers

30 May 2019

Has anyone tried this out? You upload your pre-mastered track, and a reference track. The algorithms analyse the reference track somehow, and use that to determine the parameters for mastering your track. I did it with one of my tracks (Space Invaders) and used Get Seduced by The Faint as the reference track. The result was much louder, and definitely sounded crisper and more professional. I'd be interested in others' views on this, as I know automated mastering is controversial...

jappe

30 May 2019

mashers wrote:
30 May 2019
Has anyone tried this out? You upload your pre-mastered track, and a reference track. The algorithms analyse the reference track somehow, and use that to determine the parameters for mastering your track. I did it with one of my tracks (Space Invaders) and used Get Seduced by The Faint as the reference track. The result was much louder, and definitely sounded crisper and more professional. I'd be interested in others' views on this, as I know automated mastering is controversial...
I've used it since it was a free service and it works for me.
It's so convenient to focus on other parts of music making instead of losing myself in the details of mastering.

Reference mastering is a rather new feature, I haven't really used it.

Would be nice to know how pro's on Reasontalk feel about these kind of services and this one in particular.

mashers

30 May 2019

jappe wrote:
30 May 2019
I've used it since it was a free service and it works for me.
It's so convenient to focus on other parts of music making instead of losing myself in the details of mastering.

Reference mastering is a rather new feature, I haven't really used it.

Would be nice to know how pro's on Reasontalk feel about these kind of services and this one in particular.
Thanks man. I think I'll wait until I've finished an EP and then go with a monthly sub just so I can master the whole thing, then cancel the sub. The way I'm looking at it is that I don't want to to focus on learning how to master it myself, and can't afford an engineer. So if this makes it sound better then it can only be a good thing :)

boingy

30 May 2019

Bandlab offer somewhat simplistic free mastering for unlimited songs. Might be interesting to compare the results with some of the other services.

You can try it here and hear the full result but to download the result you need to create a free account:

https://www.bandlab.com/mastering

Most of us will never afford a quality human mastering engineer so I guess we're stuck with the online ones or things like Ozone 8 (which seems pretty good to my inadequate ears).

mashers

30 May 2019

boingy wrote:
30 May 2019
Bandlab offer somewhat simplistic free mastering for unlimited songs. Might be interesting to compare the results with some of the other services.

You can try it here and hear the full result but to download the result you need to create a free account:

https://www.bandlab.com/mastering

Most of us will never afford a quality human mastering engineer so I guess we're stuck with the online ones or things like Ozone 8 (which seems pretty good to my inadequate ears).
Thanks man. I'll give it a try and compare it with emastered. I am prepared to pay for an online service though, and I particularly like the reference mastering option of emastered. I used it to master my cover of Euphoria by Killing Joke, and used Monument by Royksopp as the reference track. It sounds bloody lovely to my ear.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7512424

I'm so glad these services exist now. There's no way I could get it sounding this good, nor afford for someone else to do it for me.

• Information