Companion for the OP-Z

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
VariableX

29 May 2019

A few months ago I bought the OP-Z after flipping some of my unused gear (amp and drum machine).

Well today I sold one of my guitars so I have some spare lolly 😀

I love the OP-Z and would like to find another Instrument that will play nice with it for a kinda DAWless setup ( although I will still use Reason often with these things too)

I was thinking of an Elektron Digitone, but I would love to hear some options if anyone has experience or ideas?

I noticed the 1010blackbox thread, which would be an option too, it looks pretty cool, but when he starts using the touch screen it just made me think how nice it is not to need a screen, like with the OP-Z.

Its a really good feeling flipping old unused gear for new goodies which I wouldn't have the money for otherwise 😀

O1B

29 May 2019

It sounds the Biz. Its already the 'small' one. its drums OR synth.
What wouldn't be a Good Companion to the OP-Z?

The Digitakt sounds Awesome... just a bit more tedious than the Model:Samples, imo... fyi...
...so many choices though...
fretshot7 wrote:
29 May 2019

Its a really good feeling flipping old unused gear for new goodies which I wouldn't have the money for otherwise 😀
All my new Gear was financed this way. Decksavers, Saving the Box, and Reliable Shipping - all goes a long way...

I'll let Iceman and The Whiz tell it:

VariableX

29 May 2019

digitakt,model:samples, and digitone all in my price range. not sure about the model:samples. I figured the digitone, cos I have the drum sequencing sorted with the op-z and its a great synth too, but adding some fm from the digitone might be the ticket...

O1B

29 May 2019

Ahh! DigiTONE!!! and, Digitone. That's a nice Combo.
I keep forgetting about the Digitone. I have the A4 MK2. If I did it again, Id start with a Digitone.

fretshot7 wrote:
29 May 2019
digitakt,model:samples, and digitone all in my price range. not sure about the model:samples. I figured the digitone, cos I have the drum sequencing sorted with the op-z and its a great synth too, but adding some fm from the digitone might be the ticket...

tt_lab

29 May 2019

I would say blackbox...those little things (opz & Blackbox) are in my dreams lol

VariableX

29 May 2019

tt_lab wrote:
29 May 2019
I would say blackbox...those little things (opz & Blackbox) are in my dreams lol
Yes i had a good look at it but the touch screen thing turns me off for some reason.

Got my heart set on a Digitone at the moment and the blackbox hasn't changed it...

VariableX

29 May 2019

O1B wrote:
29 May 2019
Ahh! DigiTONE!!! and, Digitone. That's a nice Combo.
I keep forgetting about the Digitone. I have the A4 MK2. If I did it again, Id start with a Digitone.

fretshot7 wrote:
29 May 2019
The A4 MK2 looks/sounds brilliant! but out my price range. I aint gonna spend a cent more than I bring in with old gear sales. Guess i could sell something else, but once i sell a couple of other things i need a new midi keyboard, audio interface and monitors (the boring stuff) wanna get the fun stuff first 😂

jayhosking

29 May 2019

I've been using the Digitone with the OP-Z a bunch. I'm personally not a huge fan of the synth sounds on it, so it's nice to swap them out with the multiple voices of the Digitone.

Here's a new video I made with the OP-Z and Digitone playing friendly:

If you were looking to complement the OP-Z's sounds, then I'd maybe think about a couple of small analogue synths; for the price of the Digitone, you could probably find a used Moog Minitaur (the best bass around), Novation Circuit Mono Station (a seriously underrated unit), and even a Volca for good measure.

Here's a track with the OP-Z controlling a Moog Minitaur, Moog Sirin, Novation Circuit Mono Station, and Behringer Deepmind 12D:

In other words, there's probably no wrong answer here, so go with a sound you really like!

VariableX

29 May 2019

jayhosking wrote:
29 May 2019
I've been using the Digitone with the OP-Z a bunch. I'm personally not a huge fan of the synth sounds on it, so it's nice to swap them out with the multiple voices of the Digitone.

Here's a new video I made with the OP-Z and Digitone playing friendly:

If you were looking to complement the OP-Z's sounds, then I'd maybe think about a couple of small analogue synths; for the price of the Digitone, you could probably find a used Moog Minitaur (the best bass around), Novation Circuit Mono Station (a seriously underrated unit), and even a Volca for good measure.

Here's a track with the OP-Z controlling a Moog Minitaur, Moog Sirin, Novation Circuit Mono Station, and Behringer Deepmind 12D:

In other words, there's probably no wrong answer here, so go with a sound you really like!
Thanks for the new ideas and information!
Food for thought for sure, ill go and check out the hardware you mention.

And thanks for posting the links it was a pleasure to indulge you! I very much enjoyed both.

Out of interest where was the cabin?

jayhosking

29 May 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
29 May 2019
Out of interest where was the cabin?
In the Discovery Islands, British Columbia, Canada. I love the temperate rainforest.

And thanks so much for the kind words! Good luck with finding some hardware; it's always a real joy to add new beautiful sounds to the palette.

lakinlakin

30 May 2019

jayhosking wrote:
29 May 2019
Good advice.

I too have been looking for something to 'go' with my OP-Z. I agree with you on the synth sounds of the OP-Z, but I'm hoping they will get better with future firmwares.

The Digitone is on my options list as is the Blackbox. Would be good to have both.

VariableX

30 May 2019

Has anyone checked out the Organelle?
Seems pretty interesting. Still got my eyes on the Digitone tho even after checking on Novation and Moog mentioned earlier, they haven't swayed me.

thatboicrazi11

30 May 2019

I am planning on using the OP-Z and the MPC LIVE as my mobile rig. I feel they compliment each other nicely as I can record the output of my OP-Z tracks directly into the MPC and chop them up and apply it's AIR effects to the sequences to add polish. I'm also planning on using the OP-Z to sequence my Waldorf Blofeld Desktop unit to create some nostalgic synth melodies to then export into Reason 10.

thatboicrazi11

30 May 2019

I can also recommend the Moog ONE 16 Voice and the Eventide H9000 Multi FX Rack as a companion to the OP-Z. You can physically use the OP-Z to push down the giant keys on the Moog and record the outputs thru an SSL with the H9000 on a bus channel.

VariableX

30 May 2019

thatboicrazi11 wrote:
30 May 2019
I can also recommend the Moog ONE 16 Voice and the Eventide H9000 Multi FX Rack as a companion to the OP-Z. You can physically use the OP-Z to push down the giant keys on the Moog and record the outputs thru an SSL with the H9000 on a bus channel.
haha! I had to read that twice!
you can also hide it between books on a bookshelf, burglars will never find it 😀

VariableX

01 Jun 2019

This Organelle device along with the Pure Data audio programming is really interesting. I believe they have a new device about to drop with built in speaker, mic and battery based on a raspberry pi.

But, since I have been looking, I haven't touched my hardware devices even once, if I turn on Reason im lost in it until someone drags me away its like an addiction.

• Information