Cubase Pro 10 - Half Price (and crossgrade)!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 18 May 2019

How much of use is Cubase Pro for all things video? Has anyone incorporated it into their workflow?

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1304
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 18 May 2019

Took the plunge and got mine on Friday. I am considering not activating it until 10.5 releases possibly around November. Anyway for a piece of software that normally costs $500. The box is no frills. The only thing inside is a usb dongle and registration code. No installation DVDs. Not even a getting started leaflet. Could have put the sample library on physical media. Some ISPs still have data caps.

Reason still comes with install discs. NI Komplete comes with a USB drive which serves as your backup archive for all the sample content.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 23 May 2019

I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?

kitekrazy
Posts: 725
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 23 May 2019

diminished wrote:
23 May 2019
I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?
If you buy it might as well use it. Just like any other DAW you can hold off upgrading.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 25 May 2019

diminished wrote:
23 May 2019
I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?
I bought a license from a 3rd party. This is what I did: I got Cubase 10 Pro competitive upgrade. The code I got is officially called "Download Access Code". I tried the code first in the eLicenser program (has to be downloaded), but it did not work. Went to my Cubase account and entered it - bam it took it said it got registered. Thought first that I screwed up. But it turns out that I only generated my "Activation Code" by registering the "Download Access Code". So now I have Pro 10 listed under the tab "Software", but only not listed under the tab "eLicenses". Finally I put in the Activation Code in the eLicenser Windows app, and it said it was for Pro 10. But I clicked "cancel" so it never got activated. I think it is all good now.
Cubase have said, if you activate after they have announced the grace period for the next update (10.5) has started, then you get 10.5 for free.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 185
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 25 May 2019

The Steinberg dongle I received said it can store multiple licenses , can I put my reason license on it as well?

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 25 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
25 May 2019
diminished wrote:
23 May 2019
I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?
I bought a license from a 3rd party. This is what I did: I got Cubase 10 Pro competitive upgrade. The code I got is officially called "Download Access Code". I tried the code first in the eLicenser program (has to be downloaded), but it did not work. Went to my Cubase account and entered it - bam it took it said it got registered. Thought first that I screwed up. But it turns out that I only generated my "Activation Code" by registering the "Download Access Code". So now I have Pro 10 listed under the tab "Software", but only not listed under the tab "eLicenses". Finally I put in the Activation Code in the eLicenser Windows app, and it said it was for Pro 10. But I clicked "cancel" so it never got activated. I think it is all good now.
Cubase have said, if you activate after they have announced the grace period for the next update (10.5) has started, then you get 10.5 for free.
Thanks Boombastix, much appreciated! Sounds a little convoluted but I guess that's the Steinberg way. Steinway. Ba dum tsss.
So they even announces the grace period? That's nice.
Still got a few days to decide... :)

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1304
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 01 Sep 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 May 2019
The Steinberg dongle I received said it can store multiple licenses , can I put my reason license on it as well?
Nope they are incompatible. Reason uses the Codemeter CMstick dongle. Steinberg use the e-licenser dongle. Waves allow you to use any class compliant USB dongle you want. Then pretty much everyone else uses iLok.
Last edited by miscend on 01 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1304
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 01 Sep 2019

How is everyone getting along with Cubase. How have you integrated it into your workflow with Reason?

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 01 Sep 2019

I'm waiting for 10.5 to be announced before I activate my license.. and I would love to hear about your experiences, too!

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 287
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 01 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
23 May 2019
I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?
Cubase 10.5 will likely be announced in ~3 months, so they usually start offering upgrade discounts mid-year. If one was *really* patient, waiting until 10.5 could save $99.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) | Intel 8-Core i9 9900K | Radeon Pro Vega 48 | 24GB RAM

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 01 Sep 2019

tronam wrote:
01 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
23 May 2019
I've read that it makes sense to buy a license and wait with an activation until an update is near due to their predictable upgrade cycles.
Can you confirm that? Smart move if you don't immediately need the software but want it for its current price?
And in your opinion, when would that time be (including a grace period)?
Is activation and upgrade a cumbersome process?
Cubase 10.5 will likely be announced in ~3 months, so they usually start offering upgrade discounts mid-year. If one was *really* patient, waiting until 10.5 could save $99.
That's the plan, and time is on my side since I won't upgrade to Reason 11 in the foreseeable future. Until then I plan on watching loads of Cubase tutorials.
(Is there a common abbreviation for Cubase? CB or something?)

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 287
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 01 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Sep 2019
tronam wrote:
01 Sep 2019

Cubase 10.5 will likely be announced in ~3 months, so they usually start offering upgrade discounts mid-year. If one was *really* patient, waiting until 10.5 could save $99.
That's the plan, and time is on my side since I won't upgrade to Reason 11 in the foreseeable future. Until then I plan on watching loads of Cubase tutorials.
(Is there a common abbreviation for Cubase? CB or something?)
Usually CP for Cubase Pro. I've been using it since the late 90s and although I think its pianoroll (key editor) is one of the best in the industry, I've always had a love/hate relationship with its workflow and sometimes convoluted interface design. I also find their instruments and built-in plugins to be pretty half-baked in most cases, although this has been getting better. It has consistently been one of the least stable DAWs in my experience as well with random crashes to desktop being a pretty common experience for CP users, and this has been true on both my Windows and Mac systems. Thankfully auto-save makes this a mostly non-issue. Overall it's a great, powerful DAW and one of the few remaining industry granddaddies.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) | Intel 8-Core i9 9900K | Radeon Pro Vega 48 | 24GB RAM

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 01 Sep 2019

tronam wrote:
01 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
01 Sep 2019


That's the plan, and time is on my side since I won't upgrade to Reason 11 in the foreseeable future. Until then I plan on watching loads of Cubase tutorials.
(Is there a common abbreviation for Cubase? CB or something?)
Usually CP for Cubase Pro. I've been using it since the late 90s and although I think its pianoroll (key editor) is one of the best in the industry, I've always had a love/hate relationship with its workflow and sometimes convoluted interface design. I also find their instruments and built-in plugins to be pretty half-baked in most cases, although this has been getting better. It has consistently been one of the least stable DAWs in my experience as well with random crashes to desktop being a pretty common experience for CP users, and this has been true on both my Windows and Mac systems. Thankfully auto-save makes this a mostly non-issue. Overall it's a great, powerful DAW and one of the few remaining industry granddaddies.
I quite like it but what were they thinking with the right-click thing??? You expect to find context menus and just get the toolbar that you can select with hot keys.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 185
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 01 Sep 2019

I have been digging in to Cubase a fair bit. My impressions are that it is a great DAW for production. It has loads of really cool features, arranger track, sliding samples in clips, per note modulation curves in the sequencer plus all the other sequencer tools that Reason users are clamouring for. It has fully fledged midi routing including signal path filters etc etc. It can do everything it’s a beast. It’s even got loads of midi effects that cover your player functionality.

The built in synths are mostly crap. But Retrologue 2 is pretty good. Groove agent is like a mega Kong with way more functionality but I just don’t vibe with it.

I didn’t get on well with Rewire, mostly because it’s a cpu hog and my laptop is overdue an upgrade but then that’s going to be irrelevant soon anyway.

What it lacks is Reason’s sense of experimentation and playfulness. It’s business like and a powerhouse but not much fun. It’s also a bit tricky to learn, partly because of the depth of features but also because it has its own set of icons and conventions that are not totally obvious to the new comer.

If I was recording/mixing/mastering an album I would use Cubase, for sound design and jamming synths Reason owns it and if I was looking elsewhere I would personally be looking at live or bitwig

- by the way you can change the right click behaviour in prefs.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 01 Sep 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
01 Sep 2019
- by the way you can change the right click behaviour in prefs.
I'd like to say two things:
1. Oh FFS. How the F did I not F'ing spot that?
and
2. Thank you.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests