New Zoom F6 - records to 32- bit float

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

10 Apr 2019

The official announcement will be made in May.

That record scratch when he explains that you don't have to set gain and that there are no gain settings :lol:

Sounds very promising soundwise. Not sure how I feel about the form factor; particularly the knobs and their layout. If the knobs are only serving as faders, and if there is no gain setting when in 32-bit mode (which I'm guessing will be the biggest appeal of this), and the fader level seems to only really be serving for monitoring when recording, not sure I would need them to be so large. Looks also to be a bit cramped.

But really cool the idea that you could import an audio file that looks silent, hit normalize, and get an audio track that sounds as good as if you had proper gain and levels set when recording is a game changer.

From Curtis Judd's video description:
Zoom just announced their new F6 field recorder for location sound audio recording. Rather than just tweak the form factor, which they did, they also moved to dual analogue to digital converters which record to 32 bit. So the way you record changes pretty dramatically. When recording to 32 bit, you don't set the gain trim (there is none), you simply adjust the fader for each input channel. If you missed the level, no problem, in post you can cleanly normalize to the levels you need with no degradation in audio quality.

They've also switched up a few other things: The screen is a slightly smaller version of the high resolution screen from the F8n, the back of the recorder is a Sony NP-F (L series) battery sled, and you can now power the F6 via its USB-C input. The same quality timecode generator from the F8n is on board, this time with a 3.5mm TRS input/output jack. The F6 has a single SD card slot for recording media and still includes the advanced hybrid limiter when you record in 24 bit.

Auto mix is included and the with an adapter, you can use the Zoom Control app for iOS. You can also use the Zoom F-Control control surface.

joeyluck

27 May 2019

If anybody is following along, here is a video that shows some initial tests and impressions. I am very impressed. Really hope they integrate this tech into other products. The F6 looks pretty compact, but not sure if it's the form factor for me...

I have the video cued to start at the examples, go to the beginning if you want the intro/explanation.

joeyluck

12 Sep 2019

Just learned that Sound Devices announced an update to their MixPre line, MixPre II, which will also record to 32-bit float. Perhaps a reaction to the buzz around the Zoom F6.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre/

I like the form factor of these a little better than the Zoom F6. Although I'm sure Zoom will release some different recorders utilizing 32-bit float.

I also appreciate that the Sound Devices MixPre II includes a 3.5mm mic input. I think though I would have to get the 6 if I wanted to do ambisonic recordings (need 4 inputs). If Zoom updates their F4, that might be just what I need.

Here is Sound Devices explanation of 32-bit float recording: https://www.sounddevices.com/32-bit-flo ... explained/
And some example files: https://www.sounddevices.com/sample-32- ... wav-files/

Proboscis

12 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2019
I think though I would have to get the 6 if I wanted to do ambisonic recordings (need 4 inputs).
Have you done much work in this field ? I would be interested to know more on your experience, plus methodology and techniques to get a good result both in the recording and in mixdown.

joeyluck

12 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
12 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2019
I think though I would have to get the 6 if I wanted to do ambisonic recordings (need 4 inputs).
Have you done much work in this field ? I would be interested to know more on your experience, plus methodology and techniques to get a good result both in the recording and in mixdown.
I do lots of field recording. And I do binaural audio recording. But I haven't used anything like the Zoom H3-VR or the Sennheiser Ambeo VR mic, which can be used with Zoom's 4+ channel recorders and others.

• Information