Ni Komplete Kontrol A61 with Reason. What works? What doesn't?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Garven

26 Mar 2019

I'm about to buy a MIDI controller and an A61 is one of my choices. In fact, everything I read and see online seems to point to it as the best choice in its price range.

However, I`m concerned because I keep reading accounts of the A series controllers (like the S series) not working well with the DAWS I've invested in and use regularly, namely Propellerhead Reason and Cockos Reaper. It seems to be clear that the transport controls won't work. I can live with this, but what about the other controls? I have Komplete Start and the other free players that were available before it and like these just fine using the little M-Audio mini 32 I've had for awhile (much too small, so that's why I want a 61 key full-size controller). I eventually intend to buy Komplete but I still want to use Reason as well as other VSTs I own such as Syntronik.

So could someone clarify what I can expect to work and what won't work? Thanks.

QVprod

26 Mar 2019

I have an A61. The knobs work, but you have to manually assign them in DAWs that aren't supported.

Garven

27 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
26 Mar 2019
I have an A61. The knobs work, but you have to manually assign them in DAWs that aren't supported.
thanks. Do you assign them with the NI Controller Editor? Also, do the knobs work without reassignment if you're using NI plugins either directly or through the Komplete Kontrol plugin?

QVprod

27 Mar 2019

Garven wrote:
27 Mar 2019
QVprod wrote:
26 Mar 2019
thanks. Do you assign them with the NI Controller Editor? Also, do the knobs work without reassignment if you're using NI plugins either directly or through the Komplete Kontrol plugin?
No. You'd have to assign them in the DAW. Controller editor doesn't work for the A series as of yet. The knobs will of course automatically map to Komplete Kontrol, they don't automatically map to any plugin outside of it. Pressing Shift and Plugin will put it into template mode where you can assign the knobs to anything else. The only issue is it's not easy to switch between instances, or at least I haven't found out how to do it.

• Information