Using 2 Interfaces with Reason 10 (but not at the same time)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Sedan Love

20 Feb 2019

Hello

Can I use 2 interfaces relatively easy with Reason 10 and Windows 10? I do not wish to use them at the same time.
For example, does Reason have to be closed down and restarted to access the other interface etc?

Background:
I asked a question some time ago about needing more inputs for the hardware I have, which is a used Roland JV 1080, Alesis SR 16 and a Novation Bass Station 2. I also have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (Firewire), which does not quite have enough inputs for the above. The solution to my earlier request seemed to be a mixer.
Having just retired and moved, most of my stuff is still in boxes, so I can't test this myself yet (I also have Reason 7 but will upgrade). At the start of unpacking I found my old Lexicon Alpha (USB) interface and I'm wondering if I use ASIO4ALL for either both interfaces or the Alpha, I might be able to use the Alpha with the SR 16 or the JV 1080.
My research this morning seems to indicate ASIO4ALL may work with 2 devices at the same time?
Doing the above may prevent me having to shell out on a mixer, as I might have all I need? I just want to set up and not have to mess about too much, and being retired I'm getting a bit stingy :D
Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

guitfnky

20 Feb 2019

ASIO4ALL should work fine for 2 interfaces, even at the same time. I use my firewire MOTU 8pre alongside a GT-1000 with this setup. I can't say it works flawlessly (close, though). I've been having some issues with my PC lately though, so I wouldn't let that dissuade you from at least trying it out.

and if you're not planning to ever use them simultaneously, you could just switch to the one you want to use in the Reason Preferences, if you'd rather not bother setting up ASIO4ALL. the obvious downside is you'd have to manually do the swap whenever you wanted to switch.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Sedan Love

20 Feb 2019

Thanks guitfnky,

That's the reply I was hoping for. I doubt I'd ever need both interfaces at once, as long as it's not too much hassle in Preferences (or using ASIO$ALL on both), I'll try that route. Saves me a few $$ :) Should be up and running soon.
Cheers.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
20 Feb 2019
ASIO4ALL should work fine for 2 interfaces, even at the same time. I use my firewire MOTU 8pre alongside a GT-1000 with this setup. I can't say it works flawlessly (close, though). I've been having some issues with my PC lately though, so I wouldn't let that dissuade you from at least trying it out.

and if you're not planning to ever use them simultaneously, you could just switch to the one you want to use in the Reason Preferences, if you'd rather not bother setting up ASIO4ALL. the obvious downside is you'd have to manually do the swap whenever you wanted to switch.
This. But may i add you don't have to restart Reason to change audio driver.

Sedan Love

21 Feb 2019

Excellent. Thank You.

• Information