Alesis SR-16 question.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg

Post 09 Feb 2019

Manny years ago when I bought my first 4-track I wanted a drum machine. The guy in the shop persuaded me I didn’t want an 808 and I should by the SR-16 instead. Man was I easily led back then.
Anyway...found it the other day still in the box and pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it. My question is...I read that RDK can map to Alesis stuff so wondered if it would work as a midi drum controller if I connect it to my PC. Might be cooler thumping on rubber pads than on plastic keys.

guitfnky

Post 09 Feb 2019

ah yes, the Alesis SR-16, my dear old friend...you kinda sucked, but that’s what was cool about you, wasn’t it? 😆

as long as you’ve got the right MIDI cables hooked up, I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t work.

MrFigg

Post 09 Feb 2019

Yep. I wanted to be at the forefront of cutting edge indie-electronica and instead became a waltz-samba-metal fusion artist.

seanmichaels

Post 10 Feb 2019

Totally doable! Just need a MIDI to USB interface! There are super affordable ones on Amazon; Roland also makes one that's like 30 bucks. This is unless of course you already have an audio interface with MIDI in.

That being said, I don't know how well it will work with a DAW since it wasn't designed in this fashion. I'm a huge fan of NI's Maschine lineup. There's also a bunch of other options available from Roland, Korg, and Akai for MIDI application, with no internal sounds.
Last edited by seanmichaels on 10 Feb 2019, edited 2 times in total.

MrFigg

Post 10 Feb 2019

seanmichaels wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Totally doable! Just need a MIDI to USB interface! There are super affordable ones on Amazon; Roland also makes one that's like 30 bucks. This is unless of course you already have an audio interface with MIDI in.
Cool...yeah I’ve got a midi in/out to usb cable. Got it from China for about €3. Works on my 2nd keyboard so should be fine. Great. Thanks :)

MrFigg

Post 11 Feb 2019

Well...got home, connected everything and read th SR-16 manual regarding midi. I looked at the page I’ve attached below. Set the drum pad to the corresponding key name on my keyboard/ RDK and nothing. Well, not nothing...I occasionally got a random hit. Different drums on the same pad but not every time I hit the pad. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong based on the info I’ve given here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Information