Alesis SR-16 question.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

Manny years ago when I bought my first 4-track I wanted a drum machine. The guy in the shop persuaded me I didn’t want an 808 and I should by the SR-16 instead. Man was I easily led back then.
Anyway...found it the other day still in the box and pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it. My question is...I read that RDK can map to Alesis stuff so wondered if it would work as a midi drum controller if I connect it to my PC. Might be cooler thumping on rubber pads than on plastic keys.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

09 Feb 2019

ah yes, the Alesis SR-16, my dear old friend...you kinda sucked, but that’s what was cool about you, wasn’t it? 😆

as long as you’ve got the right MIDI cables hooked up, I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t work.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

Yep. I wanted to be at the forefront of cutting edge indie-electronica and instead became a waltz-samba-metal fusion artist.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

seanmichaels

10 Feb 2019

Totally doable! Just need a MIDI to USB interface! There are super affordable ones on Amazon; Roland also makes one that's like 30 bucks. This is unless of course you already have an audio interface with MIDI in.

That being said, I don't know how well it will work with a DAW since it wasn't designed in this fashion. I'm a huge fan of NI's Maschine lineup. There's also a bunch of other options available from Roland, Korg, and Akai for MIDI application, with no internal sounds.
Last edited by seanmichaels on 10 Feb 2019, edited 2 times in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

seanmichaels wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Totally doable! Just need a MIDI to USB interface! There are super affordable ones on Amazon; Roland also makes one that's like 30 bucks. This is unless of course you already have an audio interface with MIDI in.
Cool...yeah I’ve got a midi in/out to usb cable. Got it from China for about €3. Works on my 2nd keyboard so should be fine. Great. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

Well...got home, connected everything and read th SR-16 manual regarding midi. I looked at the page I’ve attached below. Set the drum pad to the corresponding key name on my keyboard/ RDK and nothing. Well, not nothing...I occasionally got a random hit. Different drums on the same pad but not every time I hit the pad. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong based on the info I’ve given here.
Attachments
07AEAE88-A8ED-4418-ADAC-E75FA5740DE2.png
07AEAE88-A8ED-4418-ADAC-E75FA5740DE2.png (175.48 KiB) Viewed 660 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information