Moog SIRIN

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1675
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 08 Feb 2019

Moog is Alive!!!

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/sirin

Moog has announced that their new Sirin synthesizer – an updated version of the Moog Minitaur, is now available worldwide.

$599 . A Nice MIDI Buddy

Image

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2454
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 Feb 2019

I think people were complaining about the price hike for not much in exchange.

D.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2351
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 08 Feb 2019

eusti wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I think people were complaining about the price hike for not much in exchange.

D.
At this point Moog isn't really offering any innovation. People are just paying for the brand name.
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 709
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 08 Feb 2019

Sirin is a really good-looking piece of hardware design, but the actual user experience is pretty bad. I can understand keeping the number of knobs low to keep the manufacturing costs in check (even in the inflated world of Moog pricing), but if you’re going to have a shift function that changes the function of every knob on the panel… Maybe actually print those secondary functions on the panel itself?

It’s so bad that Loopop actually created a “cheat sheet” that you can print with the secondary functions listed on it. I can’t imagine why anyone would buy this thing when you can get actual one-knob-per-function synths for comparable prices (even from Moog!).
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1554
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 08 Feb 2019

Moog - the Leica of the audio world.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 118
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 08 Feb 2019

I genuinely do not understand why Moog pricing makes people so salty. There are so many options out there. If Moog isn't doin it for ya, then don't buy it. Why be mad about it? Doesn't make any sense to me. No one's forcing you to buy their products, and obviously you don't NEED to own their products to make music.

I would love to own a Buchla Music Easel. They cost around $5,000. That's well out of my wheelhouse right now (and for the foreseeable future) but that doesn't make me mad at Buchla. That would just be silly. I'm happy it exists and is out there even if I'm unable to get one right this instant.

I own 2x Sub 37s. In my opinion, Moog makes beautifully designed and crafted synths that sound amazing. I think the Sirin sounds awesome. I'd like a Moog One and definitely can't afford it. But this doesn't make me salty in the least.

It just seems hip to rip on Moog now and I really don't understand it. :|

kinkujin
Posts: 129
Joined: 01 Mar 2018

Post 08 Feb 2019

I want it. But I also want the GrandMother. Probably won't get either. sigh...

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1675
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 09 Feb 2019

I Love my Subsequent 37CV! And, like the 37cv, only 1000 Sirins will be sold in the USA, 1000 overseas.
They'll move.

Im not 100% sold on the Sirin - but Minitaur meets Taurus?... Monster! - if you've used either.
Menu diving is a pain - but

- DUAL OSC, DUAL ENV, wireless repatching - if you master SHIFT
- it takes up a 3rd of the Neureon Desk Space.
- MIDIs, USBs, and CVs
- Saves/Recalls Presets
- Reminds be of Fruity Stripes - which goes a long way in making me feel all 'warm n fuzzy;

Image
Crumbfort wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I own 2x Sub 37s.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1675
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 09 Feb 2019

Jealous much? Project much? Condescend much?
Here's a Plate.

"People are -?" Who the heck do you think you are?
"People who don't buy are just poor or cheapskates..." Does that "Sound about you??"

You really should stay in the RE section. You rarely ever have anything of substance to add otherwise.
And even then, it's all cheerleading. YAY!!
Image
aeox wrote:
08 Feb 2019
eusti wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I think people were complaining about the price hike for not much in exchange.
D.
At this point Moog isn't really offering any innovation. People are just paying for the brand name.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2351
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 09 Feb 2019

O1B wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Jealous much? Project much? Condescend much?
Here's a Plate.

"People are -?" Who the heck do you think you are?
"People who don't buy are just poor or cheapskates..." Does that "Sound about you??"

You really should stay in the RE section. You rarely ever have anything of substance to add otherwise.
And even then, it's all cheerleading. YAY!!
Image
aeox wrote:
08 Feb 2019


At this point Moog isn't really offering any innovation. People are just paying for the brand name.
What are you on about? I was replying to eusti
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1675
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 09 Feb 2019

I'd fake it if I were you , too! Reading is fundamental. It's not complicated to understand.

AEOX QUOTE:
People are just paying for the brand name.
To wit, O1B wrote:
Jealous much? Project much? Condescend much?
Here's a Plate.

"People are -?" Who the heck do you think you are?
"People who don't buy are just poor or cheapskates..." Does that "Sound about you??"

You really should stay in the RE section. You rarely ever have anything of substance to add otherwise.
And even then, it's all cheerleading. YAY!!
Get. it. now. AEOX?
aeox wrote:
09 Feb 2019
What are you on about?

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2351
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 09 Feb 2019

O1B wrote:
09 Feb 2019
I'd fake it if I were you , too! Reading is fundamental. It's not complicated to understand.

AEOX QUOTE:
People are just paying for the brand name.
To wit, O1B wrote:
Jealous much? Project much? Condescend much?
Here's a Plate.

"People are -?" Who the heck do you think you are?
"People who don't buy are just poor or cheapskates..." Does that "Sound about you??"

You really should stay in the RE section. You rarely ever have anything of substance to add otherwise.
And even then, it's all cheerleading. YAY!!
Get. it. now. AEOX?
aeox wrote:
09 Feb 2019
What are you on about?
Apologies if i hurt your feelings.

But I stand by my statement, it's the brand name you're paying the premium for.
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

kinkujin
Posts: 129
Joined: 01 Mar 2018

Post 11 Feb 2019

I agree, if I buy a Moog I would be paying for the name - a name synonomous (to me at least) with great sound, great products and a long history of innovation and top quality and durability.

If I buy a pair of shoes that look nice but are made crappily, I cannot be surprised when they wear out quickly. If I spend more for the shoes I want, they might get me through 2-3 winters around here. One of these days I'm going to buy the good shoes!

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1547
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Feb 2019

Is the Sirin not just a Minitaur with a broader range? Sounds great. Nice little synth. Hard sell for me at $1,099 here in Aus. But I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a Minitaur a few times. Likewise with the Mother 32 & DFAM. One day I'll own a Moog. But not today. I have the Moog 15 App. Does that count? It's bloody awesome in any case.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 709
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 12 Feb 2019

The Moog Model 15 app is amazing. The Moog name may be synonymous with analog hardware, but their software division is also one of the best in the industry.

Can you imagine if the two got together to build a hardware digital synth?
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1227
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 May 2019

I am very excited to have just joined the Moog club!

I mulled over this for quite a while, and at NZD $1150, this is a hefty investment for a monophonic synth!

The tweakability of the knobs on this thing is out of this world. I really hadn't appreciated just how a super smooth potentiometer could be so "more-ish" than the rotaries on other synths and control surfaces. A bit of a problem really since I can't get near the thing...

Image
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 608
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 10 May 2019

raymondh wrote:
10 May 2019
I am very excited to have just joined the Moog club!

I mulled over this for quite a while, and at NZD $1150, this is a hefty investment for a monophonic synth!

The tweakability of the knobs on this thing is out of this world. I really hadn't appreciated just how a super smooth potentiometer could be so "more-ish" than the rotaries on other synths and control surfaces. A bit of a problem really since I can't get near the thing...
Congratulations! Yeah, “the colourful synthesizer” is a big hit in my house too. And I agree, it feels great in the hands and sounds excellent. The Minitaur/Sirin are super standard in their setup, but really nail everything and are just fun to work with. Enjoy!

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1227
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 May 2019

jayhosking wrote:
10 May 2019
raymondh wrote:
10 May 2019
I am very excited to have just joined the Moog club!

I mulled over this for quite a while, and at NZD $1150, this is a hefty investment for a monophonic synth!

The tweakability of the knobs on this thing is out of this world. I really hadn't appreciated just how a super smooth potentiometer could be so "more-ish" than the rotaries on other synths and control surfaces. A bit of a problem really since I can't get near the thing...
Congratulations! Yeah, “the colourful synthesizer” is a big hit in my house too. And I agree, it feels great in the hands and sounds excellent. The Minitaur/Sirin are super standard in their setup, but really nail everything and are just fun to work with. Enjoy!
Thanks! While it is a relatively limited sound palette, it sure sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to writing a Sirin-only track, with chords etc, just like Jean-Michel Jarre used to do back in the day where he made polyphonic tracks by layering individual mono voicings. Can you imagine how painful that must have been back in the day with tape!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
MarkTarlton
Posts: 528
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Post 10 May 2019

moog is worth the investment! I picked up a sub37 and it's really fun, it's even cooler when you plug it in via usb to your computer, and use the editor and vst that it comes with. I don't feel it is overpriced at all. I will be saving my beans up for more goodies! cool video raymond :)

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1227
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
10 May 2019
moog is worth the investment! I picked up a sub37 and it's really fun, it's even cooler when you plug it in via usb to your computer, and use the editor and vst that it comes with. I don't feel it is overpriced at all. I will be saving my beans up for more goodies! cool video raymond :)
Nice one! Thanks Mark!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests