Choice Sound Modules for the (Euro)Rack

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

04 Feb 2019

It took a little time to get past Utilities and VCFs... but ... finally....

Sound Modules.
Feel free to add your faves/ thoughts/ etc/

If it's not a module, but fits in this world, bring it on.

First up! Mutable Instruments Peaks. Plenty modules to start with, but this is a Crowd Favorite:

Do-all... excuse me... DUAL
- LFO (SHAPES),
- ENV (AD/ADSR) ,
- TAP Tempo, and
- Drum Module ( Kick, Snare, Tom, Hat - Pick 2.. or build a Kit) Tough to beat in 8HP

Take it away, DivKid! Easy Instructions...

O1B

05 Feb 2019

Noise Engineering - Basimilus Iteritas

I'll keep it going with "Percussive" modules. I went with another option for now - but, I do want one.
No more "Thuds!" Only Tuned, precisely "Pitched" Percussion. Love "dissonance." Loathe "out of tune."

Specs: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/ba ... itas-alter
- "a simple six-oscillator additive synthesizer with adjustable waveform, harmonic spread and decay. "
- "Adjustable attack including a noise oscillator is also included. "
- "These are summed and fed into an infinifolder for crunch and variety."
" Basimilus Iteritas Alter is an improved version of the discontinued Basimilus Iteritas." BIA is
- 2HP smaller,
- includes CV of switches,
- adds an third mode, and pitch range and knobs NOW offset rather than attenuate. (Sadly, a "new concept") :shock: :roll:

But, it sounds Proper.

O1B

02 Mar 2019

The Harvertman Piston Honda:

- Dual wavetable oscillator
- Preset manager
- Integrated oscilloscope display; selectable for either oscillator
- 128x32 OLED display provides indication of frequency, current preset, and wave selection
- Voltage-controlled preset manager with space for 8 presets
- Three banks of 8 16-bit waveforms
- Menu editing executable via rotary encoder
- Osc 2's frequency controls can be slaved to Osc 1
- Each oscillator features a slaved unison detune oscillator
- FM input of each oscillator doubles as audio input for nonlinear waveshaper
- Waveform banks consist of additive harmonic formations, LFSR progressions, and waveforms derrived from renowned synthesizers
- Micro-SD slot on front panel for loading custom waveforms

Crumbfort

02 Mar 2019

Pittsburgh Modular Primary Oscillator

True analog innovation, the Lifeforms Primary Oscillator was designed to stretch the boundaries of pure sonic sculpting. The Primary Oscillator uses unique cascading waveform processing to create increasingly complex, fully modulatable waveforms. Through the use of multiple interwoven waveshapers, a simple waveform can quickly mutate into something deeply dynamic and harmonically rich.

Custom waveshapers include a harmonic sine wave; a sine processed to add just enough harmonics to give a resonant filter something to dig into. Next, the included blade wave processor is an evolution of our custom modulation circuit, creating modulatable ramp and pulse waves. The fragments generator is an analog downsampler capable of crushing waveforms to dust without ever sounding thin or cold. Also included, the timbre wave folder enables deep spectral change by repeatedly folding the waveform in on itself until the original waveform is unrecognizable.

The Primary Oscillator is not meant to be a clean oscillator that produces perfect waveforms. Controlled signal interactions and the unique set of cascading waveshapers at the heart of the Primary Oscillator allow for a uniquely musical approach to experimenting with a wide array of interesting sounds. Instead of relying only on the standard set of simple wave shapes, the Primary Oscillator builds on the basics to offer a powerful palate of infinitely variable waveforms. No other analog oscillator offers such a creative and deep set of audio processing tools.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Crumbfort

02 Mar 2019

Mannequins Mangrove

MANGROVE
Formant Oscillator for instrumental spectrum shaping

Mangrove holds the essence of an instrument in the form of an oscillator. Sounds are defined not only by pitch but by spectra. As the earth shakes under foot, a whistle blows on the wind.

FORMANT represents the timbral structure of the instrument, defined independent of its pitch. Waves shift across the range, bringing to life a series of undertones. There is quicksand between these divisions – tiny moments of uncertainty – where multiphonics reside. These underbranches fold melodies onto themselves far down into microtones.

Frequency modulation feels altogether different, with a pair making the most corporeal of complex oscillators. With integral FM indexing, a cross-modulated duo will unleash a snarling Bunyip. With SYNChronicity they will sing the same tongue through their own voice. Self-patched tones open another box of uncertainty. Divided FORMANTS to control frequency; shapeless SQUARES modulating AIR pressure.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Catblack

03 Mar 2019

I am going to build two MI peaks and two MI ripples for my eurorack. Got the pcbs v cheap, ordering parts later today. I figure if I'm building one, I might as well do another right beside it.

I'll look over my spreadsheet later for modules off my wish list.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

O1B

04 Mar 2019

If you haven't built a Peaks, I'd recommend reading up on those Tap Tempo Buttons.
They are not the easiest 'things' to DIY correctly.
The DIY model I bought was trash. the TAP buttons fell off. Quabbidy-Assuance.

Genuine MI Peaks.... $150.
Catblack wrote:
03 Mar 2019
I am going to build two MI peaks and two MI ripples for my eurorack. Got the pcbs v cheap, ordering parts later today. I figure if I'm building one, I might as well do another right beside it.

Catblack

04 Mar 2019

Well that's the difference in our philosophy. I'd prefer to spend that money on parts, at least this month, probably next month, too. Or I'll buy used. Maybe in a month I'll know if I suck as a builder or not. But I've got 7 boards slated for this month, and at least 8 more next month. I'm loving the builder community so far. Already planning on building a much bigger rack by May.

But thanks for the advice. I'm sourcing my parts very carefully.
O1B wrote:
04 Mar 2019
If you haven't built a Peaks, I'd recommend reading up on those Tap Tempo Buttons.

Catblack wrote:
03 Mar 2019

Damn.

Catblack

04 Mar 2019

Going back to the subject of this thread:

Ginko Synthese - Sample Slicer mk2

I wish the Neutron rack extension did this.

Damn.

Catblack

04 Mar 2019

And also this one:

Neutron Sound - Orgone Accumulator

Damn.

O1B

04 Mar 2019

Maybe there's a difference in our philo. I dunno. Let me know when you start.
I like the idea of Building. I also understand what it means to do something like this - the first time.

I bought someone's 'first time' Peaks. I sent it back. Just a little FYI to you, on your road to Building.
Like I said, a TAP TEMPO knob is something to ask about in the 'community.'

You're welcome. And, I am interested in how well it comes out.

I'm Diggin' that Orgone mod, btw.

Catblack wrote:
04 Mar 2019
Well that's the difference in our philosophy. I'd prefer to spend that money on parts, at least this month, probably next month, too. Or I'll buy used. Maybe in a month I'll know if I suck as a builder or not. But I've got 7 boards slated for this month, and at least 8 more next month. I'm loving the builder community so far. Already planning on building a much bigger rack by May.

But thanks for the advice. I'm sourcing my parts very carefully.
O1B wrote:
04 Mar 2019

O1B

07 Mar 2019

Instruo... the Cs-L....

What a fantastic design.

Sawtooth core voltage controlled oscillator (Oscillator A - Top)
Waveforms: Sine, Triangle, Sawtooth, Pulse, wavefold final
Triangle core voltage controlled oscillator (Oscillator B - Bottom)
Waveforms: Sine, Triangle, Square/Sub, double pulse, wavefold final
1V/octave, Coarse and Fine pitch controls per oscillator
Frequency modulation input per oscillator, linear or exponential response, with attenuators

O1B

02 May 2019

4ms SWN Spherical Wavetable Navigator

The Spherical Wavetable Navigator (SWN) is
- a six-channel synthesizer that
- makes it easy to create slowly morphing drones, polyphonic melodies, evolving sequences, and rich textures.

The SWN features six wavetable oscillators with
- independent pitch, level, and waveform controls.

Six LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) can be used as modulation sources and/or envelopes, making it easy to add dynamic motion to your patch.

Each channel is a full voice and can be “played” using the top row of buttons, the internal LFOs, or note-change detection on the 1V/oct jacks.

26HP, $600

The SWN ships with 12 three-dimensional (spherical) wavetables and an easy interface which allows you to record and edit custom wavetables from live audio. Open-source software for Mac, Windows, and Linux called SphereEdit can be freely downloaded and allows you computer to create, edit, and convert .wav files into Spherical wavetables to transfer into the SWN with an audio cable.

O1B

08 May 2019

A Utility and a Sound Engine.

Polyphony is back!

28HP
to 14 HP

Polyphonic oscillator
Intelligent tuning system
Independent output per voice + mix output(5 in total)
Eight banks of waveforms
SD card included
Wavetables compatible with WaveEdit software by Synthesis Technology
Aluminum Front Panel

Out now!!

O1B

28 May 2019

Erica Synth Sample DRUM

Audio output amplitude 10Vptp
Octave range C0 – C8
RAM size 32Mb, 5 minutes of samples
Sample rate 48kHz, 16bit
Sample recording rate 48kHz, 12bit
CV input range (configurable) 5V - +5V
Panel width 14HP
Panel width 30mm
Power consumption 65mA@+12V, 2mA@-12V

O1B

28 May 2019

Is this in your arsenal? Holy cow? Really Nice and straightforward.
Scooper and Phonogene Killer, it seems - for straightforward sample use.

Catblack wrote:
04 Mar 2019
Ginko Synthese - Sample Slicer mk2

I wish the Neutron rack extension did this.

O1B

31 May 2019

Tip TOP Audio done changed up their drums... fyi..

Introducing the BD808, part of our new series of drum modules that brings analog percussion into the modular synth world, instantly turning your system into a self-contained music machine.

http://tiptopaudio.com/808-2/#bd808

O1B

12 Jun 2019

Cwejman VM-1 MK2

I'll post real images when they arrive.

Complete Voice

VCOscillation, Morphing Filtration, 2 Modulation Sources, - Im not seeing any AMP Control.
Yes, to the Morphing Filter.

What the Real Module may look like..

O1B

16 Jun 2019

Cwejman RG-6

Great Sample andHold Module.. and the Sound of the module is Superb.

Catblack

21 Sep 2019

Just got mine working yesterday!

4MS has released the designs like they did for the SMR. So there's a group on FB who arranged to do the SMR together, and then the SWN. So It took a couple of months for everything to reach me, but now I've got it all put together and it runs wonderfully!

It's going to take weeks to figure it out. It's even more complicated than the SMR.

O1B wrote:
02 May 2019

- makes it easy to create slowly morphing drones, polyphonic melodies, evolving sequences, and rich textures.

Six LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) can be used as modulation sources and/or envelopes, making it easy to add dynamic motion to your patch.

Each channel is a full voice and can be “played” using the top row of buttons, the internal LFOs, or note-change detection on the 1V/oct jacks.

26HP, $600

The SWN ships with 12 three-dimensional (spherical) wavetables and an easy interface which allows you to record and edit custom wavetables from live audio. Open-source software for Mac, Windows, and Linux called SphereEdit can be freely downloaded and allows you computer to create, edit, and convert .wav files into Spherical wavetables to transfer into the SWN with an audio cable.

Damn.

O1B

24 Sep 2019

YOU Lucky son of a-! I haven't made the leap, but I am committed to 4ms.

That looks like a brilliant module. If you have any links to good videos, I'd appreciate it. Im not on FB.
I have the Piston Honda MKiii but, this SWN is a before christmas - must. It looks to be holding it's value, too. no deals.

"The Spherical Wavetable Navigator (SWN) is a six-channel synthesizer that makes it easy to create slowly morphing drones"

Yes, please...!

What's your CV sources for the SWN? It seems to need a lot of FEEDS. I recommend MATHS and PEG.
I NEEED a second of BOTH. BEASTS!

What do you use? why? if you have a sec. I'm interested.

Catblack wrote:
21 Sep 2019

4MS has released the designs like they did for the SMR. So there's a group on FB who arranged to do the SMR together, and then the SWN. So It took a couple of months for everything to reach me, but now I've got it all put together and it runs wonderfully!

It's going to take weeks to figure it out. It's even more complicated than the SMR.

O1B wrote:
02 May 2019

26HP, $600

Catblack

24 Sep 2019

I've got a Sin Phi Miasma I built a couple of months ago. It's a DIY extended version of the Befaco Rampage. Though I mounted ultra bright blue LEDs on it way too high so it's a bit blinding to use, but it's just amazing. It was a fun build, though it took forever to get all the resistors gathered together. (Lots of values different from the Mutable boards.) Anyhow, the Miasma is a function generator.

I'll probably build another in a few months and really pay attention to the pots and switches I put on it. The ones I used, the pots are a bit stiff, and the switches aren't as beefy as I'd like. (I've got to get ahold of the switches that Divkid uses for his Mutes module.)

The SWN is just head swimmingly complex. I mean it's got so many buried functions... that whole LFO section is worth it alone. I haven't even loaded the wavetable spheres I've created yet. Of course my DIY version has a custom panel, andd we (the SMR/SWN builder group) tweaked the PCB to be able to use a standard size on the light buttons so we didn't have to source two parts for them. It was hard enough to figure out just which buttons they were, let alone to source... from the factory. Which meant also we had to make our own panels, and they aren't straight copies of the 4ms panels. Though I have a spare panel and I may modify it to be a little easier to understand. Those RGB encoders are straight up future tech.

My favorite thing to do with the SMR is to cycle through scales til I find something I like, then lock a few of the buttons and then modulate the middle rotate CV. So you get a drone with an arp on top. I haven't quite found the sweet spot for patching the SMR to the SWN yet. The SMR has a sound to it for sure.

Yeah I'm totally into the DIY thing. I got about 90% on two uO_C boards last night -- and I've already built a uTemps and a uO_C... I just want to have three uO_Cs! I've also built Ripples, Peaks (and Piques!), Swirls/Lamb, a Per|Former, and I've got about 20 PCBs ready for building in the next few months. I've already DIY'd a small case, but I'm going to build a bigger one. I'll have to to keep up with the builds I have planned!

I do have to say that getting into the group build of the SMR was like the brass ring. I put all my part buying on hold for a month to afford it. And having all the folks doing it at the same time, and troubleshooting the same hw we've sourced... with 4ms' blessing has been amazing. If you do end up buying a 4ms built SMR or SWN, you are getting a well designed sports car for sure.

O1B wrote:
24 Sep 2019

That looks like a brilliant module. If you have any links to good videos, I'd appreciate it. Im not on FB.
I have the Piston Honda MKiii but, this SWN is a before christmas - must. It looks to be holding it's value, too. no deals.

"The Spherical Wavetable Navigator (SWN) is a six-channel synthesizer that makes it easy to create slowly morphing drones"

Yes, please...!

What's your CV sources for the SWN? It seems to need a lot of FEEDS. I recommend MATHS and PEG.
I NEEED a second of BOTH. BEASTS!

What do you use? why? if you have a sec. I'm interested.

Catblack wrote:
21 Sep 2019

Damn.

O1B

26 Sep 2019

I read your post yesterday and immediately went out in search of that module. Sin Phi. WOW!!!
Thanks for the INFO. By November, I will acquire one. The SWM, that is. I'll pace myself on finding a Sin Phi.

Much RESPECT on the Build. I think you wrote that you were a builder a while back.
If I doubted your skill - not anymore. Nice job on the Sin Phi.

I hear it gets easier after the first one.

I want to try, and I HOPE HOPE HOPE to attend the MOOG BUILD next year.
Soldering first. soldering first.
Catblack wrote:
24 Sep 2019
I've got a Sin Phi Miasma I built a couple of months ago. It's a DIY extended version of the Befaco Rampage. Though I mounted ultra bright blue LEDs on it way too high so it's a bit blinding to use, but it's just amazing. It was a fun build, though it took forever to get all the resistors gathered together. (Lots of values different from the Mutable boards.) Anyhow, the Miasma is a function generator.

I'll probably build another in a few months and really pay attention to the pots and switches I put on it. ....

I do have to say that getting into the group build of the SMR was like the brass ring. I put all my part buying on hold for a month to afford it. And having all the folks doing it at the same time, and troubleshooting the same hw we've sourced... with 4ms' blessing has been amazing. If you do end up buying a 4ms built SMR or SWN, you are getting a well designed sports car for sure.

O1B wrote:
24 Sep 2019

O1B

02 Oct 2019

Mutable Instruments BRAIDS... Synthesis Models Series #35

Catblack

02 Oct 2019

O1B wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Mutable Instruments BRAIDS... Synthesis Models Series #35

I've been considering building a UBraids 2. Though those redesigns get really dense and hard to build. And also I'm liking the less crowded layouts on the original models.

(I've got several Piques to finish, they are so dense! But then I'm going to build some Shades, Veils and Blinds next. I'm building a case too so I really don't need to worry about HP.)

It's nice to play with Braids in VCV though!

Damn.

• Information