Behringer Crave

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Resonator

27 Jan 2019

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Jan 2019

I was really hoping the Neutron wouldn't be the last breakthrough-price modular from Behringer, so this is really cool to see. I love that they're starting to show the real benefits from the clone game (apart from selling boatloads of clones): Interesting combinations of vintage-style components in all-new instruments, like this 3340 oscillator with a ladder filter. And for $200? I'm glad IK Multimedia at least had a few months to sell the Uno before this completely owns the price point.

O1B

28 Jan 2019

Wow! When does this "Keystep Plus" come out?

chimp_spanner

28 Jan 2019

As I've said elsewhere, this looks cool in as much as it's cheap, ticks the "analogue" and "semi modular" boxes, and the sequencer transposition is useful, although not at all revolutionary if you've used something like a Bass Station II. But I think I'd have a hard time justifying it, even at £150, when you consider what that would get you in plugin terms. It's a single osc/lfo/env subtractive Synth. Hell, Subtractor can do more. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges/hardware to software unfairly but that's just how I feel about it.

As part of a modular system it might be good, and it does certainly look and sound the part. But I'm starting to feel like a lot of manufacturers are cashing in on the analogue mojo effect. Like yeah, it's a sawtooth but it's an analogue sawtooth! AND THERE ARE CABLES.

O1B

28 Jan 2019

For those REASONS you stated, and after watching that video: I want ONE.

I can't make out the Synth yet but, $200 for a mini-modular-capable Step Seq (w/OSC and Utes) ... vs..

I will be pre-ordering ASAP.

.. just found a still ... ill give it a study - but it looks like a nice bunch of utilities.

- who needs an - or - another LFO?! - until you just NEED an LFO right then.
Who needs another Envelope. Filter. Mixer. Step Sequencer. LFO. Oscillator. Keyboard. Banks. MIDI/USB Controller... in one Box?

me.
chimp_spanner wrote:
28 Jan 2019
As I've said elsewhere, this looks cool in as much as it's cheap, ticks the "analogue" and "semi modular" boxes, and the sequencer transposition is useful, although not at all revolutionary if you've used something like a Bass Station II. But I think I'd have a hard time justifying it, even at £150, when you consider what that would get you in plugin terms. It's a single osc/lfo/env subtractive Synth. Hell, Subtractor can do more. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges/hardware to software unfairly but that's just how I feel about it.

As part of a modular system it might be good, and it does certainly look and sound the part. But I'm starting to feel like a lot of manufacturers are cashing in on the analogue mojo effect. Like yeah, it's a sawtooth but it's an analogue sawtooth! AND THERE ARE CABLES.
Last edited by O1B on 28 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

28 Jan 2019

Introducing the Behringer CRAVE...

and, for JoeyLuck....

PhillipOrdonez

28 Jan 2019

It sounds too trancey for my taste though.

Would you recommend this as a entry level device to hardware for somebody who is experienced but has zero hardware?

I am also eyeing the volca FM, the po33, or the elektron model:samples. Different beasts, I know. But all sort of affordable and seemingly capable. What to do?

O1B

28 Jan 2019

Would you recommend this as a entry level device
I've never used one, but if I was 'modular' and ITB, and using Hardware, this is a nice Synth/utility Bridge.
I have no plans to make this my "Synth"

But, it's a Nice 'field kit".

Every kid should have one.

- wait - THIS JUST IN!
or the elektron model:samples
HELLO!!!

Oh, Lord. TAP. Stereo. W O W.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Jan 2019
It sounds too trancey for my taste though.

Would you recommend this as a entry level device to hardware for somebody who is experienced but has zero hardware?

I am also eyeing the volca FM, the po33, or the elektron model:samples. Different beasts, I know. But all sort of affordable and seemingly capable. What to do?

Resonator

29 Jan 2019

Trancy??? lol
You can’t go by what you hear on a demo. You can use it for whatever you like.
This is a great synth for beginners and more advanced users. So when it hits the stores, give it a try.

Elektron Model Samples???
Too bad it doesn’t actually sample.

Faastwalker

30 Jan 2019

It's quite a simple looking device. The patch points make it a lot more interesting. It does almost look a bit like a semi-modular TB303. I was watching Molten modular live & there was an expectation Behringer were going to be announcing a TB-303 clone. Then the Crave announcement came. Not sure if the 303 clone was widely expected. The Crave looks like a good 303 like device all the same.

I just wonder who does Behringer's product design? The clones obviously don't apply here. But the design of the original products is all over the place. The Deep Mind, Neutron & Crave. They couldn't look more different. The crave is a very plain looking device, less for the orange livery. Compare that to the striking red with some of the worst graphic touches I've ever seen on, anything actually, of the Neutron.

cognitive

31 Jan 2019

I have two Novation Circuits for live, but now I kind of want a Crave AND a Model:Samples to add to my setup.

• Information