NAMM 2019 McDSP’s awesome APB-16

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
miscend

27 Jan 2019

This is the most impressive thing I’ve seen at NAMM by McDSP a rack extension developer. It’s a 16 channel fully programmable analogue processing box. Basically a box of analogue circuits that can be configured into EQs, Comps, limiters, saturators controlled by a VST plugin with presets, recall, sample accurate automation etc etc. Basically Collin took the way his algorithms are coded in blocks and made them in to discrete circuits. The box has D/A and A/D but does all the processing in the analog domain - no computer, no DSP. It connects via thunderbolt and can be daisy chained for up to 96 channels.

QVprod

29 Jan 2019

Depending on how many processors you can have in a chain per channel this might be pretty revolutionary. Interested to see how deep this goes.

Marco Raaphorst

29 Jan 2019

so McDSP says analog is better?

O1B

29 Jan 2019

I like McDSP.

I like Green.
I like those specs...

2019 is 'bout to take you for an spin!
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Jan 2019
so McDSP says analog is better?

selig
RE Developer

29 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:so McDSP says analog is better?
Maybe Colin (love him!) is saying that many of his customers want analog and he has found a way to give it to them in a format that has a digital (recall, automation, etc.) workflow.

Or maybe he is saying digital sucks and he’s made a terrible mistake all these years.

Or maybe he’s not saying anything at all, just building cool new stuff. Because he can. Or because he’s bored building “software only” solutions. Or because he has run out of ideas for new plugins.

Who knows…. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Jan 2019

It's just peculiar seeing an analog device come out from a company with, you know, "DSP" in its name!

I wonder, though, if we'll see a digital counterpart to this later, based on ELK.

Crumbfort

29 Jan 2019

Looks very cool. I'd be even MORE interested if it wasn't thunderbolt only (unless I missed something?).
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

• Information