Arturia MicroFreak

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 621
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 24 Jan 2019

There have been some pretty cool announcements so far at NAMM, but this new Arturia digital synth is far and away the wildest thing yet: https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/24/art ... tal-synth/
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1384
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jan 2019

Cool Love the keyboard. Nice to see something done a bit differently. Paraphonic with polyphonic aftertouch, velocity. some very cool features in a small package. I have not seen a price yet though.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 130
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 25 Jan 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Jan 2019
Cool Love the keyboard. Nice to see something done a bit differently. Paraphonic with polyphonic aftertouch, velocity. some very cool features in a small package. I have not seen a price yet though.
Engadget article says $349
Reason 10 :reason: Teenage Engineering PO-33 :reason: M-Audio Venom

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 393
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 25 Jan 2019


User avatar
diminished
Posts: 130
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 25 Jan 2019

Funnily enough, this digital "techy" sound is what everyone was criticizing about the M-Audio Venom, which went for $200ish. Back then everyone was screaming for "analog warmth", I guess that demand is satisfied now.

Agreed, they are different beasts with different feature sets and that Vyzex Venom software you have to use is awful, but if you are looking for that sound minus the granular bits plus a real keyboard with more keys at a cheaper price, take a look at the Venom.
Reason 10 :reason: Teenage Engineering PO-33 :reason: M-Audio Venom

EdGrip
Posts: 1354
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 25 Jan 2019

Endgadget gives no option to opt out of cookies, so no. #hardliner

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jan 2019

There:

- Paraphonic "Switch"
- Looping ENV
- Dual ENV with ADSR knobs
- Filter
- Making/Saving Presets

- USB, MIDI, CV and CLOCK I/O

Absent/Cons:

- Tune (Master)
- TAP ^$*&%!! Tempo
- Mod? Pitch/etc...
- "Endless" Orange knobs in the OSC Section. Sucks beings Lost for a sec sometimes... maybe I'll be surprised.

Image

Tough to get this over a Bass Station II. We'll see....

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5814
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jan 2019

No battery option again?

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 25 Jan 2019

So... I never do this for music gear, but I pre-ordered this. It just looks so dang fun. I have a Keystep and a Beatstep Pro and I love both. Looking forward to this one!

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 621
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 25 Jan 2019

Peter Kirn has a good overview: http://cdm.link/2019/01/arturia-microfreak/
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
demt
Posts: 793
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 26 Jan 2019

seems a step forward
neutron; tb3; triggerfingerpro;3korg volca keys fm drums; kaos pad 3;zaquencer; akai mpk mini;2 zmx mixers; midiplus interface;16 channel behringer umc 1820 with ada8200 soundcard, arturia drumbrute.nektar p1,
hear scince reason 2.5

Resonator
Posts: 279
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: New York

Post 26 Jan 2019

Seems like a great product for the money. But Arturia is gonna have to wait in line while I plan on buying the Behringer Pro-1, Odyssey, and the MS-101 before anything else. But anyway, I’m glad that the Micro Freak is in the same price range. It’s really good to see a good amount of synths in the $300 price range to compete with others that have turned into lifestyle brands over the years with little to offer **cough cough** Moog Sirin ** cough cough ** Moog Grandmother ** cough cough **.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

Please, tell me there is a MIDI protocol for JUST a 1/8 to 1/8 cable. Or, do I still need the DIN MIDI in the middle?

That would make this a Killer Module.
The Keystep form factor is more module friendly - and I do wish this was "Longer" rather than "Deeper", but -

Image- Arturia's "sound" has been well-developed, IMO, so there's that...
- MIDI, CV (CV, Gate, and Pressure), and Clock I/O... - and USB...!

This is what I wanted from a Volca/Boutique - I think.
Sold.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5814
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Please, tell me there is a MIDI protocol for JUST a 1/8 to 1/8 cable. Or, do I still need the DIN MIDI in the middle?

That would make this a Killer Module.
The Keystep form factor is more module friendly - and I do wish this was "Longer" rather than "Deeper", but -

Image- Arturia's "sound" has been well-developed, IMO, so there's that...
- MIDI, CV (CV, Gate, and Pressure), and Clock I/O... - and USB...!

This is what I wanted from a Volca/Boutique - I think.
Sold.
I still can't get past the fact that they've delivered yet another tiny synth that can't be battery powered. Before with previous synths, they told folks they ran into challenges with the power consumption of their analog gear. But this one is digital... What's the point of portability for something that can't be used on the go?

I did see someone say you can power it with a USB power brick...if you don't mind doing that.
So for me, all the other gadgets from Korg and TE win over this.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 621
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 27 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019
I did see someone say you can power it with a USB power brick...if you don't mind doing that.
That's a big plus, and I would argue better than supporting a handful of AA batteries. It's somewhat annoying to me to have to keep track of the batteries in my Circuit and Monologue, and I don't understand how they both have USB ports but can't run off USB power. A single, rechargeable USB power brick with a few ports on it would be much better than having to swap out a bunch of little cylinders at various intervals.

(Actually, as for why they don't use USB power, I think I read somewhere that you can get more peak current draw from 4-6 AA batteries than you can over standard USB, although that should be changing with the adoption of USB-PD.)
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5814
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

fieldframe wrote:
27 Jan 2019
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019
I did see someone say you can power it with a USB power brick...if you don't mind doing that.
That's a big plus, and I would argue better than supporting a handful of AA batteries. It's somewhat annoying to me to have to keep track of the batteries in my Circuit and Monologue, and I don't understand how they both have USB ports but can't run off USB power. A single, rechargeable USB power brick with a few ports on it would be much better than having to swap out a bunch of little cylinders at various intervals.

(Actually, as for why they don't use USB power, I think I read somewhere that you can get more peak current draw from 4-6 AA batteries than you can over standard USB, although that should be changing with the adoption of USB-PD.)
Yeah it's better than nothing. It would just be like a giant dongle I guess. It is a nice option, but I think it would be better as an option in addition to batteries; like you mention with the other gear.

But as soon as I start thinking 'tether this'...I'm thinking, I have a laptop that can run very complex digital synths...I can plug it in to power, I can run it off of its battery all day, I can use it with a cabled controller, a Bluetooth controller, audio interface, etc. And then I'm thinking...Arturia should just make this as a plugin so I can use it more easily on the go lol. I know this offers an analog filter, but aside from that...

and to your point about AAs...I mean, battery tech has advanced so much, it's not like a built-in or removable lithium ion is out of the question.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1384
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

I’ve heard on several video demos that this can be powered over USB, so that’s cool. Battery option would be good for full portability. But I’d imagine a device like this would chomp through battery faster than an iPhone!

I’m stoked for this though. My favourite thing of NAMM so far. I love the keyboard, digital oscillator for something a bit different, the sequencer, bend strip, modulation matrix etc. it just looks like a lot of fun, is cheap and small.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 621
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 27 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019
and to your point about AAs...I mean, battery tech has advanced so much, it's not like a built-in or removable lithium ion is out of the question.
Definitely agree on this point. While adding a Li-ion pack would increase the manufacturing cost, here's what I'd like to see: Ship something like the Monologue with a charging circuit and a spacer, and sell the battery separately (I suppose in the Monologue's case, this would mean actually shipping with an AC charger :?). This way, you still hit the lower price point, but customers can "upgrade" to a built-in, rechargeable battery any time.
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

tiny synth
- how small can sit be? Volcas and Boutiques are not 'useable' live. Let's not kid ourselves.
The Arturia DrumBrute IMPACT is right around the sweet spot.
can't be battery powered
- It has an ANALOG FILTER. How many battery-operated synths w an/ANALOG filter do you know of??
point of portability
The MicroFreak is LIGHT. It's as Light as they come.
ADSR...? 2? Synth Engines? Polyphonic 1 - 4? Step and ARP? Connectivity? (Pressure?)
Horses for Courses....
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019
I still can't get past the fact that they've delivered yet another tiny synth that can't be battery powered. Before with previous synths, they told folks they ran into challenges with the power consumption of their analog gear. But this one is digital... What's the point of portability for something that can't be used on the go?

I did see someone say you can power it with a USB power brick...if you don't mind doing that.
So for me, all the other gadgets from Korg and TE win over this.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5814
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2019
- It has an ANALOG FILTER. How many battery-operated synths w an/ANALOG filter do you know of??
Well you mention Korg stuff, so not sure how you could overlook it by asking this question.

- Even the Monotrons have analog filters.
- The Volca series, which are very usable live.
- Another which is mentioned in this thread is the Monologue
And that's just stuff from Korg...
Even IK Multimedia's first analog synth, Uno, can run on batteries.

But again, MicroFreak is a digital synth with just an analog filter.
So it's completely feasible. And makes perfect sense to do with portable synths. My guess for the reason they do it is because Arturia is primarily a software company and they want you tethered nearby to other Arturia products...

User avatar
emilng
Posts: 91
Joined: 03 Oct 2017

Post 28 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Please, tell me there is a MIDI protocol for JUST a 1/8 to 1/8 cable. Or, do I still need the DIN MIDI in the middle?
Arturia, Novation, 1010music, Pittsburgh Modular, and a few others use the Type B 1/8 midi format so you can get away with connecting their 1/8 mid jacks without converting back to DIN.

Korg, Make Noise and a few others use the Type A format so you would have to convert back to DIN when you're connecting between Type A and Type B 1/8 inch jack devices.

The new midi mini-jack standard follows Korg/Make Noise wiring but uses a 2.5mm jack so won't be compatible with any of the current 1/8 jack formats.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2019

A Monotron is on your list ?? Word??
Monotron? You're joking, i hope. AND, LIVE? :lol: :lol: Is that really in this convo?
Image

I think that 'you think' that Volcas and Elektrons are competitors. Have at it.
Volcas...? Yep. I wouldnt want to name a SPECIFIC one either, if I were you.
And, Live... ? By who? Frodo Baggins? :lol: :lol:

that leaves.....

Monologue,..... one.
IK 2019... counting something you can't name, Dude?

You named One.
Thank you.

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2019
- It has an ANALOG FILTER. How many battery-operated synths w an/ANALOG filter do you know of??
Well you mention Korg stuff, so not sure how you could overlook it by asking this question.

- Even the Monotrons have analog filters.
- The Volca series, which are very usable live.
- Another which is mentioned in this thread is the Monologue
And that's just stuff from Korg...
Even IK Multimedia's first analog synth, Uno, can run on batteries.

But again, MicroFreak is a digital synth with just an analog filter.
So it's completely feasible. And makes perfect sense to do with portable synths. My guess for the reason they do it is because Arturia is primarily a software company and they want you tethered nearby to other Arturia products...
Last edited by O1B on 28 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2019

Boom! Thank you!!

One to Grow on.
emilng wrote:
28 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2019
Please, tell me there is a MIDI protocol for JUST a 1/8 to 1/8 cable. Or, do I still need the DIN MIDI in the middle?
Arturia, Novation, 1010music, Pittsburgh Modular, and a few others use the Type B 1/8 midi format so you can get away with connecting their 1/8 mid jacks without converting back to DIN.

Korg, Make Noise and a few others use the Type A format so you would have to convert back to DIN when you're connecting between Type A and Type B 1/8 inch jack devices.

The new midi mini-jack standard follows Korg/Make Noise wiring but uses a 2.5mm jack so won't be compatible with any of the current 1/8 jack formats.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 5814
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2019

You asked about battery operated synths with just an analog filter. I named just few that have more than that, to answer your question. You act like incorporating anything with any level of analog means making battery power an option not feasible. Is that the point you were trying to make?

I mentioned using the Volcas live, not the Monotrons. But sure, you can use the Monotrons live as well. But if you need me to name a Volca, I use the Volca Bass. You can use it on the go with with batteries and the built-in ribbon-style keyboard and great sequencer...Or in a live setting you can hookup a MIDI keyboard if you want to.

I did name the IK Multimedia one, it's called Uno Synth ;)

Wasn't trying to name all of them out there, but I clearly named several.
O1B wrote:
28 Jan 2019
A Monotron is on your list ?? Word??
Monotron? You're joking, i hope. AND, LIVE? :lol: :lol: Is that really in this convo?
Image

I think that 'you think' that Volcas and Elektrons are competitors. Have at it.
Volcas...? Yep. I wouldnt want to name a SPECIFIC one either, if I were you.
And, Live... ? By who? Frodo Baggins? :lol: :lol:

that leaves.....

Monologue,..... one.
IK 2019... counting something you can't name, Dude?

You named One.
Thank you.

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2019


Well you mention Korg stuff, so not sure how you could overlook it by asking this question.

- Even the Monotrons have analog filters.
- The Volca series, which are very usable live.
- Another which is mentioned in this thread is the Monologue
And that's just stuff from Korg...
Even IK Multimedia's first analog synth, Uno, can run on batteries.

But again, MicroFreak is a digital synth with just an analog filter.
So it's completely feasible. And makes perfect sense to do with portable synths. My guess for the reason they do it is because Arturia is primarily a software company and they want you tethered nearby to other Arturia products...

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1315
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2019

I'd sure like to see video of "Live" use of a Volca - or a monotron, for that matter. That''d be fun!

YES, to..
You act like incorporating anything with any level of analog means making battery power an option not feasible. Is that the point you were trying to make?
and, there's a 16 pages about the Noise issues with the UNO, so: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... th-15.html

Analog (Filter) w/Batteries ain't Easy.

Im not trying to Prove you wrong. ... just Offering some Reality. (Volca "Live", pls... You show me.)
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2019
You asked about battery operated synths with just an analog filter. I named just few that have more than that, to answer your question. You act like incorporating anything with any level of analog means making battery power an option not feasible. Is that the point you were trying to make?

I mentioned using the Volcas live, not the Monotrons. But sure, you can use the Monotrons live as well. But if you need me to name a Volca, I use the Volca Bass. You can use it on the go with with batteries and the built-in ribbon-style keyboard and great sequencer...Or in a live setting you can hookup a MIDI keyboard if you want to.

I did name the IK Multimedia one, it's called Uno Synth ;)

Wasn't trying to name all of them out there, but I clearly named several.


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests