New Korg Volcas

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
BRIGGS

15 Jan 2019

Both of them seem like a lot of fun!!! :puf_smile:

r11s

jayhosking

15 Jan 2019

That Volca Modular is a really cool little unit, and maybe the right buy-in and size for me to want to try out west-coast-style synthesis in hardware. Honestly, it's less daunting than Complex-1, even!

madmacman

15 Jan 2019

jayhosking wrote:
15 Jan 2019
That Volca Modular is a really cool little unit, and maybe the right buy-in and size for me to want to try out west-coast-style synthesis in hardware. Honestly, it's less daunting than Complex-1, even!
Honestly: I don't like the tiny breadboard-style jumper wires for patching. For west-coast at entry level I would recommend the Makenoise 0-coast. For a higher price tag, I must admit.

O1B

15 Jan 2019

Kick-Ass Step Sequencer. Bar none.
But, the rigid tuning of the past Volcas was claustraphobic.
And, midi... IN? YES. OUT??? NO.

The Price at $170-200 is .... Right.

Those skinny 'pin-cable' things are horrible. Schitty wires.. Schitty transport chain...
but, 50 patch points.. and ... $200.

I want that Step Sequencer back, though... and, ...
Pitch AND Tune on the Volca ... DRUM.
MicroTUNE is on the Modular.

I'll take the Drum. KORG knows Drums. and that SCREEN!
and, Battery-powered access to waves... a Compact modulation source with RATIOS.... Yes, Please!

I'm in! At worse - it's a better Volca KEYS and KICK. very usuable tools.

- Anybody have a line on 1/8in to 'pin-cables'?

kinkujin

15 Jan 2019

"- Anybody have a line on 1/8in to 'pin-cables'?"

Exactly what I was wondering. This is the only downside to this that I can spot. Want it but will wait until I learn synthesis better and until I can grab one at a nice/used price. Very cool times. Korg is killing it.

jayhosking

15 Jan 2019

madmacman wrote:
15 Jan 2019

Honestly: I don't like the tiny breadboard-style jumper wires for patching. For west-coast at entry level I would recommend the Makenoise 0-coast. For a higher price tag, I must admit.
Makes sense, but honestly, I’m not interested enough in the west coast design or sound to buy in at that level. But maybe if I find one cheap?

chimp_spanner

15 Jan 2019

I mean, I have 6 Volcas. I can't not have 8. They're so cute. The only thing I wish all the units had was pattern chaining. That'd make them so much more versatile BUT, with a randomised or ping ponged sequencer on the Modular, I think it'd be easy to create the impression of longer phrases, plus whatever you improvise (like taking steps out or live triggering).

I'm super excited about these. Currently looking around to see what I can sell haha. But I wanna keep everything.

BRIGGS

15 Jan 2019

More on the semi-modular:

r11s

O1B

16 Jan 2019

Lord that was chaotic.

NOT Loving the Sound.
BRIGGS wrote:
15 Jan 2019

chimp_spanner

16 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Lord that was chaotic.

NOT Loving the Sound.
BRIGGS wrote:
15 Jan 2019

Well I don't think it was the best example of what you could do with such a device. No disrespect to the video author at all btw. It's just not how I would've chosen to demonstrate it. So I'm almost certainly gonna get one and add it to the other 6. And probably get the Drum as well, as that could be a great source for drum samples.

But yeah I would've liked to see the sequencer in action with its different scales and playback modes. Something a little more musical and less whacky and abstract. That said, around 14 minutes is pure SOPHIE territory, and easily enough to sell me on it as a companion to my other Volcas. Especially the Kick and Sample.

O1B

16 Jan 2019

You're Right, CS.
And, the video guy is responsible for me getting a few things, so I'm a fan.

The sound was a little clinical/predictable. Maybe such devices need a delay unit built-in (they usually do) and that's what I'm missing.

I just want a portable synth (battery) with keys and 'parameter' control.
I'm sure Ill still try this.
chimp_spanner wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Well I don't think it was the best example of what you could do with such a device. No disrespect to the video author at all btw. It's just not how I would've chosen to demonstrate it. So I'm almost certainly gonna get one and add it to the other 6. And probably get the Drum as well, as that could be a great source for drum samples.

But yeah I would've liked to see the sequencer in action with its different scales and playback modes. Something a little more musical and less whacky and abstract. That said, around 14 minutes is pure SOPHIE territory, and easily enough to sell me on it as a companion to my other Volcas. Especially the Kick and Sample.

chimp_spanner

16 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019
You're Right, CS.
And, the video guy is responsible for me getting a few things, so I'm a fan.

The sound was a little clinical/predictable. Maybe such devices need a delay unit built-in (they usually do) and that's what I'm missing.

I just want a portable synth (battery) with keys and 'parameter' control.
I'm sure Ill still try this.
chimp_spanner wrote:
16 Jan 2019

Also I think if he's trying to show the device off "naked", without the aid of external processing or accompanying instruments then it's gonna be hard. So I appreciate that he had a challenge, and hasn't exactly had weeks or months to get familiar with it. I watched his other videos and the guy knows what he's doing for sure. Have you watched the Drum video as well? It looks fantastic! You can randomise patterns and/or sound parameters. Endless drum loops!

Hydrosonic

16 Jan 2019

I'm very excited about the Drum Volca, it sounds great, watch the Cuckoo video for an in depth look at it. But to my ears the Modular doesn't sound very nice. I'd rather spend the £100 more and get Behringer Neutron. Far more usable and a far better gateway drug to the modular world. Having said that I'd prefer to go the extra mile and get the Arturia MiniBrute 2S...

O1B

16 Jan 2019

Behringer Neutron - huge aftermarket for them @ $200. I don't know why.

Arturia MiniBrute 2S - Everyone should TRY one.
The Sounds. The Synthesis Opportunities.

...and, that Patch Bay:
Hydrosonic wrote:
16 Jan 2019
I'm very excited about the Drum Volca, it sounds great, watch the Cuckoo video for an in depth look at it. But to my ears the Modular doesn't sound very nice. I'd rather spend the £100 more and get Behringer Neutron. Far more usable and a far better gateway drug to the modular world. Having said that I'd prefer to go the extra mile and get the Arturia MiniBrute 2S...

Hydrosonic

16 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019

Yeah I am just going to wait until NAMM has finished just to see what else comes along. But I am 90% certain within the next 3 weeks or so I will have a MiniBrute 2S. I take it you own one? If so what is the software editor like for it? And how well is the Midi Implementation for it? can answer me in a PM so we don't derail this thread

emilng

16 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Where are you seeing Behringer Neutrons going for $200?. Cheapest I saw was in the $280 range.

The Korg Modular looks interesting, but I would probably dish out for a Bastl Kastle or Ranger or an AE Modular system first if I were going to go the electrical wire patching route.

Volca drum sounds great. I would definitely think about it if I were in the market for a drum synth.

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:Behringer Neutron - huge aftermarket for them @ $200. I don't know why.

...and, that Patch Bay:
Hydrosonic wrote:
16 Jan 2019
I tried the MiniBrute 2S. Now I own one. Plus a RackBrute 6U, currently empty and awaiting modules…let the analog-ing begin!
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

16 Jan 2019

Hey Hey Hey,

I do own one, but have only used it 'RAW'.
Microbrute was awesome - but, the sonics on the MiniB 2S is something else.
Access to each wave, tune-ablilty, and Modulation options are Straightforward.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with MIDI.
O1B
Hydrosonic wrote:
16 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019

Yeah I am just going to wait until NAMM has finished just to see what else comes along. But I am 90% certain within the next 3 weeks or so I will have a MiniBrute 2S. I take it you own one? If so what is the software editor like for it? And how well is the Midi Implementation for it? can answer me in a PM so we don't derail this thread

O1B

16 Jan 2019

I apologize. We may have missed it.
There was a person on eBay who had a boatload of B-Stock for $200 a few months ago. I didn't know it changed.
I thought I had plenty of time to decide.

- nope! Gone now.

on another note, OP-Zs are now in stock (Martin PAS, etc)
emilng wrote:
16 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Where are you seeing Behringer Neutrons going for $200?. Cheapest I saw was in the $280 range.

The Korg Modular looks interesting, but I would probably dish out for a Bastl Kastle or Ranger or an AE Modular system first if I were going to go the electrical wire patching route.

Volca drum sounds great. I would definitely think about it if I were in the market for a drum synth.
Last edited by O1B on 16 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

16 Jan 2019

Congrats!! We're Brute Brothers!

And - who you kidding'?! "let the analog-ing begin" You've been at it for years!

The Form Factor of the Brute 2s and the RackBrute is Killer.
I wanna hear all about your modules, please.

Happy New Year!
O1B

selig wrote:
16 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:Behringer Neutron - huge aftermarket for them @ $200. I don't know why.

...and, that Patch Bay:
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/de ... 08bba5.jpg
I tried the MiniBrute 2S. Now I own one. Plus a RackBrute 6U, currently empty and awaiting modules…let the analog-ing begin!
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk

O1B

03 Apr 2019

FYI.. Volca Drum!

Shipping Today!!

kinkujin

04 Apr 2019

Got notification that my Volca Mod shipped.
And I went ahead and ordered the Volca Drum yesterday as well. Like chimp_spanner, I can't NOT get these. More synth than brains at my house ... but fun!!!

Didja order one O1B?

Resonator

15 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
03 Apr 2019
FYI.. Volca Drum!

Shipping Today!!
I got mine on Thursday. It sounds much better than what I’ve seen in the demos.Korg really nailed it with this one.

O1B

16 Apr 2019

Sorry! Just saw!

I almost cancelled - because I have the Elektron Samples, but I kept my order.
I am sooo glad I did. I sounds AWESOME, Dynamic, Lively.

It's a little less intuitive to me that the old Volcas, so a lot of on/off - but I'll RTFM soon.
Big Fun. I bought the case and the Decksaver. Keeper.

kinkujin wrote:
04 Apr 2019
Got notification that my Volca Mod shipped.
And I went ahead and ordered the Volca Drum yesterday as well. Like chimp_spanner, I can't NOT get these. More synth than brains at my house ... but fun!!!

Didja order one O1B?

kinkujin

16 Apr 2019

Didja order one O1B?

Sorry, dunno what that means?

• Information