Laptop recommendations

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
oshkosh181

12 Dec 2018

I just got a new Dell XPS to use primarily with Reason and it was a complete disaster. It couldn’t make it past the first bar of projects without maxing out the DSP meter and endless stuttering and glitches. My old laptop with inferior specs could do much better, even after I made all the recommended audio optimization tweaks to the machine. Therefore, I’m returning it and now back to square one.

Can anyone recommend a reliable laptop (PC) that works well with Reason without performance issues? Hoping for some help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

sublunar

12 Dec 2018

Roughly any laptop that is set up correctly and doesn't have extra shitty onboard audio. Which I would wager is most any laptop these days.

I run Win7 on a Dell E6520 that was released in 2011 and I have no problems. I edit songs almost daily on my lunch breaks.

Disclaimer: I only use one VST (EZDrummer) and am generally relatively light on the RE's. Most of my projects are audio recordings (that I captured in my studio using a desktop with an audio interface) and Midi clips running my drum beats. I'm in IT and I've optimized the computer for audio production which includes using two SSD drives, one in the usual spot and one in place of the optical drive. I'm even using the onboard audio(!), which consists of "IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio".

syncanonymous

19 Dec 2018

Gonna need high end gaming laptop to get a look in at non-mobile cpu power.
I built an 8700K machine last year and now am looking for a laptop to be mobile with Reason 10.
I (nowadays) use cpu hungry REs and VSTs on most projects. Hopefully, 10.3 will ease VST issues.
I'd expect to pay in the region of £3K+ to arrive at the power I require...surely, £2K will net something usable
I haven't started any research yet, I started here looking for cutting edge.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

fullforce

21 Dec 2018

Don't buy a Dell. Look at stuff like MSI and Asus.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information