Email from Teenage Engineering "no one should pay this price for an OP-1"

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jayhosking

14 Feb 2019

While that price is higher than I'd pay for an OP-1, people here really need to consider that boutique things are expensive to make. This is a small company making things in Sweden, not Behringer with a number of giant manufacturing plants in China. TE add up their costs and run their calculations to see how much they would need to charge to keep it profitable, and then they post it for sale. They were struggling to find a new manufacturer of the screens, found one that is likely much more expensive, and adjusted the cost accordingly. I sincerely doubt it has much to do with the bozos upcharging on ebay, because this price is going to substantially hurt TE's sales.

EnochLight

15 Feb 2019

jayhosking wrote:
14 Feb 2019
While that price is higher than I'd pay for an OP-1, people here really need to consider that boutique things are expensive to make. This is a small company making things in Sweden, not Behringer with a number of giant manufacturing plants in China.
Sure, they're a smaller company making boutique products, but they're made in Sweden just like iPhones are made in the USA.

IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg (493.99 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jayhosking

15 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
15 Feb 2019
jayhosking wrote:
14 Feb 2019
While that price is higher than I'd pay for an OP-1, people here really need to consider that boutique things are expensive to make. This is a small company making things in Sweden, not Behringer with a number of giant manufacturing plants in China.
Sure, they're a smaller company making boutique products, but they're made in Sweden just like iPhones are made in the USA.

IMG_3126.jpg
Hah! I stand corrected. I was under the impression that production was also local to them. Nevertheless, I imagine their per-unit production costs are far higher than the big companies, since their total output is so much smaller. I sincerely doubt they would deliberately gut their own sales of the OP-1.

ScuzzyEye

15 Feb 2019

I saw a report that the reason the OP-1 disappeared from their store is the OLED screen they were using was no long being made. It's back now that they've found a new supplier. Could be that the new screen is even more expensive, but they decided to use it because they saw how much people were willing to pay.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2019

The original price was already stupid expensive for what you get. :/

• Information