Sync 3 Computers with diff. DAWs

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
diekehle

10 Dec 2018

Currently we establish a process and the first structures for a studio project. We are 3 people:

- 1 Logic & MPC Guy
- 2 Reason Dudes

Every workstation has different purposes one is for drums, the other for synths and the last for ambient or other punch ins. We want to work on one song together. We are trying to find the best solution to easy hook up 3 Workstations and sync them via Midi Clock. There are so many possibilities to get in sync. One of my ideas is:

- We will have one Computer as Master besides 3 Workstation of ours.
- The master will record/import all the necessary Channels from our workstations.
- The master is also the sync controller for the three workstation and it it will run Logic as last/final source of our sounds/tracks.
- Final Mix will happen on that Master

The problem i got currently is how will it perform? I want to have all workstations in sync via Midi Clock or something else. Do you guys have any tips for me, may be a better solution? Another idea i got is to have one of the three workstation as a master.

jam-s

10 Dec 2018

If your software has got support for it (like Reason does) the Ableton link protocol is by far the easiest to get a synced jam session going.

dioxide

10 Dec 2018

I agree Link is best if possible. Timing with MIDI clock over USB MIDI ports often drifts so it can be difficult to get things to sync properly. Link doesn't have this problem and things are usually tight.

diekehle

12 Dec 2018

Hey Thanks for the Tipp regarding Link, will check that out.

Another Idea i got recently is to use the Akai MPC 2000 as Midi Clock Source and the workstation as slaves. Opinions?

Little Background. We three are long time musicians where two of them stopped in the 2000s with producing music and we are back again. We are a little bit out of the technology spectrum and what could be achieved. So any new hint is always helpful.

Thank you again.

• Information