iOS custom command/shortcut app for controlling macOS?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

25 Nov 2018

What I'm looking for is a customizable keyboard running on iOS that communicates with macOS.

I imagine an app where you can setup buttons, assign a command (that consists of several keys) to a single button, and then label the button with a name. Then what was a key combination is not a single button on a touch display.

Something like this would be a great tool for working with software such as Reason, and switching between software, and not having to memorize shortcuts, or label your qwerty keyboard, or try to find a MIDI controller that has the functions...and then be able to save and switch templates for different pieces of software.

Would be nice to find something that also has MIDI support to add other functionality. But for now, mostly interested to know if there's something out there like this that exists.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2018

Ok I found one and am trying it out now...

https://fullcontrol.cescobaz.com/

But still curious if anybody else has something they are using.

[UPDATE] So this is working pretty well so far and I got it working immediately.

There is a helper app that is installed on macOS that connected it effortlessly. It also communicates with Accessibility API to get all the default commands (those listed in the menus) and even gets all the app icons. You can then create custom commands from scratch per app or from the list of what has been recognized.

There is some other cool functionality such as a trackpad and keyboard and being able to change focus of apps. There is practically no latency. It's very quick.

The downsides:
- You can organize the order of the buttons (via list), but it doesn't seem to allow to you to simply tap and move buttons freely within the space.
- You can choose from the included icons, but can't seem to customize (size or use personal images). I'd almost prefer a grid of squares with text inside them. I'll see what I can do with the included icons...
- Can't seem to hide the bottom section (app switching, trackpad, keyboard access) and this takes up more than a 1/3 of the screen.

There is a button to purchase a Pro version, but I'm having a hard time finding exactly what that offers... Not sure the app has been updated in some time. Everything that it offers works though and I'm running it with macOS 10.13.6

• Information