Boutiques and Reason sharing ideas tips thread

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 520
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 14 Nov 2018

Hi, I thought it was a good idea to share my personal thoughts, and experience so far for how the Boutique series integrates in Reason.
Thread is mainly for gathering some user perspective but also sharing some other basic info, such as firmware updates, editors.

One of the coolest things if you have two or more od these 4 poly devices is that you can either Poseidon/Distributor them or dual/key layer them in combinator... and that is awesome because the chain mode has notes skipping flaws by design.
Anyway. have to try on different devices and see if note skipping persist. Without chain mode from hardware You would lose the sharings of the sound settings from the master device. Working with Reason and an editor, or two, it could be possible to mirror variations by combinator/mirror/cv/ ecc etc etc
But I do not own double copy of jp-08 for example, just one :P :P :P :P :P


One main reason to use editors is for the capability to save patches remotely without having to overwrite existing patches, but there are caveats, as some are proper librarian, and works only in standalone, and other can be tweaked in Reason, but composing a library is more difficult, exporting .fxp, data back ups, etc.. two different workfowls, mainly acquatic.


OK, next step is --- editors.
I got me three editors from Momo, all written in CTRL
CTRL also has a very nice free d05 editor that works fine within Reason, just awesome.

But with the new editors I got some problems.
From my mail to momomiller:
+ All editors works with REason 10.3

- I got some problems

1: I have two editors open at the same time, but both requires midi channel 1 to work properly.
This way I can not play them together with the Daw, because I only have one midi interface.
Is there a workaround? Or I have to manually set each machine each time to midi channel 1 individually?
Can I not change that to my usual midi channel for the device?
I tried and the editor was not responding- all devices *tried d50 first- are set to transmit cc data and has latest firmware updated.

2: Saving as plugin state I can save as .panel, is that how I need to save my patches in standalone mode?

3: In the manual you say it's not possible to retrieve data but is possible to receive it.
That mean that I can not see what are the actual position of the knobs and various settings the device have when changing preset?
I have the free D50 panel for CTRL and loading presets seems to be more advanced in that regard, but those presets are not reflected in the D05 banks.
Instead yours can move through the actual banks - I can not see the name of my preset in the editor, but just the number of bank-preset, is that a consequence of the non retrieving of data?

Ps. All my boutiques are connected to the same midi interface, with common din 5, perhaps I could take the physical midi out and send midi note events on/off from or to the usb midi instead,
thus I would have effectively more than one midi interface. I'm already using those midi interfaces for except for the D-05 there is not actual Midi through, for midi through purposes.
If I would use their respective midi usb interface for to run all editors at once, would I be able to use their respective midi out/in for midi through if set to a different channel? *(only relevant for the slave device at the other end,
the setup works in normal conditions -eg no editors open).




------------ end of letter to momo


ps. Each device is lit in battery fixed mode, with regular 5v psu soft attached to battery +/- and usb conncted to the DAW.

///

Other (non CTRL) librarian for d50 works great for the d05 in standalone mode, is free, and can receive sysex data, ops, retrieve.. :roll:



In picture: Standard Reason-emi combinator DIY editor.and momo editor on the left (CTRL)
jp reason.JPG
Saving a combinator full CC fledged for the relative device, would sort the same effect of saving a patch on the editor as .fxb. Yet the editor has a visual advantage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 520
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 29 Nov 2018

I was looking at some vids on the tube, about the chain mode which does not round robin, and has long release notes causing issues, where those are hanging,
other notes don't come up. So I thought, why do not use Reason to solve this issue?
There's two Rack extensions available, to do that, actually three, but you only need two of them.

Blamsoft Distributor
Alien seed Poseidon
LoveOne Midi-cv merger (poly cv Blamsoft mode)

Obviuosly the first two both do the job, both are different in use and features, where Alien seed can go up to 16 poly on a single device, then it can chain itself... and Blamsoft can pitch up the octaves and have a very polished design.
Anyway, let say you want to chain two boutiques together, both set to 4 poly mode, no chain mode, just standard midi connection, or midi usb to enable midi through that is not built in in the firmware... anyway... the big deal is actually the LoveOne Player, used as aa merger for those 8 max polyphony in per device (again, chain them to have more if you need).


Because the Boutiques are max 4 poly, you actually need to split up the signal into two LoveOne Midi-cv Player, so four channels each.

In Dual mode, those would be two per Midi-cv player.

One LoveOne Midi-cv converter output will merge all inputs into one single poly cv that will blow that limitation away. The secret must be in Blam poly cv.
Just remember that each external midi EMI device will need to be slaved to those two/four Master mergers with others slave Midi-cv, it won't work connected through standard cv cables.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1053
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2018

I bought the Momo editor for my JP-08 but could not get it working, and don't know why. I'll have another dive into this in the next few weeks...

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2108
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I bought the Momo editor for my JP-08 but could not get it working, and don't know why. I'll have another dive into this in the next few weeks...
Don't have the JP-08 (yet!), but how is the BreadAndButterSounds online one working for you? http://breadandbuttersounds.com/
It works well here with the D-05 via USB.

I have another question for you: Thinking of either getting the JP-08 or Roland Cloud subscription (as they have the holiday offer right now)...
What are your thoughts? Are you happy with the JP-08? Despite its limited voice count?

D.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1053
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2018

eusti wrote:
13 Dec 2018
raymondh wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I bought the Momo editor for my JP-08 but could not get it working, and don't know why. I'll have another dive into this in the next few weeks...
Don't have the JP-08 (yet!), but how is the BreadAndButterSounds online one working for you? http://breadandbuttersounds.com/
It works well here with the D-05 via USB.

I have another question for you: Thinking of either getting the JP-08 or Roland Cloud subscription (as they have the holiday offer right now)...
What are your thoughts? Are you happy with the JP-08? Despite its limited voice count?

D.
I sold my JU06 and one of my JP08s when I bought a System 8. The System 8 took it up a whole new level, especially with quality (no aliasing at top end), polyphony and full sized controls.

But I kept one JP-08. I find I still prefer to use the JP-08 for "Jupiter 8" sound design. This is because the front panel has the same controls as the J8, and the System 8 actually requires a tiny bit of menu diving for some of the Jupiter 8 functions. The Jupiter 8 is such a great blend of simplicity + sound design power + every sound is musical that I really value the Boutique user experience for experimenting with sound design. Much more rewarding than mouse on a computer screen, and much more intuitive than a generic control surface where having to remember which button/slider controls a parameter means you end up back on the mouse.

Of note, the JP-08 does have a hidden chorus, which is similar to the Juno chorus, and it really fattens up the sound. You have to use a control code (CC93) to turn it on (via the Reason MIDI device), but you can save the setting with the patches on the JP.

The 4 note polyphony is definitely a limitation though and the wonderful sounds beg to be played with big chords. That's why I had two JP-08s chained together.
I don't want to pay for Roland Cloud, and I don't think the Arturia Jupiter 8 sounds very good, so for me the JP-08 is a good way to go.

If I needed a soft synth that could sound like a J8, I'd use u-he Diva. It is fabulous.

I connect all my synths using the 5 PIN DIN MIDI cables, not using USB. I found that the Boutiques create a heap of ground loop interference with my computer, so now USB is only used to supply power. If you've experienced/fixed that problem, I'm all ears!

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2108
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I sold my JU06 and one of my JP08s when I bought a System 8. The System 8 took it up a whole new level, especially with quality (no aliasing at top end), polyphony and full sized controls.

But I kept one JP-08. I find I still prefer to use the JP-08 for "Jupiter 8" sound design. This is because the front panel has the same controls as the J8, and the System 8 actually requires a tiny bit of menu diving for some of the Jupiter 8 functions. The Jupiter 8 is such a great blend of simplicity + sound design power + every sound is musical that I really value the Boutique user experience for experimenting with sound design. Much more rewarding than mouse on a computer screen, and much more intuitive than a generic control surface where having to remember which button/slider controls a parameter means you end up back on the mouse.

Of note, the JP-08 does have a hidden chorus, which is similar to the Juno chorus, and it really fattens up the sound. You have to use a control code (CC93) to turn it on (via the Reason MIDI device), but you can save the setting with the patches on the JP.

The 4 note polyphony is definitely a limitation though and the wonderful sounds beg to be played with big chords. That's why I had two JP-08s chained together.
I don't want to pay for Roland Cloud, and I don't think the Arturia Jupiter 8 sounds very good, so for me the JP-08 is a good way to go.

If I needed a soft synth that could sound like a J8, I'd use u-he Diva. It is fabulous.

I connect all my synths using the 5 PIN DIN MIDI cables, not using USB. I found that the Boutiques create a heap of ground loop interference with my computer, so now USB is only used to supply power. If you've experienced/fixed that problem, I'm all ears!
Thanks for elaborating!

Makes perfect sense how you went about it then... Still not sure what to do... In a way I'm drawn to the JP-08 as it's cute and small and doesn't take up a lot of space... And I have plenty of soft synths already...

Haven't run into the ground loop part yet... Although we recorded the D-05 audio through the line out... But especially in that set-up: PC with Cubase as main DAW through audio and midi, but USB connected to the mac to edit sounds if needed... I was quite happy with that...

D.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests