Using multiple track recording from mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ejanuska

Post 05 Nov 2018

Is anyone using a mixer such as Beheringer X32, Zoom LiveTrak L-20, PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series III Digital Mixer, or similar device to record with Reason?
I would like to record multiple tracks live and I need a replacement for my current audio interface. Using a mixer as an audio interface looks like an good option with newer mixers including audio interface options.
I also like the appeal of leaving shit like instruments and mics, plugged in and not having to reconfigure a bunch of settings and levels every time I want to record overdubs from a different device.
I'm considering buying one in the $1000-$1800 range so any other suggestions are OK, but I don't want something that requires an iPad or other tablet to control it. TASCAM 24 is out, I would like 96k resolution minimum.
I'm not even sure if I would be better off buying an audio interface for sound quality or other performance issues I haven't even considered.
Maybe a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB 18x20 Audio Interface is all I really need...

QVprod

Post 05 Nov 2018

If you just want enough inputs to leave stuff plugged in, buying a mixer is a waste. Just buy an audio interface with the amount of inputs you need. If you're recording bands live (multiple musicians simultaneously), then a mixer has a slight benefit in physical control, but most multichannel interfaces have built in mixers anyway.

Also, many of the cheaper mixers like the ones you mentioned only go up to 48K recording if 96k is really important to you.

ejanuska

Post 05 Nov 2018

Part of me agrees with you. I'll get more sound quality for the money, take a up less real estate.
Another part of me wants to have hardware that has a function. Sometimes the mouse is a drag.

QVprod

Post 05 Nov 2018

You could always buy a separate controller. Will probably come out to the same price range.

dbdecker

Post 27 Jun 2020

im looking into the allen & heath OU-16 right now to do this, being a digital mixer with a full 24/22 I/O digital interface built in and motorised fadders to boot.

selig

Post 28 Jun 2020

I love my L-20, and use it as an interface for all my hardware synths (and the occasional contact mic etc. for sampling). As a recorder, I use it for live shows, but it's also saved many great and fleeting ideas when I didn't have time to boot Reason and assign all the tracks. Very easy to get the audio from the SD card into Reason, or just play it in real time into Reason.

I thought I'd only use it with my live setup, but it's worked out quite well with my studio setup/Reason. Want to do a live stream of the setup when the "real" studio finally gets built (waiting on permits as I write this).
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

Post 28 Jun 2020

Sound Quality will Go UP. Guaranteed.

'Im a mixer fanatic and have used a bunch.

I've owned , L-12(or 16), , Native Inst S8

I currently use iRig Mix, Zoom H6, Behr UFX 1208, Roland MX-1, and a few Eurorack mixers.
I'm after the DJM-10, but the HP/LP filter redesign is off-putting.

I'm sold on them.
Per channel - or personalized - filters and EQs gives you good practice in "driving your mixes into the (onboard or otherwise) Compressor."

The Digital EQ of the L series (or DAW-based) were less "lively" than mixers w/ analog eqs. just my experience...
ejanuska wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I'm not even sure if I would be better off buying an audio interface for sound quality or other performance issues I haven't even considered.
Maybe a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB 18x20 Audio Interface is all I really need...

demt

Post 29 Jun 2020

not many mixers have more than 2 channel output ive got 2 6channel mixers to get 4 channels through my umc1820 soundcard into reason with the further option of using the soundcard directly for any other inputs, requires flexable thinking!
currently akai touch mpc. reasonsuite11, android kaosilater .behringer ddm4000 dj mixer
hear scince reason 2.5

Sterioevo

Post 30 Jun 2020

I have used the original Presonus Studiolive and AI series consoles extensively with Reason for years, both in the studio and in live recording environments. Overall I have been more than happy with the workflow and results.
I don't use a large console in my home studio though as I don't generally need more than 4 in/outs on a day to day basis, nor do I have the space to have this permanently setup.
The ability to record to SD in the newer consoles is a fantastic addition. If I was to invest in a new console I would be giving the soundcraft SI series some research time.

• Information