New Mac Air $1199 [Lightness strikes again]

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

30 Oct 2018

- the old '13's time is UP. But, it's been with me since then..

+ $200 for 16GB
+ $200 for 512GB (I'll forgo 1TB at $800 this time)
+ $250 for Apple Care

Shows "Delivery November 7th" on my order, so I beat the Wait.
$2000 aware from Moog ONE savings, but this was an easy one.

Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 617
Support for Thunderbolt 3–enabled external graphics processors (eGPUs)

Video Support
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
One external display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at up to 60Hz
Up to two external displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at up to 60Hz
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output using adapters (sold separately)

joeyluck

30 Oct 2018

I dunno, I think I'd buy my same MacBook Air again.

For me, a retina display is unnecessary for a portable laptop for music making. 1440x900 looks good enough on a 13" display. Shoot I went from the same resolution on a 15" MBP when I got my Air, so it looked brilliant seeing the same resolution on a smaller screen lol

How is the battery life on the new retina models? For me, that's a big factor, with the previous Air being one of the longest lasting in the laptop market. And part of that may be partly attributed to the more optimal resolution.

Also, I don't see options for processors. Is it only i5 for the new ones? Mine is a 2.2GHz i7.

It does look like you can get more RAM and storage, so I guess that's nice. Mine is 8GB RAM and 512GB flash storage (which was the max for that model).

Not to mention the I/O you get on the older model. I still prefer the magsafe and being mostly dongle free. But support for external GPU is nice.

O1B

30 Oct 2018

Scratch that last post.

i5 made me rethink it.

Mac Book Pro '13 is only $600 more for the same specs - and is an i7 - and, has a touch bar, - and was just updated.
"Configurable to 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM"

.. and only 1/4 pound more.

Thanks, Joey!
I just cancelled my order and rebooked for a Pro '13.

Waited all this time for a DAMN i5.
joeyluck wrote:
30 Oct 2018
I dunno, I think I'd buy my same MacBook Air again.

For me, a retina display is unnecessary for a portable laptop for music making. 1440x900 looks good enough on a 13" display. Shoot I went from the same resolution on a 15" MBP when I got my Air, so it looked brilliant seeing the same resolution on a smaller screen lol

How is the battery life on the new retina models? For me, that's a big factor, with the previous Air being one of the longest lasting in the laptop market. And part of that may be partly attributed to the more optimal resolution.

Also, I don't see options for processors. Is it only i5 for the new ones? Mine is a 2.2GHz i7.

It does look like you can get more RAM and storage, so I guess that's nice. Mine is 8GB RAM and 512GB flash storage (which was the max for that model).

Not to mention the I/O you get on the older model. I still prefer the magsafe and being mostly dongle free. But support for external GPU is nice.

O1B

31 Oct 2018

Joey,
i Literally ordered and X'd the mac air.
Then, i Literally... Literally ordered and X'd the "13 MBP

I have a "15 MBP (last USB version) 2.3 i7, and a "15 MBP (usb-C Touchbar) 2.8 i7 -
BUT, I end up carrying my gf's '13 i7 Air cause it works and it's so DAMN light and quiet.
NOW, it's dying. The screen is hazy... not dirt... like a film is over it. at highest brightness.

my other dilemma is that my Big Screen - LG UltraFine 4k - only worked with the newer MBP.
I see now there are videos that show the monitor can now work with the old new MBP so...

I'm nixing a new computer, using my 2.8 i7 MBP, and putting the $3K back towards the Moog ONE.

Thanks again, Joey. I dont know how, but Im glad that '13 is keeping up for you.
O1B

10 Nov 2018

This is a very, very nice computer. I haven't used it for music yet but my initial impressions are that this is a great laptop. So far I have no regrets on purchasing.

O1B

28 Oct 2020

What do you think of the NEW MB Air?

My NEW OLD 2016 High Sierra MBP RANDOMLY shuts off.
But, I'm waiting for the 2021 MBPs to go BIG again.

Fall 2020 AIR - i5, 8GB 512GB for - $1300
OR
CURRENT MBP 13", i5, 256, Touch Bar, for $1300 (512GB for $1500)

Can it/they handle Reason? (i7 is $150, 16GB is $200 - for the MB Air)
I foresee moderate RE/VST/APP use, but I will want to Multi-track - if it makes a difference?

Thanks for any help,

O1B
MBAir: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macb ... 5ghz-512gb#
joeyluck wrote:
30 Oct 2018

O1B

01 Nov 2020

I bought the Air, 512, 8, i7, $1550 plus Tax and Care.
Then. I returned it x before I opened it. .

FYI: Possibly an :arrow: Apple event on :arrow: November 17, rolling out
Apple Silicon.

If nothing happens, it’s either a Gold Air or a 13”MBP for $300 more.

Interesting Times...
https://www.imore.com/are-mac-shipping- ... icon-event
Last edited by O1B on 02 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

LukeDunn

01 Nov 2020

I just picked up a 13' MacBook Pro. 2.3 i7, 32 gb ram. I'm loving it, and 11 runs great! I would suggest having a look at the refirbished ones from apple, especially if your ordering it to be s hipped. I was able to find one with the specs I wanted and saved about $500. They treat it as new, as far as warranty and everything go.

Luke

kuhliloach

01 Nov 2020

With iPad for portable use I'm now eyeing the 32GB Mac Mini as my first-ever new Mac purchase. But if Apple releases Logic for the iPad I may never buy another desktop or laptop system again. Is the Air idea based on lots of portable use? Otherwise doesn't it seem a nice Mac Mini with a giant monitor would be the thing to do?

O1B

02 Nov 2020

Is the Air idea based on lots of portable use?
I’ve never Owned/Had a desktop. I doubt I ever will.

The next gen Airs/Pros are set to have 15-20hr battery life :puf_smile:

I’m all about portable - even when I’m home.

And, the specs of the 12” MacBook silicon ~matches a 13”MBP :redface: .
I’ll know on or about the 17th!

kuhliloach wrote:
01 Nov 2020
With iPad for portable use I'm now eyeing the 32GB Mac Mini as my first-ever new Mac purchase. But if Apple releases Logic for the iPad I may never buy another desktop or laptop system again. Is the Air idea based on lots of portable use? Otherwise doesn't it seem a nice Mac Mini with a giant monitor would be the thing to do?

O1B

02 Nov 2020

Thanks for the info. $500 $avings is Darn Good!
The Silicon may debut at $850 which is $1k less than the MBP. :shock:

I do want to try the 13”. The Ports and “Pro-ness” sways me.
But, I’m also trying to minimize spending until the (Late) 2021,16” .

My current 15” reboots too much and... well - screw it!

:shock: :shock: Just saw the 32GB of ram.. :puf_smile: .
I Didn’t know they did that on 13”s.
LukeDunn wrote:
01 Nov 2020
I just picked up a 13' MacBook Pro. 2.3 i7, 32 gb ram. I'm loving it, and 11 runs great! I would suggest having a look at the refirbished ones from apple, especially if your ordering it to be s hipped. I was able to find one with the specs I wanted and saved about $500. They treat it as new, as far as warranty and everything go.

Luke

benjified

02 Nov 2020

The current Airs have a fan but it’s not connected to the heat pipe so Apple gimped the Air’s cooling capacity. An i7 may not be feasible, and if you’re shelling extra cash you might as well get a Pro 13”. Not sure what the new Apple Silicons will be, could be an entry level MacBook with Airs and Pros turning up later. Expect a long transition process but I’m excited to see what it’ll be, and I just switched back to PC.

LukeDunn

02 Nov 2020

O1B wrote:
02 Nov 2020
Thanks for the info. $500 $avings is Darn Good!
The Silicon may debut at $850 which is $1k less than the MBP. :shock:

I do want to try the 13”. The Ports and “Pro-ness” sways me.
But, I’m also trying to minimize spending until the (Late) 2021,16” .

My current 15” reboots too much and... well - screw it!

:shock: :shock: Just saw the 32GB of ram.. :puf_smile: .
I Didn’t know they did that on 13”s.
LukeDunn wrote:
01 Nov 2020

Luke
I decided to try and pick one up before the new Apple processors and the new OS. I felt Catalina and the i7 was tested and would provide less possible complications with software. With my track record, this laptop should be with me for at least 10years or more. I’m still rocking a 2008 Mac Pro as my main machine.

Luke

enossified

03 Nov 2020

I bought a MacBook Air back in May, right after Apple finally dropped the MacBook Pros. I bought the Air because the Pro doesn't add anything important for me until geting to the second tier (with 4 Tbolt ports). I couldn't justify the $500 upcharge.

I got the i5, 8GB, 512GB MBA model. It's so much faster than my 2010 MB Pro it's not funny. Totally satisifed except I wish Apple hadn't made it impossible to upgrade RAM and SSD yourself. C'est la vie.

Sound On Sound's review benchmarked it at 96 CPU-heavy tracks in Logic which is way beyond my needs, now or ever.

• Information