I made a codec for the Arturia BeatStep

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
wikholm

14 Oct 2018

Hi all

Attached is my first published Remote codec for the Arturia BeatStep. While I think it's safe, if you try it out, you do so at your own peril. Acknowledging all rights and trademarks of others, I reserve no rights in my contributions, which you may use and adapt for any legal purposes.

The pads sends their usual MIDI notes. All eight buttons maps to transport functions (and undo). The encoders acts like encoders (sending increments and decrements) and maps to controls on the Reason devices and Rack Extensions typically included with Reason up to version 10.2

I've enclosed some setup instructions, a list of what's mapped where, and a tad further reading, including some tips on how to modify the codec. I hope it's simple enough to be fairly easy to adapt. While I am a programmer, I don't know much about Remote or Lua. If something isn't in the codec or in the instructions, I probably don't know, but someone here likely does, so feel free to ask questions anyway.

Happy tweaking.

Edit Jan 31 2019: Updated attached zip file with previously missing BeatStep-Reason.beatstep file. Sorry for that.
Attachments
BeatStep Reason Codec 14Oct2018 rev2.zip
Reason Lua codec for Arturia BeatStep.
(87.44 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Last edited by wikholm on 31 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

zrav

26 Jan 2019

Thank you for this! Do you know if a codec for the BSP or the MiniLab mkII would differ a lot from the BeatStep? I'm currently deciding which to buy out of the three, but as with all Arturia gear, the Reason integration is non-existent, so there could be a lot of work involved in getting them to work as they should, especially if I couldn't base the codec for them on this work.

wikholm

31 Jan 2019

Thanks for spotting the missing file. I felt like I checked everything twenty times or so. Sometimes, it doesn't help, it seems. I've uploaded a corrected zip file now.
[Edit: I'm not making much sense today... zrav notified me that the zip archive was missing one file.]

I don't have access to either device, so I can only guess. I had a look at the (now quite old) codec for the MiniLab "mk1" when making the BeatStep codec and, apart from the hardware ID, most things seemed, from a technical standpoint to be pretty much the same, though the number of controls differs a bit. As both the MiniLab mk2 and the BSP belongs to a later generation, there might be more pronounced differences, though I'd *guess* they'd be reluctant to reinvent things that already works.

From what I read here: https://www.untergeek.de/2014/11/taming ... ment-43416
the BSP seems to use a similar SysEx structure, so that would *suggest* similarity, but in the end, I still don't know.

The Arturia MIDI Control Center has a Midi Console that can show all outgoing and incoming SysEx messages. It should be possible to analyze what AMCC sends to the BSP when a saving a configuration to it.

You'd essentially "only" need the SysEx for requesting and matching the hardware type. My codec uses a few more SysEx sequences to assign other functions to buttons (like Recall and Store) that AMCC cannot reconfigure. Since BSP has more transport buttons to begin with, it may not need such hacks, while the MiniLab doesn't really have such buttons.

I'm afraid that's about all I know. I hope you will find a working solution.

• Information