External Hardware, Recording and Midi back with Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Brosefski

08 Oct 2018

Greetings all. My first post ever. I'm pretty sure this has been answered before I couldn't immediately find anything and well, also I'd like the latest opinions.

Basically what I'm looking for is a good start into incorporating external synths into my music using Reason with whatever peripherals I'll need to get that job done well on decent budget. So the question right off the bat is: what's a good external piece of equipment that will allow midi control from my midi controller into reason and back out into the synth with the ability to record the synth?

I bought the Behringer Model D recently and I've been having fun just toying around with it but I'm ready to try and make a full track with just using that synth alone to get some creativity rolling with it. I also have the AKAI MPK49 which I really like as a midi controller. What I would like to do is control the Behringer D with the midi controller and then record whatever sound it makes either into Reason or another program. My confusion is finding the right peripheral. There was the Native Instruments Komplete 6, I believe, which appears quite dated in this video below:

It does appear to do what I want but it's old. I was looking at this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface but I'm not sure if that's the right fit or not. What do you guys use to achieve this?
:reason: :recycle: :re:

QVprod

09 Oct 2018

Does either your midi controller or audio interface have a midi out port? If so then all you need is a midi cable to connect it to an external synth. However the Behringer Model D also has a usb port that you can just connect directly to your computer for midi connection.

Brosefski

09 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2018
Does either your midi controller or audio interface have a midi out port? If so then all you need is a midi cable to connect it to an external synth. However the Behringer Model D also has a usb port that you can just connect directly to your computer for midi connection.
True but I think what I'm looking for is also the ability to record back into the computer with a good audio to digital converter, high quality. I'm assuming longer life with it so that would mean I might be buying another synth (eyeing the virus access) and using it with that too. So I want something I can grow into a bit and my budget is mid range so I want something that's high quality.

I will try the USB connection but I wasn't doing too much of that because I was playing with it outside my computer and directly connecting my midi controller into the synth itself.

QVprod

09 Oct 2018

I wasn't aware you didn't have an audio interface already. That wasn't clear in the first post. So what you want is something with enough inputs for any other synths you may potentially add in the future. Quality is not much of an issue and you won't really notice much of a quality difference in general in interfaces less than $700. Starting out, something like this would be just fine https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-fca1616

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

Get the Presonus, it has DC coupled outputs so you can send Reason CV signals to control external analog synths, eg modulate the filter etc.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Brosefski

10 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2018
I wasn't aware you didn't have an audio interface already. That wasn't clear in the first post. So what you want is something with enough inputs for any other synths you may potentially add in the future. Quality is not much of an issue and you won't really notice much of a quality difference in general in interfaces less than $700. Starting out, something like this would be just fine https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-fca1616
Behringer's quality has been going up so I'm going to take a look at that. Thanks!

Brosefski

10 Oct 2018

Boombastix wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Get the Presonus, it has DC coupled outputs so you can send Reason CV signals to control external analog synths, eg modulate the filter etc.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
That's a good point you have! The PreSonus does seem nice and I was recommended by it from Sweetwater when on the phone but I wanted some extra feedback to what other people are using or prefer too. That CV point you've got does appear to be very nice.

• Information