I want some new toys for my Reason set-up....opinions pls

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
unclenofun

26 Sep 2018

hey! first post but I just have to get this out there...

I'm looking to add to my set-up and have my eye on the Push 2. I can see the control it has over Reason but is there any advantage to getting the Push if I already have a P4? I think the Nektar has most of the automatic mapping and controls under hand but is there any other benefits that the Push offers that I'm not seeing?

The other thing I have my eye on is the Minibrute 2S. The main thing I'm after is more of a creative tool rather than a control one. (if that makes sense?) I bought myself a monome a while back and although I haven't fully used it to it's full capabilities it's a fun creative aid. making me play things I wouldn't normally think of. I think the MB2S has that possibility but I'm not sure of the Reason integration

what would you guys recommend?

nice creative tool....works with Reason

Push 2 or Minibrute 2s?

Faastwalker

26 Sep 2018

I'm wondering how well the Push 2 works with Reason. Nice bit of kit.

Pricey but you get what you pay for by the look of it.

unclenofun

27 Sep 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Sep 2018
I'm wondering how well the Push 2 works with Reason. Nice bit of kit.

Pricey but you get what you pay for by the look of it.
From the vids I've seen, Push works very well within Reason. I just cant tell if it does the same or more than my P4

unclenofun

01 Oct 2018

I'm now leaning more towards the Minibrute 2s for the creative side of things but I'm now wondering if it is the right tool for my music....I settle in more of the ambient/chill/sometimes drone side of things and the patch bay really appealed to me.

can anyone recommend any hardware synths that are better suited to this type of music?

I'm attracted to the monologue.....is there much difference to go for the minilogue instead?

any help on this would be much appreciated

thanks

O1B

01 Oct 2018

Microbrute 2s, Minilogue, and Monologue here...

Minibrute 2s Synthing is a Breeze. ...a well designed synth for live action:
1. Access to all the waves is not to common AFAI can tell..
If you owned a Dixie 2+, you'd still need a six channel attenuator to attenuate the Waves... each fader gives instant amplification - and attenuation. For direct control, nothing beats it, that I've seen.

2. The Filter is nice. The band Pass is sweet for " the ambient/chill/sometimes drone side of things "

3. The Step Sequencer is BOSS. And, it doubles as a Keyboard in a pinch.
4. Metalizer.
5. Brute Factor.
6. Global TUNE. Smart. Very Smart.
7. Tempo. Global Clock.

The Minilogue. With Ambience (Clouds) the Minilogue is out of this world.

But, IMO, the monologue goes a little Lower and Deeper bass wise.
The MONOlogue, and the DrumBrute IMPACT are a great team.

Now, do listen the the DIgitakt. The Sound is STELLAR. It gets LOW. Drums and/or Synth.

If your menu diving skills are above average, consider the Analog 4. Magical. BASS.
4 Voices.: 4 Mono or 2 mono, 1 DUO or 2 DUOs... in one Synth. And, the Sequencer.

Good Luck Choosing!

unclenofun wrote:
01 Oct 2018
I'm now leaning more towards the Minibrute 2s for the creative side of things but I'm now wondering if it is the right tool for my music....I settle in more of the ambient/chill/sometimes drone side of things and the patch bay really appealed to me.

can anyone recommend any hardware synths that are better suited to this type of music?

I'm attracted to the monologue.....is there much difference to go for the minilogue instead?

any help on this would be much appreciated

thanks

unclenofun

01 Oct 2018

Thanks, I'll check those other's out!

Was that listed in your preference (best first) or just typed that way?

Was actually in a music store today. Was thinking to meself "if I get a monologue... I could also get a small FX unit/sampler/drum machine within my £500 budget!"

I should really go for what's best within my style of music. And my Reason setup!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

unclenofun

01 Oct 2018

Saying all this, my friend has just pointed me to the korg electribe 2. Videos that I've seen show it working well with Reason and suit my style!

Any drawbacks that I'm not seeing? I know the normal can't accept new samples (whereas the sampler version can) but it has more filters

O1B

03 Oct 2018

Yes, to Electribe 2.0 . I thought I'd have sold it by now. Still have them both.
I use the Synth Version version almost daily - only because I have more immediate samplers now.

Check out Program 199 or 200..... that's some realistic sounding acoustic drumming - if you ask me.

I never midi/usb it to Reason. Im still used to when it couldn't - but,
- Stellar TEMPO w/TAP and sync in/OUT.
- Drums, Synth, Sound design Possibilities, Drones, Leads, Pads, etc
- Sampler
- Great Price
- Pads are well made.
- XY Pad
- Channel and Master FX
- Polyphony
- Portable, Battery operated, Zinc case.
Solid choice.
unclenofun wrote:
01 Oct 2018
Saying all this, my friend has just pointed me to the korg electribe 2. Videos that I've seen show it working well with Reason and suit my style!

Any drawbacks that I'm not seeing? I know the normal can't accept new samples (whereas the sampler version can) but it has more filters

unclenofun

03 Oct 2018

Cool, thanks for the advice! Think that's mind made up now!
O1B wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Yes, to Electribe 2.0 . I thought I'd have sold it by now. Still have them both.
I use the Synth Version version almost daily - only because I have more immediate samplers now.

demt

04 Oct 2018

dont forget multi track recording!!!!!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

unclenofun

04 Oct 2018

demt wrote:dont forget multi track recording!!!!!
Eh? For the electribe? Or just Reason in general?

O1B

05 Oct 2018

Just to have polyphony in a small box is awesome.

A Really Cool feature:
Keyboard MODE ALSO Pitches the Drum track you are working on.

That is the BEST!!! How many drum machines can records steps of one TOM or Kick at different tunings? No automation. No off-key knob twisting. That was really smart.
It's not a feature exclusive to the E2.0. But, not many drum boxes do that.
And, the E 2.0 ALSO has automation of knob twisting!!!

... sadly, all those articulation possibilities are thwarted because -
IMO, the E2.0's biggest drawback is that Quantize is ALWAYS ON! No bueno.
But it gets my ideas out there ...quicker... than any other machine.

If you have a Friend w/a Digitakt, give it a Go. I assure you, you'll be trading up.
But, that's for another day.

Whatever you decide to Get, Get to know it, and Have FUN!!
unclenofun wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Cool, thanks for the advice! Think that's mind made up now!
O1B wrote:
03 Oct 2018

demt

05 Oct 2018

mtk requires a mtk audio interface

sorta has 12 audio inputs for 12 diffrent channels in ths ssl mixer +effects for eatch channel i think this means if youve got a drum machine like drumbrute you can individually add effects and levels to eatch individual drum theres a few other mtk s out therebut this 1 has offboard effects as well
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

unclenofun

05 Oct 2018

demt wrote:mtk requires a mtk audio interface

sorta has 12 audio inputs for 12 diffrent channels in ths ssl mixer +effects for eatch channel i think this means if youve got a drum machine like drumbrute you can individually add effects and levels to eatch individual drum theres a few other mtk s out therebut this 1 has offboard effects as well
Ah, I getchya now!

This will definitely be something I'll be looking for in the future.... Only just starting on hardware at the moment!

demt

05 Oct 2018

unclenofun

Unread post 39 minutes ago

demt wrote:
mtk requires a mtk audio interface

Ah, I getchya now!

thats the sdk mixer in reason can have 12 tracks mixing instead of 1 stereo track

arh the musics marvelous
hear scince reason 2.5

fullforce

06 Oct 2018

unclenofun wrote:
26 Sep 2018

I'm looking to add to my set-up and have my eye on the Push 2. I can see the control it has over Reason but is there any advantage to getting the Push if I already have a P4? I think the Nektar has most of the automatic mapping and controls under hand but is there any other benefits that the Push offers that I'm not seeing?

The other thing I have my eye on is the Minibrute 2S. The main thing I'm after is more of a creative tool rather than a control one. (if that makes sense?) I bought myself a monome a while back and although I haven't fully used it to it's full capabilities it's a fun creative aid. making me play things I wouldn't normally think of. I think the MB2S has that possibility but I'm not sure of the Reason integration

Push 2 or Minibrute 2s?
Push is fantastic with Reason, but you do need PusheR from Retouchcontrol to really get going (and I do mean that it IS fantastic) and Grid64g is also a nice addition for drum programming. And a Push one will suffice, really.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

unclenofun

06 Oct 2018

fullforce wrote:
unclenofun wrote:
26 Sep 2018

Push 2 or Minibrute 2s?
Push is fantastic with Reason, but you do need PusheR from Retouchcontrol to really get going (and I do mean that it IS fantastic) and Grid64g is also a nice addition for drum programming. And a Push one will suffice, really.
The push 2 does look fantastic. Thinking of trying it some time.... Maybe an upgrade for my P4?

fullforce

06 Oct 2018

unclenofun wrote:
06 Oct 2018
fullforce wrote:
The push 2 does look fantastic. Thinking of trying it some time.... Maybe an upgrade for my P4?

Push 2 is same old of Push 1, but with better graphix. For Reason, you don't get anything better out of Push 2 than you would get from Push 1.

But hey, if you want to be a thief of your own wallet, go for a Push 2.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

unclenofun

06 Oct 2018

fullforce wrote:
06 Oct 2018
unclenofun wrote:
06 Oct 2018

Push 2 is same old of Push 1, but with better graphix. For Reason, you don't get anything better out of Push 2 than you would get from Push 1.

But hey, if you want to be a thief of your own wallet, go for a Push 2.
The graphix would be a big thing for me....functionality wise I cant seem to see a lot of difference between what I already have (the P4) aside from one has keys, push would have more immediate access to all of kongs pads and the ability to switch between rack devices via a scroll of a knob. they can do pretty much the same thing. so it would only be a slight upgrade if that. but that's in the future!

The whole thing of this thread was actually I'm getting a long term service 'gift' from work and while it can't be cash it can apparently come from anywhere so I'm using this oppertunity to add to my set up. I have no real hardware, just a p4, monome, ux2 and h5 monitors. Think I'm gonna plump for an Electribe 2 and a Beatstep pro. That should keep within my £500 'gift'. If theres any spare (if i can shop around for the best prices) I might upgrade my interface for a Berehnger Uphoria

Any other sort of Hardware, multitrack recorders, control upgrades can save for a later date. Think I've chosen well for my budget....and sound style

• Information