roland recording via usb using hardware sounds

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fabstab

18 Aug 2018

Hi all,

I'm a bit of novice on recording, midi and synth stuff.. I've owned a handful of synths but have only recorded a few times in the past. I used reason many years ago and just had simple alesis and m-audio midi boards for recording, utilizing very basic features of reason.

I got a roland jdxi a few years ago (an electronic synth, drum sequencer / midi board) and I've had more luck with creating music on that rather than some of the complexities programs like reason, ableton and protools offer..

The one feature I absolutely loved and think is priceless, is the ability to drag and drop your recorded notes, so they are timed perfectly, the notes and octaves can be changed, and the block itself can be copied and pasted effortlessly..

What I'm trying to do, is record my jdxi to my computer, using it's sounds, not the software's, and then have a feature like described above.. For my purposes, my songs need to be very long, and right now I'm doing it live in audacity and it's very difficult to get everything spot on.. It's very difficult to edit the track and have it sync up.. Plus one missed note in 10 minutes.. ehh..

I experimented with the midi instrument option via reason 10, but I could not get it to function.. My jdxi connects via usb.. Do i simply need to get it hooked up via a midi cable? Does anyone know of any other software that would allow what I'm looking for?

Thanks for reading

obryan

08 Sep 2018

Hí Fabstab, i know this topic is a month old, but here is a few pointers.

you dont need a midi cable. the usb port transmits and recieves midi to/from reason

The Roland JD-XI is essentially 4 instruments in one synthesizer.
it has 4 fixed midi channels;
midi channel 1 = digital synth 1
midi channel 2 = digital synth 2
midi channel 3 = analog synth
midi channel 10 = drum machine

they can be split up and sequenced individually in reason.
you need to add a controller surface in reason for each of those. have a look at the below link
https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... emote.html

after you have setup the 4 surfaces with single midi channels 1-2-3-10 (all selected with jdxi midi in)
you can add 4 emi with midi channel 1-2-3-10 and lock each emi to the corresponding surface (right click an emi and choose 'lock to')
/obryan

• Information