Nektar Panorama P1

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
omkara

10 Aug 2018

So I need to be able to physically control 64 rotaries and have been looking for a practical controller to make this happen. Sadly, it's not really that easy to find one that works how I want it. At first I've been looking at the old Behringer BCR2000 and while possibly interesting, I decided not to purchase that one (second hand) as it doesn't have any faders and since I also do performances I really need those faders. So the next option was to get a Novation Launch Control XL. Thanks to a codec by Irregular Cluster this device works with Reason, BUT, the codec only provides a handful of useable MIDI CC codes that actually work. So while I can switch between banks, it's futile to do so as there aren't any more MIDI CC codes to assign to the rotaries of the new bank. The physical design is great though.

I decided, well, maybe the Akai Midimix might offer me what the Novation Launch Control XL fails to do and while to some degree it does, I just can't get used to those annoyingly small rotaries. Alternative I could replace those, but I`ll leave this entire thing as a last resort.

Next stop is the Nektar Panorama P1. You'd think this device would work flawlessly with Reason and it actually does, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to do what I want. What do I want to do with the Nektar?

Assigning the 16 Rotary knobs to their virtual counter parts. Let's call this MIDI CC 1-16 for the sake of convenience. I then would like to shift to the next preset and assign those same rotary, now effectively having different MIDI CC codes because I'm in a new preset, to another 16 virtual rotaries. I then wish to open yet another preset and assign those rotaries with unused MIDI CC codes to another 16 virtual rotaries and then last a 4th preset which unused MIDI CC codes I'd also like to assign to 16 virtual rotaries, but apparently what I want seems to be much more difficult to achieve than I stupidly assumed it would be.

Is there a solution to this? Am I overlooking something simple here? The only workaround I managed to find was by first selecting mixer and assigning rotaries. Then selecting Instrument, which has new CC codes assigned to the rotaries. Then for some reason the majority of rotaries when selecting Transport, are the same as with Mixer. And a couple didn't even work. Half way I just gave up in frustration.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2018

If I understand what you are after it's quite simple with the Nektar P-Series.

Create 4 mapping pages where you will assign from CC 00 to CC 63 for example (16 CC's per page), then you will need to remote override each of the pages to the 4 separate devices.

Out of interest is this 4 of the same device or 4 separate devices or a mix same and separate ?

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

omkara

11 Aug 2018

Hi Carly,

Thank you for replying.

I've constructed a 32 (16x Mid & 16x Side) multiband limiter. Initially I need to rotate 32 input gains to make sure the volume resides somewhere around 0dB (MClass Maximizer indicator) and then I adjust 32 output gains to sculpt the sound the way I want it.

All those rotaries belong to mixchannels. So there are 32 mixchannels of which each Rotary 1 knob modulates the input gain and Rotary 2 knob modulates the output gain.

So how exactly does the remote overriding work? I would very much appreciate it if you'd perhaps have the time to explain me how I can create 4 banks with each 16 assigned rotaries between which I can easily switch.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2018

There are 2 ways to tackle this one, from the mixer mode or as I said using remote overrides.

When using remote overrides the settings are saved with the project.

Using the mixer way is more of a rewrite of the mixer code and you would have to work in banks of 8.

I have uploaded a quick mapping in the usually dropbox location (see my sig for link to the Nektar mappings).

You need to add a TMA1 comment plate to your rack, there are four blank pages ready for the knobs to be used to remote override the gain and faders.

PoohBear

T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

• Information