Digitakt Overbridge beta and Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
electrofux

30 Jul 2018

Does anybody have insights into the Digitakt Overbridge Beta in conjunction with Reason? Dunno if there is an NDA but i have seen a video where the audio Channels get streamed into a Daw.

What interests me is how this is setup under Windows. Do you have to use the Audio Driver of the Digitakt or can you use your current sound driver and everything gets handled via the vst plugin? Or do you need Asio4All to make both run (the digitakt and your current driver).

How is sync handled. Via clock or some tighter more reliable means?

electrofux

26 Jan 2019

Overbride 2.0 beta is out. This Video shows how its working with the Elektron Rytm and Reason but is kindof dissappoint as Reason seems to not work well with it:

devilfish

16 Feb 2019

Digitakt is working..

But Reason is a pain! Only 8 Stereo outs..

Master out (1+2)
Track 1 (3+4)
Track 2 (5+6)
Track 3 (7+8)
Track 4 (9+10)
Track 5 (11+12)
Track 6 (13+14)
Track 7 (15+16)

Track 8 (no way to use/ hear it)
FX Return (also no way!!)

Reason sucks..

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

devilfish wrote:
16 Feb 2019

Reason sucks..
Sometimes, yes
:D

electrofux

19 Feb 2019

devilfish wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Digitakt is working..

Master out (1+2)
Track 1 (3+4)
Track 2 (5+6)
Track 3 (7+8)
Track 4 (9+10)
Track 5 (11+12)
Track 6 (13+14)
Track 7 (15+16)

Reason sucks..
So no way to assign the tracks to individual outs? The Tracks should be mono in the Digitakt, so there could be enough channels for the 8th track and the FX Return?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

23 Feb 2019

Heres my experience with the DT and Overbridge with Reason. It works great as a USB audio interface when selecting it as such. I can take audio from individual tracks and the Mains. I can use the two physical inputs on the DT as separate tracks and they monitor with very little latency. But using the VST? Garbage. Audio is chirpy as shit no matter what I do. I figure thats just a Reason shortcoming. I'll give it another go using Renoise and see if it works better.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

OverneathTheSkyBridg

23 Feb 2019

Just checked with the Digitakt and Renoise. Overbridge runs flawlessly in it as a VST while using my regular sound card, so it's definitely a Reason issue. Your best bet with Reason is just to sync via MIDI over USB and record the audio in to an audio track. The DT's master compressor section really fattens up the sound as it is.

Cableguy

29 May 2020

I also use my Digitakt as an audio interface and have assigned an audio track in Reason to each of the individual outputs. This works better than integration via VST. Especially because on the back of the VST plugin a mono channel still uses both stereo channels, also in Overbridge 2.0. No idea if this is a problem in Reason or Overbridge.

But I would like to integrate my Digitone as well. But I haven't found a way to access the single outputs of Digitakt and Digitone at the same time inside Reason. Do you have an idea how I can connect both devices without VST?

VariableX

29 May 2020

I have had good success using Overbridge and Digitone with reason, especially as an audio device. You do have to timker around with some settings in Overbridge to get the sound clean ( overbridge 2.0)
Haven't used it for a while like this, I have been using my OPZ as a sound card and controller all the time... great with Reason on a laptop.

Cableguy

30 May 2020

devilfish wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Digitakt is working..

Master out (1+2)
Track 1 (3+4)
Track 2 (5+6)
Track 3 (7+8)
Track 4 (9+10)
Track 5 (11+12)
Track 6 (13+14)
Track 7 (15+16)

Reason sucks..
Does this wrong behavior also occur in Reason 11? I only have Reason 10.
Actually Digitakt should only use 12 single outputs in total, just like Digitone.

Sterioevo

30 May 2020

It is a bit weird in implementation but...

If you go into Audio Routing in the settings with Route to Main highlighted, you can then choose what channels you want to go to the main outs. You can select channels 1 to 8 on 1-8 as expected and the delay/reverb on the filter/amp buttons will activate these fx to the main outs 1/2.

Edit: if you then highlight "Send to FX" in the routing settings you can choose which channels fx are sent to the main outs 1/2.

So what this means is that you can have as you put forward:
Master out (1+2)
Track 1 (3+4)
Track 2 (5+6)
Track 3 (7+8)
Track 4 (9+10)
Track 5 (11+12)
Track 6 (13+14)
Track 7 (15+16)

AND the Master Out (1+2) can be any of the channels (e.g. channel 8), plus and/or delay and/or reverb per track...

Cableguy

30 May 2020

Yeah, right, I know this settings. However, it is still a bug that a mono output use both channels of a stereo output. This means that the eighth mono output is not available, as Reason only supports 16 outputs. This should be fixed!

Sterioevo

30 May 2020

May well be a bug that the pan settings on each track do not have any effect, particularly considering the send fx are pannable.

Whose bug is it? My guess is Elektron, have you reported? Maybe it is by design and ITFM :)

Sterioevo

30 May 2020

Track 8 can be assigned to 1/2. I don't understand what Reason needs to fix?

Cableguy

01 Jun 2020

Reason should have more VST outs. Then Track 8 and FX wouldn't have to mixed.

Sterioevo

01 Jun 2020

I am not sure this is a Reason thing. There are 8 X stereo tracks in Ableton available from the digitakt (plus a stereo input in Ableton and Reason).
Pretty sure this is by design, I will have a look..

Sterioevo

01 Jun 2020

6.8 MULTIPLE OUTPUTS
The plugin exposes multiple audio outputs to the DAW. The first stereo channel is always the Main Out of the device. The remaining plugin output channels are the individual outputs from the synth or drum voices (plus Ext. In on Keys/Four) on your Elektron device.

Cableguy

02 Jun 2020

Because of the small number of outputs not only track 8 is missing, but also the extra input channel. I think it's definitely a Reason problem.

Sterioevo

02 Jun 2020

Ok. Hmmm.
After having a bit more of a go with overbridge, yes I agree there are issues with Reason.
Ableton also has some issues that are different to Reason, although the panning issue seems to be the same. I can get 8 tracks, send FX and the input into Ableton all on different tracks at the same time though.
Have you contacted Reason Studios or Elektron?

Cableguy

02 Jun 2020

No, I haven't informed anyone.

The panning issue is also present in Bitwig and it is also discussed in the elektron forum.

electrofux

12 Jul 2020

How about the issue with the Midi Parameters not all showing up (in the video). Is that still a thing? I assume Digitakt has way less parameters per track than the Rytm, so maybe all parameters are exposed in the overbridge-VST within Reason.

If you use it as an audio interface, what inputs/outputs do you get from the usb? 8 Mono + 1 Stereo? - just kindof read somewhere that it is 2 in and out?
which would mean you definitly need overbridge to get the single tracks into Reason, right? But then you end up with the limitation in Reason and the FX always coming out over track 1/2 together with at least another track of drums, right?

And does it sync well via Midi? Have to say i havent ever managed to sync Reason via Midi Clock with another sequencer, it was allways quirky in some way. How does it sync with overbridge anyways?

Cableguy

13 Jul 2020

I tried to sync Reason via Midi Clock but that doesn't worked very well for me. When Reason was the master and the Elektron devices get the sync from VST plugins there were no big timing issues.

At the end I removed my Elektron devices away from my computer and Reason. I have more fun using some alone, even though I am more limited. But that is what makes it so much more appealing and I am much more creative.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jul 2020

arsc wrote:
13 Jul 2020
I tried to sync Reason via Midi Clock but that doesn't worked very well for me. When Reason was the master and the Elektron devices get the sync from VST plugins there were no big timing issues.

At the end I removed my Elektron devices away from my computer and Reason. I have more fun using some alone, even though I am more limited. But that is what makes it so much more appealing and I am much more creative.
I also prefer working with it away from the computer, then later record the separate audio tracks using the digitakt standalone software and then import into the daw to finish the music. I find it more efficient and creative that way :)

• Information