How good are your ears?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Marco Raaphorst

30 Jul 2018

Ever did this listening test:
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/ ... io-quality

It compares uncompressed files to 128 and 320 kbps MP3 versions.

I am 50 now. Everything above 15.5 kHz doesn't exists for me. I used to have great hearing, better than most people I worked with. Today I already am the loser compared to my 16 year old daughter. Of course :)

Must say I am able to pick out the 128 kbps version in the above test. But I got the 320 versus uncompressed versions mixed up a couple of times.

Please do this test. Tell me what you're hearing and feeling.

Great to get old, you cut the bullshit... :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2018

Ah shit. I guessed two of each alternative. I'm pretty dissapointed with myself.

I still think it's way easier when you compare your own music that you've worked and know inside and out. You render out a wav file, upload it to Soundcloud and all of a sudden it sounds a lot crappier.

audiojoe07

30 Jul 2018

That was an awesome article. I missed two of the answers. Some were very easy. The first instinct is to listen for the high-end frequencies, more obvious is to try to hear any undesirable sound artifacts. The easiest was by far Mozart's Piano Concerto, the 1 second of differences in white noise at the beginning is the most revealing.

It's not easy to hear the subtle differences, takes a lot of experience. There's an article here that has a training video that is supposed to help you recognize different frequencies more accurately: https://www.audiogearz.com/improve-mixi ... -training/

MarkTarlton

30 Jul 2018

you might find this interesting :)

Marco Raaphorst

31 Jul 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Jul 2018
you might find this interesting :)

yeah nice one!

I agree. And I do feel like a mix should have a low pass at 16 kHz. Never like these high frequencies. Annoyed me. Even that tv 15 kHz tone dove me nuts for many years. Now it's finally gone :)

demt

06 Aug 2018

mine are trained to appreciate loud volumes due to large jets on heathrows flight path
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2018

128kbps actually sounds better (to me)

• Information